Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB - 2020 Off-Season News

It did kinda allude to it being Archie’s fault... pulling him if he didn’t get it going right away, never allowing him to get into a rhythm. I think that is a real thing but not Archie’s fault. If you come into a game and in 5 minutes go 0-2 with two turnovers then it’s hard to validate continuing to put him back in. You have to be ready and he never appeared to be ready

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't think the article suggested it was anyone's "fault." That is a total misreading of the piece, imo.  I think it was simply stating the reality of Division I basketball at a Big Ten school like IU. You either have to contribute or you don't play. Damezi Anderson isn't the first player to come to IU or any other Big Ten team and struggle. 

I didn't read the article or the quote to infer that Anderson was't given a chance to perform.

Hmm, I don’t know what else to do but to share his quotes...

Anderson -

“I was always able to play through mistakes, no matter what. Now, every time you make a mistake you go to the bench. You can’t catch a rhythm.”

Anderson -

“I felt like the opportunity never was really there for me”

I’m not sure there is any other way to interprets his quotes... he feels like he was not given the proper chance to perform. This isn’t about reality, it’s about his perception and he shares his perception pretty bluntly here in this interview

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

46 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Hmm, I don’t know what else to do but to share his quotes...

Anderson -

“I was always able to play through mistakes, no matter what. Now, every time you make a mistake you go to the bench. You can’t catch a rhythm.”

Anderson -

“I felt like the opportunity never was really there for me”

I’m not sure there is any other way to interprets his quotes... he feels like he was not given the proper chance to perform. This isn’t about reality, it’s about his perception and he shares his perception pretty bluntly here in this interview

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I didn't read the article or the quote to infer that Anderson was't given a chance to perform.

I think that article informs me that you’re both right:

He was given ample opportunity to perform.

He doesn’t think he was given enough of a chance.

The article also says he saw the writing on the wall going forward, and we can all agree he’s right about that.

I read the article as the story about a player who needs to be at a school where he can play through his mistakes. That wasn't possible at Indiana where there is a lot of competition for playing time. Anderson has had nothing but good things to say about Indiana. He has been quoted in other articles about him leaving saying that he loved his time at IU and he had plenty of opportunity to play. I'm not sure why some on this board feel that it is OK to trash the guy on the way on out. Especially after so many pointed to Hartman's interview about the impact of criticism on young players. He clearly wasn't criticizing Archie as someone alleged above. He just wants to be somewhere where he can play more and that wasn't going to happen at IU.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I read the article as the story about a player who needs to be at a school where he can play through his mistakes. That wasn't possible at Indiana where there is a lot of competition for playing time. Anderson has had nothing but good things to say about Indiana. He has been quoted in other articles about him leaving saying that he loved his time at IU and he had plenty of opportunity to play. I'm not sure why some on this board feel that it is OK to trash the guy on the way on out. Especially after so many pointed to Hartman's interview about the impact of criticism on young players. He clearly wasn't criticizing Archie as someone alleged above. He just wants to be somewhere where he can play more and that wasn't going to happen at IU.

I’m a big-time fan of Damezi Anderson the person.

I also think that with the glut of wings that are going to be at IU, he made an excellent decision to move on to a place where he can get some substantial playing time.

Where did you see people trashing the guy on the way out?

Story on our basketball program's APR.  The bottom of the article lists the APR for all IU sports and I posted that info in the Academics thread.  Quick summary specific to IUBB:   For the second consecutive year, Indiana basketball’s multi-year APR score is on the rise.  The program’s multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) rose from 944 in the 2017-18 academic year to 959 for the 2018-19 academic year.  For the 2018-19 academic year, the program posted a perfect score of 1000, which is up from 980 for the 2017-18 academic year.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/05/19/indianas-apr-score-continues-to-rise-under-archie-miller/?fbclid=IwAR2Rp3H2cvrXLJAcDITLZUe8-3PwoRRlPDnCAxmIVp5I1_L5N5NwRNSXjik

Story on our basketball program's APR.  The bottom of the article lists the APR for all IU sports and I posted that info in the Academics thread.  Quick summary specific to IUBB:   For the second consecutive year, Indiana basketball’s multi-year APR score is on the rise.  The program’s multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) rose from 944 in the 2017-18 academic year to 959 for the 2018-19 academic year.  For the 2018-19 academic year, the program posted a perfect score of 1000, which is up from 980 for the 2017-18 academic year.
https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/05/19/indianas-apr-score-continues-to-rise-under-archie-miller/?fbclid=IwAR2Rp3H2cvrXLJAcDITLZUe8-3PwoRRlPDnCAxmIVp5I1_L5N5NwRNSXjik

Speaking of APR... Stephen F Austin, Alabama A&M, Delaware State and Alabama State are getting post season bans for low APR scores.

RIP, Jerry Sloan -- aka Brian Sloan's dad. 

When I was at IU, Jerry was in his first season with the Jazz and visited Bloomington for Brian's Senior Day. When Brian thanked his parents and pointed out where there, just about everyone stood to get a glimpse of Jerry. A basketball legend. 

Dementia/Alzheimer's sucks ... 

Just now, HoosierDYT said:

Welp, I hope Jerome Hunter and Race Thompson are ready.

Hopefully addition by subtraction. Kinda excited

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To let people know Justin Smith is entering the portal.  

What’s with the late timing.  

Well our rotation is thinning. Don’t like that one bit. Maybe Archie told him he couldn’t play the 3 anymore

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

I think this makes us better. I never warmed up to Justin Smith. Plus defender but absolutely atrocious on the offensive end. Also there were questions/rumors about his attitude Disrupting team chemistry.  We need scoring badly at the wing position. Hunter will be ready to shine. Some won’t agree with me but I believe we just got better. 

If we weren’t thin at the position I might agree with you.  

But Smith was better than Brunk and to me this just means more Brunk minutes.  

I don't think it makes us better, he was a leading contributor to the team last year.

I do see it as an opportunity for Race or Jerome to step up and contribute. Race being more of the bruiser and Jerome potentially adding some much needed scoring (especially from the perimeter). I have confidence they are up to the challenge.

Thank you Justin! Kelley degree in three years is awesome and is a positive mark on our program! Best of luck to him!