Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Funny how our all time leading scorer made his living shooting those terrible shots. Alford only had the 3 one year a d is the second.leading scorer. With some of the shot blockers taking it to the basket is a lower percentage shot. Funny we lived and loved the game way before analytics and IU scored around 80 points a game. Not many teams average that much today and the offenses are horrible.

I have no clue what you’re talking about or how that pertains to analytics? Analytics is nothing more than data. It’s a mathematical fact that a 3 point shot is a more efficient shot (over an entire setting) than a 15 foot jump shot. You’re literally arguing against data and math.

30 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

How has this IU team, built like it's still the 90s done against teams whose coaches have based their offenses and defenses on those metrics? The answer is "pretty poorly." Those teams are blowing IU out, not the other way around. 

Coaches adopted them because they are effective, no other reason. If they were shown to not work, the coaches who tried them wouldn't last long.

Also, that isn't a new concept. The Pitino UK teams played with that philosophy and they were really good. Won a NC.

This team doesn't even look like college basketball of the  80's and 90's

I bet you haven't ever seen a college game from that era. It was a beautiful brand of offense with little dribbling in the half court and had player and ball movement.

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

I have no clue what you’re talking about or how that pertains to analytics? Analytics is nothing more than data. It’s a mathematical fact that a 3 point shot is a more efficient shot (over an entire setting) than a 15 foot jump shot. You’re literally arguing against data and math.

Just saying if offenses would still use the open 12-15 shot and the players would work at it, that offense would still score more points than just shooting 3's and layups.

Take Alabama they score a lot of points and play fast and when they are hitting 3's they look unbeatable. The problem is when they aren't hitting the 3 they really struggle to win. Also their defense is so bad this year that they can't afford to have an off night.

I just like to see a variety on style if play but today everyone looks the same

9 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Just saying if offenses would still use the open 12-15 shot and the players would work at it, that offense would still score more points than just shooting 3's and layups.

Take Alabama they score a lot of points and play fast and when they are hitting 3's they look unbeatable. The problem is when they aren't hitting the 3 they really struggle to win. Also their defense is so bad this year that they can't afford to have an off night.

I just like to see a variety on style if play but today everyone looks the same

Alabama and Purdue are #1 and #2 in offensive efficiency and are two of the most analytical teams in the country. 

52 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

My fear is Dolson becomes fixated on May. We will have to beat out a few solid programs for the proven guys.

If we can afford to pay the buyout for a fired coach every 3-4 years, we can up the annual pay for a proven P5 coach.  We shouldn’t take no for answer.  Quit pussyfooting around and get an experienced, proven, quality coach who knows X’s and O’s and runs a good program.  

9 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

We have to at least call Oats and see if there is any interest. I’m telling you. He’s the best fit for IU. Pearl would win. May could possibly win. I’m 50/50… Oats would be a legend here immediately. 

I was told last night by someone very connected to the Bama program there is a decent chance Oates moves north after this season. They were thinking more Michigan or Ohio State, but sounds like he's open to a change of scenery. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Guess we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I was told last night by someone very connected to the Bama program there is a decent chance Oates moves north after this season. They were thinking more Michigan or Ohio State, but sounds like he's open to a change of scenery. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Guess we'll see.

Hey; I’ll give you a coaching style comp for Nate Oats:

Oats = Branch McCracken with a three ball

I am only talking about the college game. The NBA offense today is amazing 

This gets back to my point about talent though. The problem is not with the offensive philosophy, it's with the talent. College talent is significantly diluted since guys started leaving early regularly. I think even if you moved the best coaching from the 80s to today it wouldn't be nearly as effective, both because the offensive skill level is lower, and the defensive athleticism is much greater.

You can't compare teams from the 80s and 90s to today. None of those teams would exist today because almost all of the players would have already been in the NBA for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Well to me the ppg is the most important thing. I couldn't care less about some of these made up advanced metrics crap.

Even if you use straight ppg, you'd still have to adjust that number for the strength of offenses they have faced to make it relevant.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

48. Attended camp in the 80s. His son David was older at that point, but still VERY energetic. Wokes us up loudly singing, "Roll out the barrels...

Sorry, I just think anything with McCraken or his son’s would make you much older.  I guess I’ve got you beat, lol

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

oats.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That guy wearing the sweatshirt has a $10,000,000 buyout through March, 2025.

And Woodson’s is $12,000,000….we are gonna need more donors….  :)

I honestly think if/when this actually becomes official and IU is in the market for a new bb coach, it will finally be proven, quality coach. Dolson and Co. are going to want to really make this right. We totally have the funds to pay for an Oats, Pearl type coach ….JMO