Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

41 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

On another note I don’t feel sorry for the programs, coaches, players, or families involved in this but I feel horrible for the student athletes on these teams that have done it the right way. The kids who didn’t take money and busted their butts practicing and in the classroom are going to take the fall for the bad apples around them. I hope the NCAA will allow them to transfer and not sit out a season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Great point.

I stopped commenting on this board because of people taking over every post about things that are irrelevant to the topic. People should try and do a better job of not taking over topics to argue the same thing over and over again for 4 or 5 pages.
Fact that Kenny isn't being investigated (as of yet) is a huge relief to me.

Agreed !!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

No one has said, "Wow, in light of all this, Crean is probably the best coach we've ever had, and he fulfilled all of our goals as a fanbase."

I never said anyone said that. People were saying to take it easy on him and things of that nature because he ran a clean program which I replied to.

Dont make things up just to discredit what I said.

Was there ever any actual reporting that it was Kenny Johnson? Or was it hearsay? I'm asking because I truly don't know

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

Assumptions and proximity to the situation and to the meetings in Vegas I believe.

How many years did crean coach to get to those three sweet sixteens? Those outright titles? Is he the one you believed would get us to the next step? Did IU have good fundamental basketball teams for the most part? Did he make good in-game adjustments after his pregame planning fall apart? How did they do against Syracuse? Wisconsin? The questions can go on and on...it has been established he brought the program back to where we are now. The consensus, I have always believed, is that what he did at the end just wasn't good enough. There are plenty of teams that didn't buy players and got comparably better results from their coaches. I'm kinda surprised by your stance

I never implied that TC was a great coach. I thought that it was time for him to go. But I cannot see how anyone could not throw some accolades his way. If it is all about winning a national championships and only expectations of that, I could understand the sentiments. That is the ultimate goal every season. If Crean played clean against those that didn't, and that put our program at any kind of a disadvantage, then some accolades should be thrown his way. For a 4 to 5 year period, we had the highest winning percentage against top 10 ranked teams than any other team in the country. That too seems to be lost on alot of people. I'm not defending TC or his body of work, but to totally dismiss is just plain ludicrous. But what do I know. I know that some on here (not naming names) had been against the hire from the start.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

Was there ever any actual reporting that it was Kenny Johnson? Or was it hearsay? I'm asking because I truly don't know

Just that people confirmed from Twitter history that both Fair and Kenny were in Vegas at the time of the recorded conversation.

It makes more sense that coach 2 is Pitino though. Since he is apparently the "big swinging ***" and can call on Adidas for anything. I never got the impression Kenny had THAT amount of sway, either at IU or after.

I never implied that TC was a great coach. I thought that it was time for him to go. But I cannot see how anyone could not throw some accolades his way. If it is all about winning a national championships and only expectations of that, I could understand the sentiments. That is the ultimate goal every season. If Crean played clean against those that didn't, and that put our program at any kind of a disadvantage, then some accolades should be thrown his way. For a 4 to 5 year period, we had the highest winning percentage against top 10 ranked teams than any other team in the country. That too seems to be lost on alot of people. I'm not defending TC or his body of work, but to totally dismiss is just plain ludicrous. But what do I know. I know that some on here (not naming names) had been against the hire from the start.

Ok. Duly noted. Let's find out he was truly clean and then rehash this conversation on a different thread maybe

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Crucial background if you want to truly understand how a successful investigation can be predicated and germinate.

How this all began - The Marty Blazer story:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834050/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

Good read. Only hope the investigation continues in to Nike as well.

Just that people confirmed from Twitter history that both Fair and Kenny were in Vegas at the time of the recorded conversation.
It makes more sense that coach 2 is Pitino though. Since he is apparently the "big swinging ***" and can call on Adidas for anything. I never got the impression Kenny had THAT amount of sway, either at IU or after.

Yeah it does make sense. It is also really relieving if true

Yeah it does make sense. It is also really relieving if true

CBS is reporting that "it has been learned that C2 was Rick Pitino". They are not confirming though. Why people here in Louisville couldn't believe the Rick would publically lie when stating how clean of a program he runs, is ridiculous to me. Hell, he lied to his friends and own family about the Karen Sypher deal and maintained that lie until the absolute facts came out.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The investigation? Sure.

The quality of evidence to rival what's already been produced? Doubtful.

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be the same quality of evidence for NCAA infractions.  I'm sure you saw my post yesterday about the murky standard of proof established by the NCAA Infractions Committee.  It's probably that way on purpose, so they can rule however they please.  But it's not like there aren't established ways of fact finding that are less stringent than Federal Rules of Evidence.  

Looking at it, it's odd that they provided so much information about Pitino when they didn't even charge him.  Maybe they are going to spend some resources on the infractions side of things while they're here.

The Arizona news just confirms for me that more big boys are gonna drop in the next few weeks or months. There’s no way that this is happening at Zona and UL and not at the other schools getting top 25 guys constantly. College basketball is gonna look completely different very soon

Everything in the media thinks coach k is as clean as they come but how does he get top 5 classes every single year without paying? It doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

CBS is reporting that "it has been learned that C2 was Rick Pitino". They are not confirming though. Why people here in Louisville couldn't believe the Rick would publically lie when stating how clean of a program he runs, is ridiculous to me. Hell, he lied to his friends and own family about the Karen Sypher deal and maintained that lie until the absolute facts came out.

ABC, ESPN, and Wall Street Journal also reporting that it is him

The Arizona news just confirms for me that more big boys are gonna drop in the next few weeks or months. There’s no way that this is happening at Zona and UL and not at the other schools getting top 25 guys constantly. College basketball is gonna look completely different very soon

Maybe it will and maybe it wont. The ncaa is not going to nail all the big boys because they are money machines.

Everything in the media thinks coach k is as clean as they come but how does he get top 5 classes every single year without paying? It doesn't make any sense.

See Duke is the one that I could see being clean more than the others. But then you wonder how a player would turn down the money to go there. I just don’t know, this thing has so many layers to it.