Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

55 minutes ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

One of my best friends is a HUGE Louisville sports fan. He told me Crean will be their next coach. Then he goes on to tell me he thinks Crean can do a good job. “I think he’ll fit in with Louisville a lot better then he did at Indiana” buddy it had nothing to do with being the right fit. It was about coaching ability. After I reminded him that he would have to play Syracuse twice a year, he started to actually think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Crean facing that zone twice.  Well, at least we won't be the ones that end up needing therapy.

I will still bet that "shutting them down completely" will not happen. Heavy handed penalty, yes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

Fair enough, and I still stand by them getting the death penalty. I will say I think they survive it far quicker and better than SMU did. Problem SMU had was they are in Texas and it involved football. It's harder to get 50-70 decent football players than say 10 decent basketball players. I think Louisville could essentially be back to what they expect in ten years. A lot is dependent on who they get to coach when next coach is fired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I will still bet that "shutting them down completely" will not happen. Heavy handed penalty, yes.

SMU was 30+ years ago. Prior to that, SMU was penalized seven times previously going back to 1974. Just don't see that for Louisville. I think the NCAA will see the economic impact this has on all but the school, and will limit the penalties reach to affect just the university.

There is no way Addidas paid guys 100k unless they had competition (Nike).

The FBI might not have legal evidence/recourse against the Nike schools but the NCAA is sure to hear a lot of "we offered 50k but had to go to 100k because Nike offered 75k etc).

I think we are  only at the tip of the iceberg.

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

There is no way Addidas paid guys 100k unless they had competition (Nike).

The FBI might not have legal evidence/recourse against the Nike schools but the NCAA is sure to hear a lot of "we offered 50k but had to go to 100k because Nike offered 75k etc).

I think we are  only at the tip of the iceberg.

3 of the assistant coaches arrested were from Nike Schools and the other was an Under Armour school. People are making this about Adidas cause adidas was the first to have someone go down but the other companies are in the thick of it just as much, hence the raid of Nike EYBL today.

12 minutes ago, Kepner said:

3 of the assistant coaches arrested were from Nike Schools and the other was an Under Armour school. People are making this about Adidas cause adidas was the first to have someone go down but the other companies are in the thick of it just as much, hence the raid of Nike EYBL today.

Thanks. Heard all the Addidas talk and did not realize that three of the arrestees were from Nike schools.  This is going to expand to many schools, especially those that have landed top 10 kids (ie one and done NBA potential). 

6 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I believe Alford sat out a game against Louisville. 

As someone else mentioned Alford sat out for the UK game.

Knight actually had some flexibility as to which game Alford sat and intentionally chose the UK game as he the knew they were huge cheaters.  He wanted to contrast Alford being punished for posing for a charitable calendar vs. known cheaters that were not being punished.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

As someone else mentioned Alford sat out for the UK game.

Knight actually had some flexibility as to which game Alford sat and intentionally chose the UK game as he the knew they were huge cheaters.  He wanted to contrast Alford being punished for posing for a charitable calendar vs. known cheaters that were not being punished.

maybe the negative Louisville memory from that season was a late free throw lane violation that gave louisville another shot and the win

15 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

I live in the bluegrass state near WKU and all these Wildcat fans LOVING that this happened to UofL. Wonder if/when the tables will turn...

Hopefully yes and by the end of the week

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yep fresh major violations where they called out the NCAA and then this? Oh I will take that bet all day long. The NCAA will shut this program down for a year and/or render them insignificant for at least five years while making them lose hundreds of millions of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Fun fact, Louisville has been the most valuable athletics program in terms of revenue the past few years, if I'm not mistaken.