Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree I will support the coach and give him a fair shake whoever is hired. However, I think that if Woodson doesn't cut it in 5 years IU will be in worse shape than it is now. There is no sure fire slam dunk hires, but I believe a proven P5 coach is the least likely to fail. I think we all agree we don't want to be back here in 4-5 years with another coaching search. I also am not limiting myself to one specific candidate, but I want someone with a proven college record.

the names from power 5 I see hasn't done it more than a couple of years in Musselman and Oats.  Oats was 16-15 last year at Alabama so we are going to go off of one good season.  We said Davis won with RMK players and a lot of Oats players were already at Alabama when Oats got there.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He tweeted that out after the Franklin news too. He might be playing by himself if he comes back next year.

So, not really much different from this past season actually. 

Interesting he is tweeting this though right? Maybe he's actually taking my advice and thinking about staying? LOL

38 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your whole "I'm a better fan than you" schtick is honestly getting really tiring. Fans are allowed to have expectations for the teams they root for. IU has failed to meet those expectations for the past two decades. The only embarrassing thing here has been IU basketball for the past 20 years.  That's why we're a national laughing stock. 

I have no problem with high expectations.  The nauseatingly negative opinions about a coaching search that people know absolutely nothing about yet are childish.

14 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree I will support the coach and give him a fair shake whoever is hired. However, I think that if Woodson doesn't cut it in 5 years IU will be in worse shape than it is now. There is no sure fire slam dunk hires, but I believe a proven P5 coach is the least likely to fail. I think we all agree we don't want to be back here in 4-5 years with another coaching search. I also am not limiting myself to one specific candidate, but I want someone with a proven college record.

If the next coach does not succeed within 5 years, regardless of who it is, the program will be in less good shape. We simply do not agree on whether Woodson represents a bad risk. 

We also don't agree on what "proven power 5 means". There is only 1 proven power 5 guy that is seriously mentioned: Drew (& maybe Alford). And I would not place him at the top for reason mentioned above.

• Beard is getting close to "proven" but would need a couple more years for proven
  • Oats and Musselman have only been in P5 for 2 years, I am not sure how that is proven by anyone's standard

I think they are all potentially great hires, but there is no "Roy Williams to UNC" in 2003 slam dunk hires on this list.

EDIT: More accurately, there was - but he elected to stay in Boston (and technically he is not a proven power 5 guy).

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Mike Davis was part of the IU family. He spent three seasons coaching alongside Bob Knight day in and day out. He knew about the program and its history. He knew what Indiana basketball was all about. But it still didn't work out.

There was no "philosophy" that worked for IU. What worked for IU was Bob Knight. IU had the greatest coach in college basketball for years. He's what worked for us. Can one of the 'IU guys' bring that back to the program? Because if not, there's not really anything that an IU guy brings that we couldn't get from someone else. 

He went to the championship game

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

the names from power 5 I see hasn't done it more than a couple of years in Musselman and Oats.  Oats was 16-15 last year at Alabama so we are going to go off of one good season.  We said Davis won with RMK players and a lot of Oats players were already at Alabama when Oats got there.

Musselman has NBA experience as well. I never said a peep about Oats. I would like Chris Beard though.

Just now, IUHoosierJoe said:

I have no problem with high expectations.  The nauseatingly negative opinions about a coaching search that people know absolutely nothing about yet are childish.

That's a coaching search for ya. Hiring a good coach is all we have to look forward to at this point, so any 'news' that we might not land a good one is going to get strong reactions from people. 

2 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Amen but the young generation has no clue what patience is and what instand gratification

1 minute ago, Evariste Galois said:

If the next coach does not succeed within 5 years, regardless of who it is, the program will be in less good shape. We simply do not agree on whether Woodson represents a bad risk. 

We don't agree on what "proven power 5 means". There is only 1 proven power 5 guy that is seriously mentioned: Drew (& maybe Alford). And I would not place him at the top for reason mentioned above.

• Beard is getting close to "proven" but would need a couple more years for proven
  • Oats and Musselman have only been in P5 for 2 years, I am not sure how that is proven by anyone's standard

I think they are all be potentially great hires, but there is no "Roy Williams to UNC" in 2003 slam dunk hires on this list.

Beard and Drew would be my top two. I would be good with Musselman.

I do not want Alford.

I respect your posts/opinions. We can agree to disagree on Woodson.

1 minute ago, brandct said:

I wouldn't bet on that, but you can think what you like. 

LOL!  I have been a fan of IU longer and most on here has been alive.  I know what great IU teams look like and what made those teams great.  If we can't get guys like Stevens or Bennett or Beard then I would rather go with an IU guy over the next flavor of the month coach.  Crean and Archie was considered very good hires who was up and coming and how did that work.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Musselman has NBA experience as well. I never said a peep about Oats. I would like Chris Beard though.

Musselman's NBA experience is significantly less impressive than Woodson's. 

I would be very excited about Beard (and even Musselman for that matter - or Oats - I think we have a great list of "hypothetical" candidates.) But let's be honest, if he did not have the RMK connection, there would not be any talk about him coming to IU either. 

My only point, is that I definitely could see why Dolson might decide that Woodson is the best option out of all them. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

LOL!  I have been a fan of IU longer and most on here has been alive.  I know what great IU teams look like and what made those teams great.  If we can't get guys like Stevens or Bennett or Beard then I would rather go with an IU guy over the next flavor of the month coach.  Crean and Archie was considered very good hires who was up and coming and how did that work.

A guy that has actually produced at the NCAA level is less of a "flavor of the month" then someone who has never coached in the NCAA.