Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

32 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I know there's bad feelings because IU fired his sister years ago, but Tony Bennett would be that proven winner so many want.  I wonder if Bennett is ready for a change of scenery. 

I don't really like the style of their play so he's not my first choice but that would certainly be a home run hire. He does win a lot of games and has a NC. His style might also be better in the B1G than ACC. Winning is fun so the style would probably only seem boring if we were losing.

24 minutes ago, Demo said:

Patience, young Grasshopper. 

I will try.

Is waiting two more months patient enough?

That’s my patience limit. Not five years with Pearl getting senior discounts all around Bloomington.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I will try.

That’s my patience limit. Not five years with Pearl getting senior discounts all around Bloomington.

I’d much rather watch Pearl come win immediately than wait 3-4 years for Dusty May to figure things out at a P5 school. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’d much rather watch Pearl come win immediately than wait 3-4 years for Dusty May to figure things out at a P5 school. 

I'd love that too, but Pearl hasn't won immediately anywhere he's been, so it's hard for me to just assume that he'd do it here.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And I’d much rather have Dusty May at age 47 build a culture for 25 years than …

have Steven Pearl’s first head coaching job anywhere be at IU in two or three years, when Pearl has a health issue and steps down.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And I’d much rather have Dusty May at age 47 build a culture for 25 years than …

have Steven Pearl’s first head coaching job anywhere be at IU in two or three years, when Pearl has a health issue and steps down.

That’s a lot of moving parts. 

Based on the last 25 years I say there’s a lot better chance Dusty May only sees 5 years than 25 years. I could see Pearl taking the Indiana job to give way to his son getting the Auburn job.

13 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I'd love that too, but Pearl hasn't won immediately anywhere he's been, so it's hard for me to just assume that he'd do it here.

I mean, that just isn’t true at all, lol. He started out at USI. D2 runner up in year 2. D2 champions in year 3.  For all the talk about how Dusty “built a program out of nothing, Milwaukee had zero tournament appearances in school history before Pearl took over. Goes 11-5 in the conference his first year ( better than any of Dusty’s first four seasons ). Makes the tournament his second season. Wins his conference in years 3 and 4. Goes to the sweet 16 in year 4. 

IMG_8537.thumb.jpeg.7ebfe4f5722dfd42893987c6272c3030.jpeg

Follows that up by killing it immediately at Tennessee. 12-4 in the SEC in year 1. Sweet 16 in year 2. 31 wins in year 3 and another sweet 16. 3 sweet 16s in his first 5 years, an elite 8 and 6 straight tournament appearances. 

IMG_8538.thumb.png.752483175dbfeeed80ce43056aca7d95.png

There is absolutely zero comparison between Peal and May. Pearl has won and won big everywhere he’s been for 25+ years. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I will try.

There are a lot of complicated moving parts with Pearl and I just don’t see it. The fact that he’s been busted at every single D1 job he’s had, as both HC and Asst, may not be disqualifying but it should be part of the calculation to a program that was literally incinerated by a guy like that. Dude got busted at Milwaukee for God’s sake, are you kidding me? He’s on a long deal for top of the market jack right now. Are you ready to pay a huge buyout and then reset the market, because that’s probably what it’s gonna take? Plus, any deal will certainly include Steven Pearl as a designated successor. Given Bruce’s age you better believe Steven’s a Guy as well and if you don’t you have no deal. But the guy energizes programs and he wins, so it’s defensible if you’re willing to swallow all that. 

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

There are a lot of complicated moving parts with Pearl and I just don’t see it. The fact that he’s been busted at every single D1 job he’s had, as both HC and Asst, may not be disqualifying but it should be part of the calculation to a program that was literally incinerated by a guy like that. Dude got busted at Milwaukee for God’s sake, are you kidding me? He’s on a long deal for top of the market jack right now. Are you ready to pay a huge buyout and then reset the market, because that’s probably what it’s gonna take? Plus, any deal will certainly include Steven Pearl as a designated successor. Given Bruce’s age you better believe Steven’s a Guy as well and if you don’t you have no deal. But the guy energizes programs and he wins, so it’s defensible if you’re willing to swallow all that. 

There is literally zero chance IU brings in Pearl, it’s like Sampsongate is just forgotten in this thread. 
Maybe we can go after Calipari…

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, that just isn’t true at all, lol. He started out at USI. D2 runner up in year 2. D2 champions in year 3.  For all the talk about how Dusty “built a program out of nothing, Milwaukee had zero tournament appearances in school history before Pearl took over. Goes 11-5 in the conference his first year ( better than any of Dusty’s first four seasons ). Makes the tournament his second season. Wins his conference in years 3 and 4. Goes to the sweet 16 in year 4. 

IMG_8537.thumb.jpeg.7ebfe4f5722dfd42893987c6272c3030.jpeg

Follows that up by killing it immediately at Tennessee. 12-4 in the SEC in year 1. Sweet 16 in year 2. 31 wins in year 3 and another sweet 16. 3 sweet 16s in his first 5 years, an elite 8 and 6 straight tournament appearances. 

IMG_8538.thumb.png.752483175dbfeeed80ce43056aca7d95.png

There is absolutely zero comparison between Peal and May. Pearl has won and won big everywhere he’s been for 25+ years. 

Nothing beyond the Sweet 16 until year 5 at his P5 stops is “killing it?”  Not for this fan base.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d be OK with Pearl at this point, but he didn’t get deep in the tourney any faster than Dusty did at a low major.

2 minutes ago, kottke said:

He had a winning record in season one everywhere he has been but Auburn.

Well, Indiana has a winning record right now, if that’s your bar for what was termed in the post I responded to as “winning immediately.”  I mean, May has never had a losing season at a school that had almost all losing seasons before he got there.  I’d take both over what we have, and there’s pluses and minuses to both.

1 minute ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Nothing beyond the Sweet 16 until year 5 at his P5 stops is “killing it?”  Not for this fan base.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d be OK with Pearl at this point, but he didn’t get deep in the tourney any faster than Dusty did at a low major.

I imagine he’d jumpstart the program in a big way, that’s what he does, but I’m not sure I’m ready to give a Bill Self contract to a guy who’s not Bill Self and have to commit to his kid at the same time. But maybe the kid wreaks of leadership and you have a ready-made succession plan. We’re not figuring that one out around here. 

Just now, Demo said:

I imagine he’d jumpstart the program in a big way, that’s what he does, but I’m not sure I’m ready to give a Bill Self contract to a guy who’s not Bill Self and have to commit to his kid at the same time. But maybe the kid wreaks of leadership and you have a ready-made succession plan. We’re not figuring that one out around here. 

Everybody talks about Pearl's son being the next coach but what info is there that would be the case. Maybe he becomes Auburn's coach if Bruce leaves

I’m wondering if there are some other possible candidates out there that the U may be looking at (look at down the road) that are strong, legit candidates but that we’re overlooking, I mean like a Pasternack, Hell of a job at Santa Barbara, 27 W’s last season was most ever there, or Jeff Linder, Wyoming after Northern Colo. - his rebuild track record looks good.