Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

IU vs Uof6 Game Thread

15 hours ago, Demo said:

Complete aberration.

Hey, I’m not down on these guys at all. They’re a tip in from 9-1 and I expect them to be 12-2 when they get to Michigan. They compete hard. Just saying it’s going to be really tough to consistently beat good teams playing this way. Will love to be wrong.

You realize this is very similar to Butler, Wisconsin, and Virginia for the last decade plus. They all beat good teams consistently. 

Hasn’t been pretty but if we beat Butler we finish this stretch 1 game better than I anticipated.

A butler win could be another good resume booster.

My predicted losses were Arkansas, Duke, and @Penn State.

If we beat Butler and go .500 in conference we will dance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

14 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

You make some fair points. I'm certainly not calling for Miller's job and agree some time is needed to fully evaluate him.....but it's not unreasonable to expect noticeable progress either. Last season's team was definitely flawed, but improved as the year went on with Freddie McSwain as the starting center....... This year's team is more talented and, with exception of Marquette, hasn't played like it. There have been injuries for sure, so let's hope as that improves so does IU's on court product. I really hope Archie doesn't excel as the under-dog but struggles with high expectations. Not saying that is the case, but man I hate that. I want consistency at a high level, as it should be at IU. 

I asked Archie on his radio show last season what the difference would be from year 1 to year 2. His response was we are going from a veteran group to a young group.

I wondered bc we had a veteran group last year and he was in year 1 of implementing his system. We are now much younger and they all have to learn the system fresh. They get a help by the returning guys, but you will see freshmen mistakes throughout the year. 

Overall, we aren’t losing to IPFW this year. We lost a tough road game at Duke and a tip from winning @Arkansas. That’s pretty good considering the number of new faces and the team is still learning. 

I think the problem people have - and perhaps not articulating -is the style we're playing is not sustainable and won't win consistently.  Eventually, you don't win all of your 1 or 2 point games.   Yeah, we're 3-0 in the last 3; but easily could be 0-3 in large part because our offense has looked pretty anemic at times and at best is  shaky.

But we aren’t 0-3. I see a lot of people freaking out on the extreme worst case scenario of the non conference schedule that didn’t happen. Last year we lost close. This year we are winning close. We need to knock down free throws. Yesterday we did a better job with turnovers and that’s why we won. It’s an improvement over last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Last year, according to Kenpom, our Adjusted Offensive and Defensive Efficiency ranked 92nd and 65th respectively. So far, this year we are ranked 37th and 23th, respectively. I realize those numbers will change as we enter big ten play, but I’d call that improvement.

This is what I keep seeing and then I circle back here and it’s doom and gloom. We are 10 games in. Our numbers will change some but not much barring a huge change. This is what we are. A pretty damn solid team.

Team is collectively playing tough, hard nosed D — something that was consistently absent in the prior regime.  That is keeping them in nearly every game. Though not perfect all the time, everyone getting playing time is strongly committed. That’s really refreshing and is creating opportunity. Offensive flow still needing some work - but has come together enough to get it in these tight ones.  Again, something that doesn’t happen in past regimes. If it continues to evolve and becomes more succinct - this will be a really exciting, sold group. Good to have a week to get heathy! Goood to beat Uof6!! Go Hoosiers!

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

But we aren’t 0-3. I see a lot of people freaking out on the extreme worst case scenario of the non conference schedule that didn’t happen. Last year we lost close. This year we are winning close. We need to knock down free throws. Yesterday we did a better job with turnovers and that’s why we won. It’s an improvement over last year.

What I'm saying is people are not reacting to results, necessarily.  We still look very incomplete at times and we struggled with a couple of teams (UTA and UCD) we really shouldn't.   FT's are definitely a concern.  Having (until yesterday) just 2 threats to score was a concern.  Same with the lack of movement, decision making by players like Green and Smith, the complete inefficacy of McRoberts, injuries, etc.  Eyeball test.    We don't look like a good team despite winning ugly.    Yeah...it's better.  But I think what some are saying is it needs to look better than it does if we can sustain it.

After watching the re-play on Fox Sports1 a few minutes ago...... it’s amazing how we won that game in spite of the RIDICULOUSLY POOR officiating. They couldn’t make the right call after watching the replay on the play out of bounds. Five against Eight.... it’s hard to skate!

Also though.....why would we have defended their last 2 second possession up four points? Morgan was within a whisker of getting a foul. Unexplainable IMO.....

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

17 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

Also though.....why would we have defended their last 2 second possession up four points? Morgan was within a whisker of getting a foul. Unexplainable IMO.....

I thought the same thing.  Why in the world would you play defense there?  I would have my players walk to the sideline.  That was just dumb

What I'm saying is people are not reacting to results, necessarily.  We still look very incomplete at times and we struggled with a couple of teams (UTA and UCD) we really shouldn't.   FT's are definitely a concern.  Having (until yesterday) just 2 threats to score was a concern.  Same with the lack of movement, decision making by players like Green and Smith, the complete inefficacy of McRoberts, injuries, etc.  Eyeball test.    We don't look like a good team despite winning ugly.    Yeah...it's better.  But I think what some are saying is it needs to look better than it does if we can sustain it.

I get that, but I think that’s what we are now. That type of team you are describing ends up in that 4-7 seed range. I think our ceiling is obviously higher if all things fell into place. But I don’t see it without Hunter, Justin Smith being Jekyl and Hyde offensively, Morgan playing like honorable mention instead of 1st team, Romeo taking over even more, and Morgan staying out of foul trouble. I just see that as who we are and it’s a 4-7 seed. Winning some good games and losing some wtf games. We haven’t lost those yet but we will I think.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I get that, but I think that’s what we are now. That type of team you are describing ends up in that 4-7 seed range. I think our ceiling is obviously higher if all things fell into place. But I don’t see it without Hunter, Justin Smith being Jekyl and Hyde offensively, Morgan playing like honorable mention instead of 1st team, Romeo taking over even more, and Morgan staying out of foul trouble. I just see that as who we are and it’s a 4-7 seed. Winning some good games and losing some wtf games. We haven’t lost those yet but we will I think.

Agreed and I think many people (myself included) believe, and reasonably so, that this team's ceiling should be higher than that.    There's no reason with the depth, length, and experience we have to have an offense that looks like this.   I think that's the gist of the frustration.

1 hour ago, Whoozhers said:

After watching the re-play on Fox Sports1 a few minutes ago...... it’s amazing how we won that game in spite of the RIDICULOUSLY POOR officiating. They couldn’t make the right call after watching the replay on the play out of bounds. Five against Eight.... it’s hard to skate!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I thought it was relatively balanced. A few no calls or missed calls on both sides. Now the Arkansas game—that was horrible!