Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree. The Kenny Johnson connection scares me as does "he has great connections" Schilling  since he apparently did well recruiting at UCLA and is now on our staff.  A little too early for us to wave victory flags.

Oh I am by no means suggesting we are out of the woods.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Crucial background if you want to truly understand how a successful investigation can be predicated and germinate.

How this all began - The Marty Blazer story:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834050/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

YOU GUYS NEED TO READ THIS STORY! 

Trust me - this article will completely educate you about the coming events.

It will also highlight in vivid detail the quality of evidence that the FBI can acquire through the use of the far, far  and away most effective investigative tool; THE RECORDER!

The next time I hear someone state that all ya need to do is "follow the money", I am referring them to this article's description of the incontrovertible relative weight of evidence that can be obtained with a recorder; far more so than through interviewing liars and reading documents. 

If you read only one article this week to try to understand how to get the evidence needed to prove a matter, this one is a good place to start.

7 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

So give him credit for not breaking rules? I’m sorry but that makes no sense. You don’t give people pats on the back for covering the absolute bare minimums of the job.

I think in their line of work it is clearly a challenge to keep integrity while all around you people are taking the easier and more fruitful route. I agree we shouldn't pat a man on the back for covering the bare minimum of their job. However, this particular profession may be the exception to that rule as I'm sure many fans will be wanting to place a foot on a different body part of their coach once this is all over. Again let me be clear that I'm not suggesting he did nothing wrong.

58 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

YOU GUYS NEED TO READ THIS STORY! 

Trust me - this article will completely educate you about the coming events.

It will also highlight in vivid detail the quality of evidence that the FBI can acquire through the use of the far, far  and away most effective investigative tool; THE RECORDER!

The next time I hear someone state that all ya need to do is "follow the money", I am referring them to the incontrovertible relative weight of the recorded evidence that can be obtained this way; far more so than through interviewing liars and reading documents. 

If you read only one article this week to try to understand how to get the evidence needed to prove a matter, this one is a good place to start.

I glanced through it this morning, but getting ready to read it a little more closely.

Just finished reading again, man that was well documented.

One aspect about improper benefits is this: the top players know who's getting money and where it's coming from. 

My memory is failing me but I remember an interview (likely Mark Montieth) with a former IU player from the glory years talking about players from other teams asking him "how much did you get?" and them not believing him when he said nothing.  In those years coaches and boosters gave out the sugar and it evolved into shoe companies and sports agents.

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

One aspect about improper benefits is this: the top players know who's getting money and where it's coming from. 

My memory is failing me but I remember an interview (likely Mark Montieth) with a former IU player from the glory years talking about players from other teams asking him "how much did you get?" and them not believing him when he said nothing.  In those years coaches and boosters gave out the sugar and it evolved into shoe companies and sports agents.

yes that player played for Knight and all of u know no one would backstab Knight...or he would have kicked their ***** for tampering with his players...for everything Knight is he was absolutely no cheater....

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Oh yeah, the UCLA dominance was the result of one guy, Sam Gilbert.  During their dynasty he provided players with cars, clothes, airline tickets, and even abortions for their girlfriends.  When Knight created his dominant programs, he was up against this.  Pretty impressive.  

I'm on the side that wants to give Crean credit if we learn he was running a clean program.  He had expectations to compete with the cheaters.  He could see that the cheaters were getting the recruits through nefarious means, and there was no punishment from the NCAA even though the corruption was widely known and accepted.  And truly, if we are one of the few great programs to come through this unscathed, then you absolutely need to be thankful to Crean that he did not succumb to the same temptations that so many others do.  Way better than what Sampson left us with. 

9 hours ago, rcsalway29 said:

I hear a lot of Crean bashing through all of this. He was an awful "in game coach" that much is true, however if we come out of this clean then I think we owe him a lot more gratitude than he's getting. If he in fact did run a clean ship and we have nothing to worry about through all of this then he would be responsible for the opportunity given to IU to make a serious resurgence. Now if there were issues then all bets off and hammer the man. Just think we should lay off the cracks on him for now.

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

No.  But to his credit, assuming he didn't break any rules, he played the game the right way and was able to bring Indiana back to some national notoriety.  That is no small feat when all the chips are stacked against you.  That deserves credit IMO.

Agree to disagree. Doing a small fraction of your job when you're paid millions to do it isn't impressive to me at all.

11 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

I live in the bluegrass state near WKU and all these Wildcat fans LOVING that this happened to UofL. Wonder if/when the tables will turn...

I'm seeing the same thing and I have to wonder if they realize that UK's head could possibly be on this chopping block too.

9 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

“We are aware of the ongoing federal investigation involving college basketball,” IU athletic department spokesperson Jeremy Gray said. “We do not have, nor have been given, any reason to believe Indiana University is involved in any way.”

That is the type of statement that always worries me a bit. If you are not involved, and there has been not even a hint of you being involved, then why do you feel compelled to say anything at all?