Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

This is one hellacious thread.

Heres the vibe From January, 2021. The general board take in mid-January was “They’ll never fire Archie after this year.” Wrong-O! Lots of love for Beard, who was two jobs ago.

Some sample posts:

On 1/14/2021 at 10:11 PM, Trish said:

Only IU guy I’d call is Dane Fife. 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, Stuhoo said:

Get past this “multiple final fours/Mark Few/Brad Stevens/geriatrics with no experience/70 year old John ‘players are thugs’ Belien” complete nonsense.

For real?

Darian Devries

Casey Alexander

Dane Fife

On 1/15/2021 at 10:40 AM, HoosierAloha said:

Archie isn’t getting canned at the end of the season. There’s about 0% chance of that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 1/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, Trish said:

Offer Stevens $8million a year.

Let his wife run the Law School / replace Quinn Buckner on the Board of Trustee's.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:37 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Here is our best list in my opinion(not that I want or don't any of them)

John Beilein

Dane Fife

Steve Alford

Dana Altman

Chris Collins

Mike Woodson

Randy Wittman

Mike White

On 1/18/2021 at 12:59 PM, Trish said:

Im not sold on a coach who hasn’t coached in four years and was in declining health and overall program success. 

I’d like to think we can do better than Thad Matta.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:29 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

MY Top 5 and who I want

1. John Beilein

2. Avery Johnson

3. Steve Alford

4. Dana Altman

5. Jon Scheyer

On 1/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, MemphisHoosier said:

For fun, here are my tiers for the next 12-18 months:

Low-Likelihood, Home Run Hires

1) Chris Beard

2) Billy Donovan (super-low likelihood)

'Most Likely', Solid Category

1) Nate Oats

2) Mike White

3) Eric Musselman

4) Steve Prohm (on the fence here)

Short Term, Turn-Around

1) Thad Matta 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just a comment in regards to Newton.  I think it's a huge mistake if we put a lot of faith in Jakai being a major contributor next season.  Kid hasn't played competitive ball in 2 years.  Would dearly love to have him prove me wrong but if the staff puts that kind faith in his return, then that's one less upgrade we'll be looking for in the portal.

Agree completely, and that’s coming from the biggest Newton fan whose last name isn’t Newton. But I will say this: before that kid got hurt he was every bit the player that Stephon Castle was and Castle is now a 1 and done lottery pick. Not saying Newton is that. Just saying he’s 1 hell of a lottery ticket and I really hope he stays.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is one hellacious thread.

Heres the vibe From January, 2021. The general board take in mid-January was “They’ll never fire Archie after this year.” Wrong-O! Lots of love for Beard, who was two jobs ago.

Some sample posts:

I knew we should have went after Jon Scheyer lol.

Here is our best list in my opinion(not that I want or don't any of them)
John Beilein
Dane Fife
Steve Alford
Dana Altman
Chris Collins
Mike Woodson
Randy Wittman
Mike White

I think this list is pretty sad, and we can do far better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Who would’ve predicted that Chris Collins was probably the best call out of LCS’s entire list!

Still only 49. Not my cup of tea but I’m curious what he can do after Boo Buie graduates. If they can maintain some level of quality I wonder if he’ll get a look at a bigger job if he wants it eventually.

I don't know much about the guy but his overall record and the direction in which he's taken each program he's coached (except Iowa State) speaks for itself, most notably in his current gig.

Greg McDermott. I don't know, maybe that's a dumb idea and/or recency bias (yes while I'm watching Creighton lol). He's probably locked in there. But you can't deny he improves every program he's touched. 

Just a comment in regards to Newton.  I think it's a huge mistake if we put a lot of faith in Jakai being a major contributor next season.  Kid hasn't played competitive ball in 2 years.  Would dearly love to have him prove me wrong but if the staff puts that kind faith in his return, then that's one less upgrade we'll be looking for in the portal.
Agreed we have no idea if he will be any good or not. It was like the faith many seemed to have in gunn for this year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

https://www.on3.com/news/alabama-coach-nate-oats-named-possibility-to-replace-kenny-payne-at-louisville/

Parrish days Nate Oats would be a possibility for UL if/when they move on from Payne. If there's a chance he'd leave Bama IU should 100% make that call, he's done pretty well in a bigger conference.

11 hours ago, lillurk said:

Still only 49. Not my cup of tea but I’m curious what he can do after Boo Buie graduates. If they can maintain some level of quality I wonder if he’ll get a look at a bigger job if he wants it eventually.

Collins has been able to seize the moment of the Big Ten being absolutely terrible. Better question is, if he stays at NW, how will he do when the Big Ten is good again?

Give me Pearl.

Give me McDermott.

Give me Oats.

Give me Sampson.

Give me the dude from Indiana State.

Just give me someone who knows what they are doing. 

Indiana State coach post game as ISU beat Missouri State by 2.  Schertz said ISU could not hit a three ball and last year it caused a 5 game losing streak.  At Missouri State this year they had trouble hitting a 3 today but played defense and made some plays.  So Missouri State was 4 of 20 from 3 point range.  Well, Indiana State was 12 of 40.  Schertz said it’s a mathematical win.  Lol.