Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Like I said, Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all. We will find players to fill the last 3-4 spots (depending on if Woody want a full roster). But we can’t just fill the spots with warm bodies if we want to avoid a big step backwards. Our prospects next year are extremely reliant on who we get in the portal and I’m not feeling great about that.
It's April 4th. The official off-season just began

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

No reason to get worked up about Love. At first, we weren't even going to recruit him, everyone was ok, then we decide to talk to him and everyone thinks he was ours but after talking to him, it was decided it wasn't a good fit by either him or us. We move on. 

Some of the best players to be in the portal very possibly haven't even announced their intentions to enter it yet.

Some good news, X will announce he's back today on the HH podcast. 

Fantastic news- getting X back AND Love moving on. No matter what else happens, NOT getting Love is the biggest win of the off-season. 

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Did you even watch the tournament?

You have to remember a large percentage of our fanbase still acts like it's 1995. They think players only transfer if they aren't playing and are too soft to stick around and fight for more playing time. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

No reason to get worked up about Love. At first, we weren't even going to recruit him, everyone was ok, then we decide to talk to him and everyone thinks he was ours but after talking to him, it was decided it wasn't a good fit by either him or us. We move on. 

Some of the best players to be in the portal very possibly haven't even announced their intentions to enter it yet.

Some good news, X will announce he's back today on the HH podcast. 

Thanks for that bit of good news.

2 hours ago, Artie86 said:

....Here, Here! Finally....OMG. Yes, X is and elite level PG and if he is granted another year at IU, we will be in decent shape. Another thing, I don't think people are giving Cupp's potential, much attention either. I'm not saying he is going to walk in an start, but he is someone who will definitely surprise many people. I mean,....how many of us thought 1st TEAM ALL BIGTEN freshman, Braeden Smith would have done what he did for Purdue? I know they have different gifts, but man....I'm super excited about incoming freshmen Cupps and Newton.

What is your definition of elite level PG?

Wondering the same thing. XJ makes next year's team better without question. But to refer to him as 'elite' is a big stretch imo. He's got some elite traits but not enough to consider him as a whole 'elite'.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Any player of X's level and above?  :)

Anyway, I wouldn't call him elite but I'll call him a very good one.  I would say that currently he is the most important player to our success next season.

FWIW, rostercast on Torvik has IU's roster current at #64.  Adding X and no one else moves IU to #41.

If we don't get certain guys in the portal we'll most likely be facing a difficult season - "freaking out"

This is the perfect opportunity for Woody to bring in "his guys" and make it work. I guess he wasn't allowed to do that the past few off seasons because continuity or something. Get your guys, implement a system that wins, and go win something meaningful.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Because I don’t want us to suck next year? We went 23-12, made it to the round of 32, and then lost 4 starters. 1 of those starters was a top 3 player in college basketball, another starter is a projected first round pick, and a third starter was our best shooter. Our bench was very weak last season and we lost 2 of our 3 main bench rotational players. Neither were good, but we still need to replace those minutes. We only have two freshmen coming in and neither projects to be instant impact. 

Getting Xavier back will help, but we still have a ton of holes to fill. That’s why he needs to hit it out of the park. Otherwise you’re looking at a missed tournament which will kill the momentum we have going. Our coach is 65 years old. He doesn’t have ‘rebuilding’ time

I respectfully disagree....

I know this is basketball we are talking about. I would love knocking it out of the park! Maybe we do, maybe we don't. In the end, I want to win the game. It's strategy. It's also about what's going to fit and make you and your team better. I'm ok with that double! Lay a sac bunt down, hit the player in or move him in scoring position. Play smart, keep the inning going and make them have to change pitchers over and over. I think Coach Woodson has done a great job for only coaching in his second year in NCAA ever. Yes, he may have just turned 65 last month, but he as done a hell of a lot more that any other recent IU coaches have in their first 2 years, since Mike Davis (inherited Coach Knight's solid roster).

*** I purposely left out Coach Sampson, though successful his first 2 years as well, he put a stain on IU with his recruiting infractions.

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Wondering the same thing. XJ makes next year's team better without question. But to refer to him as 'elite' is a big stretch imo. He's got some elite traits but not enough to consider him as a whole 'elite'.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I love me some XJ and think he brings intangibles we haven't had in awhile but it's been almost a 1:1 with great to wtf games. He has the potential to raise the team to another level but hasn't consistently shown that at IU. That's not elite to me.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I love me some XJ and think he brings intangibles we haven't had in awhile but it's been almost a 1:1 with great to wtf games. He has the potential to raise the team to another level but hasn't consistently shown that at IU. That's not elite to me.

I think the positive thing about the 1:1 ratio is its frontloaded with wtf and backloaded with good to great.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Any player of X's level and above?  :)

Anyway, I wouldn't call him elite but I'll call him a very good one.  I would say that currently he is the most important player to our success next season.

Would agree with being the most important player going into next season but if he's trying to do it alone we'll be in trouble. Hopefully he's taking a few younger guys under his wing and instilling a little fight in them.

It's odd the ones building up the freaking out are the same as the ones claiming elite level PGs or something like that.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

I think the positive thing about the 1:1 ratio is its frontloaded with wtf and backloaded with good to great.

Ehhh, think it's a bit skewed and we overvalue that short stretch where we still only played ~.500 ball. He had some great games but he had a few games where he shot us out of it or almost shot us out of it.

I think X having to sit and watch for basically 2/3 of a season is going to help him see the game at a whole new level. Not to mention he was very locked in and basically an extra coach. I think this year helped him take another step as a leader and that should help.

4 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

I think X having to sit and watch for basically 2/3 of a season is going to help him see the game at a whole new level. Not to mention he was very locked in and basically an extra coach. I think this year helped him take another step as a leader and that should help.

I hope that is the case. It's possible he tries to do too much (there's a history here) being the best or one of the best players on the team too.

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would agree with being the most important player going into next season but if he's trying to do it alone we'll be in trouble. Hopefully he's taking a few younger guys under his wing and instilling a little fight in them.

It's odd the ones building up the freaking out are the same as the ones claiming elite level PGs or something like that.

Only one person has called X elite.

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm seeing intimations here that X will be back. 

Are we just referring to his intentions -- or has he actually been granted the waiver? 

Haven't seen anything yet that the NCAA has issued any ruling. 

@Chris007indicated that it will be announced shortly.