Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A few days ago when Xavier tweeted something along the lines of "time to get to work" I pretty much assumed we were good to go.

Thanks/props again to that poster on our board who explained that the three Hoosier Classic games weren't counted in the calculations and that X would be a relatively easy waiver approval.

So... what you're saying is... our staff knew the whole time XJ would get a waiver. 

Multiple posters on here thought our staff was just guessing lol 

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well, you shouldn't feel great about it because so many guys haven't even entered the portal yet. We didn't get Miller Kopp two years ago till April 20th. 

Was he our last one that year? I can’t remember. Just trying to compare timelines 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Was he our last one that year? I can’t remember. Just trying to compare timelines 

April 7th was when XJ committed.. so even the "earliest" of transfers don't really start until the end of this week. Or start announcing. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Like I said, Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all. We will find players to fill the last 3-4 spots (depending on if Woody want a full roster). But we can’t just fill the spots with warm bodies if we want to avoid a big step backwards. Our prospects next year are extremely reliant on who we get in the portal and I’m not feeling great about that.

Uh...I have a different perspective.  His whole recruiting the portal season really is in the first third of the season.  He has gotten to bat and gotten one decent hit, so far.  

Why not let him step up to bat in each game and swing at many more pitches the whole season before giving him the ole Bronx cheer?

He really does know that he has to get more really good players.  Better than we do.

I will bet one (and only one) drink* that he does a decent job getting players out of the portal this season.

I'm not clutching at my pearls like I did the last two decades plus.

IU men's basketball is going to look a lot different when we get some players that can hit shots, make their own shots, defend better, and go after loose balls like their hair is on fire.  The choice is a shot doctor or just more shots*.

Four Roses Bourbon

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

A few days ago when Xavier tweeted something along the lines of "time to get to work" I pretty much assumed we were good to go.

Thanks/props again to that poster on our board who explained that the three Hoosier Classic games weren't counted in the calculations and that X would be a relatively easy waiver approval.

Do you recall the reasoning for why these aren't included? Missed this - just curious

Just now, hper50 said:

Do you recall the reasoning for why these aren't included? Missed this - just curious

I searched those messages.. I couldn't find the reasonsing. I also didn't look too hard.... 

But.. maybe to encourage "bigger" schools to invite/have events like this to create more opportunities for the smaller schools to play the big boys? That's a guess. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Or we could name the innumerable rosters that look great already would be another way to look at it.

Here’s my take.

X, Gallo, Reneau-we kinda know what we got. Reneau can be special. Will it be next year. We’ll see.

Banks, Gunn- potential at some point. Ideally not starters yet.

Sparks is a legit back up big. I think. The B1G could swallow him up, but I feel he’ll hold his own.

Cupps- my opinions are out there. I’m expecting backup minutes and not a huge + as a freshman on the court.

Newton-that injury worries me.

Leal- Woody seems destined to give him the Priller treatment.

4 extra pieces is huge. Hope isn’t lost but it’s a tough hill to climb. Imo we need 3 starter quality pieces to be at the top of the B1G and even then it’s how they gel, coaching etc. Michigan State will be strong, Purdue will be silly if Edey returns. If Maryland get Dickinson plus that recruiting class and Young they are up top. Illinois Nils as much as us, and they need arguably more the us. The NIL portal is gonna be tough. Lots of big spenders out there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

What is Newtons injury??

JV5TADZ8_bigger.jpg

Replying to @AssemblyCall
The lesson? Even at "blue blood" programs with lots of recent success, turnarounds aren't necessarily immediate. It can take a few cycles to rebuild the culture and get roster fit right. Woody's already off to a better start rebuilding IU. Now just have to keep moving forward.

1 hour ago, Artie86 said:

Why does he have to knock it out of the park? If he does, then that's incredible. Just because we aren't getting immediate results through the portal (3 weeks after the season ended) people are beginning to panic. SMH 

Because I don’t want us to suck next year? We went 23-12, made it to the round of 32, and then lost 4 starters. 1 of those starters was a top 3 player in college basketball, another starter is a projected first round pick, and a third starter was our best shooter. Our bench was very weak last season and we lost 2 of our 3 main bench rotational players. Neither were good, but we still need to replace those minutes. We only have two freshmen coming in and neither projects to be instant impact. 

Getting Xavier back will help, but we still have a ton of holes to fill. That’s why he needs to hit it out of the park. Otherwise you’re looking at a missed tournament which will kill the momentum we have going. Our coach is 65 years old. He doesn’t have ‘rebuilding’ time. I think a lot of people are underestimating how big of a loss TJD will be.

We’re going to have commits by 7/3. It’s who committed. I don’t think this will happen but If we do swing and miss at our first targets and settle then questions should be asked. 
I agree, but we aren't there yet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk