Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

7 hours ago, str8baller said:

Seems like a solid backcourt, at least. I think Hepburn is a good player.  His numbers took a dip last year because of Storr and Klesmit. He could have a really nice year for them. 

I really like Hepburn and think he's a pretty bad loss for Wisky. Yeah, he gets a little nuts sometimes, but that kid is fearless and I want that mindset on the road.

Achor Achor (6'9" PF, Samford) commits to Kansas State.  Put up big numbers last year at Samford considering he played less than 23 minutes/game:  16.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.8 blocks.  Shot 59/44/71.  Made 27 of 62 threes.

The reason behind him only getting 23 minutes/game is that he was constantly in foul trouble -- he commits fouls at a rate 20% higher than Malik Reneau.  Committed at least 4 fouls in 12 games.

While it is hard to track it all, On3 currently says that of the 1,087 players that entered the portal, 733 have committed to new schools (67%) and 9 have withdrawn and returned to their original school (1%).  Still 345 in the portal although likely some of those have committed to a lower level or will not latch on anywhere.

Dillon Mitchell (Texas) transferring to Cincinnati.  6'8" PF averaged 9.6 pts and 7.5 rebounds last year.  247 ranks him as the 22nd best transfer.  Two years of elibility left;  out of high school, he was the 8th ranked player in the class of 2022.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Dillon Mitchell (Texas) transferring to Cincinnati.  6'8" PF averaged 9.6 pts and 7.5 rebounds last year.  247 ranks him as the 22nd best transfer.  Two years of elibility left;  out of high school, he was the 8th ranked player in the class of 2022.

Another team that has put together a nice roster on paper. 

Simas L

Mitchell

Hickman 

Jizzle James

Arrinton Page. 

Tyler Betsey.  Im missing a few other contributors. 

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Another team that has put together a nice roster on paper. 

Simas L

Mitchell

Hickman 

Jizzle James

Arrinton Page. 

Tyler Betsey.  Im missing a few other contributors. 

Mitchell and Page are both high ceiling guys who have undercontributed so far.  Will be interesting to see how that team jells.  

On 5/15/2024 at 11:45 AM, RaceToTheTop said:

Top uncommitted players in the portal, according to On3 and 247.  After (assuming) Hatton commits, I would not expect IU to be any kind of player in the following players as we would be down to the 13th scholarship with every single starter and primary backup positions filled.

On3 rating first, 247 second.

• 6.  Jamir Watkins, 6'7" SF, Florida State.  (247:  10)
  • 8.  Chaz Lanier, 6'4" SG, North Florida  (247:  11)
  • 14. Cam Christie, 6'5" SG, Minnesota  (247:  16)
  • 18.  Coleman Hawkins, 6'10" PF, Illinois (I assume he will stay in the draft)  (247:  24)
  • 24.  Jaylen Wells, 6'8" SF, Washington State  (247: 15)
  • 26. JT Toppin, 6'7" PF, New Mexico  (247:  28)
  • 38. Wooga Poplar, 6'4" SG, Miami  (247:  19)
  • 42.  Dillon MItchell, 6'7" SF, Texas (247:  22) TO CINCINNATI
  • 51. DJ Wagner, Jr, 6'3" PG, Kentucky  (247:  38)
  • 53. Trevon Brazile, 6'7" PF, Arkansas  (247:  41)
  • 84. Ven-Allen Lubin, 6'8" PF, Vanderbilt (not in 247's top 100)
  • 86. Achor Achor, 6'9" PF, Samford  (not in 247's top 100) TO KANSAS STATE
  • 88.  A.J. Hoggard, 6'3" PG, Michigan State  (not in 247's top 100) TO VANDERBILT
  • 89.  Arthur Kaluma, 6'8" PF, Kansas  State  (not in 247's top 100)
  • 90.  Miles Kelly, 6'6" CG, Georgia Tech  (247:  66)
  • 92. Chris Ledlum, 6'6" SF, St. John's (pending lawsuit against NCAA)  (247:  75)
  • 94. Riley Kugel, 6'5" SG, Florida  (not in 247's top 100) TO MISSISSIPPI ST

Jaxson Robinson, BYU, SF, is ranked 36th by 247 but does not appear in On3's database.

Updated.  Currently 13 of On3's top 100 portal players have not committeed.  Coleman Hawkins is still draft eligible unless he removes his name;  Ledlum entered the portal but unless he wins his lawsuit, has no eligibility left.

On 5/17/2024 at 3:51 PM, Demo said:

A program’s budget can change year to year as well. A new coach can lead to an influx of cash, with John Calipari’s arrival at Arkansas a prime example. A losing season, or a coach falling out of favor with prominent donors, might cause the well to dry up.   

This is something I suspect,  as well.  I think there is some risk in having our first major donor spend tied up in a Mike Woodson job save effort.  If this experiment does not go well,  I could see IU falling back to the pack in NIL and some major donors being reluctant to pony up large amounts of cash feeling burned.  

55 minutes ago, str8baller said:

A program’s budget can change year to year as well. A new coach can lead to an influx of cash, with John Calipari’s arrival at Arkansas a prime example. A losing season, or a coach falling out of favor with prominent donors, might cause the well to dry up.   

This is something I suspect,  as well.  I think there is some risk in having our first major donor spend tied up in a Mike Woodson job save effort.  If this experiment does not go well,  I could see IU falling back to the pack in NIL and some major donors being reluctant to pony up large amounts of cash feeling burned.  

And while that scenario is certainly a possibility, it is also possible that other major donors who would be happy to see Woody exit as coach would step up to back his replacement.  Might take a couple of years to see how this wild west NIL stuff shakes out when there are coaching changes or programs that don't meet donor expectations.

56 minutes ago, str8baller said:

For sure. 

As with many things, it depends. As an 'all-but-given',  would likely greatly accelerate Woodson's departure if things don't go well this year.

As for what it would do beyond this year? It depends on who the successor would be. If it was a no-name mid-major guy that could be a real downside - if it were a big, big name it would likely have the Calipari/Arkansas effect. Pre-pledging of NIL donations will also likely influence the choice for the next hire.

12 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And while that scenario is certainly a possibility, it is also possible that other major donors who would be happy to see Woody exit as coach would step up to back his replacement.  Might take a couple of years to see how this wild west NIL stuff shakes out when there are coaching changes or programs that don't meet donor expectations.

Certainly could be.  I'm not against the spend this year. I just get the sense from some IU fans online that they think this represents a turning of a corner with regards to being dominant players in the talent acquisition game. I just get the sense there's a little more ebb and flow to it than that.  

Ideally you'd like to see everyone on the same page but I don't even know whose responsibility that would be? Collective, AD, BoT....?

12 hours ago, str8baller said:

Ideally you'd like to see everyone on the same page but I don't even know whose responsibility that would be? Collective, AD, BoT....?

I honestly don't think it matters. Either we stay in the wild, wild west where anything goes legally (because the NCAA has managed to neuter itself with regard to the portal and NIL), or the whole thing shifts back to under-the-table payouts and the UNCs, Kentuckys, Dukes, MSUs, Kansases go back to their cheating ways.

Regarding Indiana, now that they've opened the cash floodgates for Woodson, I don't see how that can change for the next coach. It will be a variation on the "Archie got 4 years, so Woodson gets 4 years" argument - Woodson got $6M, you better find $6M (plus inflation bump) for the next guy.

Chaz Lanier (6th rated portal entry by 247, 6'4" North Florida guard, 19.7 ppg, 4.8 reb, shot 44% on 241 threes last season is visiting Kentucky.  He is still in the draft as well.  Lanier played four years at North Florida and never averaged more than 5 ppg until his huge senior year.

#14 portal entry Cam Christie made a strange decision to skip the scrimmages at the NBA draft combine.  He's mostly been mocked in 40s overall and probably needs a boost to go into the first round.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Chaz Lanier (6th rated portal entry by 247, 6'4" North Florida guard, 19.7 ppg, 4.8 reb, shot 44% on 241 threes last season is visiting Kentucky.  He is still in the draft as well.  Lanier played four years at North Florida and never averaged more than 5 ppg until his huge senior year.

#14 portal entry Cam Christie made a strange decision to skip the scrimmages at the NBA draft combine.  He's mostly been mocked in 40s overall and probably needs a boost to go into the first round.

Usually that means a team has pretty much told him they are going to take him in the second round. Even a good scrimmage probably won’t get Cam Christie to the first round anyway, so he doesn’t have much to gain. 

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Usually that means a team has pretty much told him they are going to take him in the second round. Even a good scrimmage probably won’t get Cam Christie to the first round anyway, so he doesn’t have much to gain. 

I know TJD told teams not to take him in the second round unless they were going to give him a guaranteed contract -- unless someone is willing to do that, a second year deal isn't real valuable to a guy with eligibility left and a good opportunity at NIL money.  And TJD still went through the scrimmages.

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I know TJD told teams not to take him in the second round unless they were going to give him a guaranteed contract -- unless someone is willing to do that, a second year deal isn't real valuable to a guy with eligibility left and a good opportunity at NIL money.  And TJD still went through the scrimmages.

Yeah I should have clarified taking him with a guaranteed deal. 

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Which is wild... Because he really wasn't even that good. His brother wasn't even worth a draft pick.