Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

6 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

How does one not just get the itch to go shoot? How can you be around a ball that long and not shoot? Have the resources there and not just shoot around? If I were coach, you couldn't get me out of the gym lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because he was not a basketball player!

Good news on the Durham front! I like his game. Makes me wonder how the numbers are going to work out but I know Archie has a plan. So--how do you pronounce "Aljami"? My pronunciation is..."I'll jammy"'as in "I'll jammy" the basketball!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I hate to say it but I see OG and TB leaving and JBJ coming back. Without Moore, I think that leaves us at the total amount of allowable scholarships with no one transferring.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it would be best for a relatively-low minutes-based player to transfer, and maybe go after a grad transfer 'big' ala Max Biedfeldt to help with the possibility of OG and TB gone.

I'm sure someone has said all this...just recently got this app downloaded to my new phone and hadn't taken the time to read the 76 pages worth of posts on this thread lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Archie is in a good spot here.

He can tell current players we want you back. WIN

He has 3 capable recruits that would ideally jump at the chance to take an available opening- WIN

As long as he isn't in the dark on who is leaving it's a win-win.

The Loss aspect of this is on whichever recruit(s) may not join the team. But even then that might not really be a loss to them because they have time to find a better fit.

The biggest thing is, I hope no players are stringing CAM along.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

49 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Is everyone so sure Gelon is transferring? If you watch the guard video, there seems to be another player/manager sitting in the background at the end. Looked like it could be Gelon. Who knows if he has a small tweak or something that caused him to sit out. 

Per my sources, he's leaving. Obviously not confirmed though. 

Hard to judge by assuming he's coming back/not coming back based on the video. James has announced he's testing the waters yet he's still working out with the team. Also, he's only allowed to work with a certain number of players per week/day I believe. Maybe Gelon didn't make the cut in yesterday's workout? Just guessing there. 

26 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Per my sources, he's leaving. Obviously not confirmed though. 

Hard to judge by assuming he's coming back/not coming back based on the video. James has announced he's testing the waters yet he's still working out with the team. Also, he's only allowed to work with a certain number of players per week/day I believe. Maybe Gelon didn't make the cut in yesterday's workout? Just guessing there. 

When I was at IU, we always knew a player was transferring if they started showing up at the Hyper to play. I knew that Hollowell and Larryn Brooks were transferring weeks before it was announced because they started playing there most days. So if anyone on here is currently a student, watch for that.

Just now, VO5 said:

When I was at IU, we always knew a player was transferring if they started showing up at the Hyper to play. I knew that Hollowell and Larryn Brooks were transferring weeks before it was announced because they started playing there most days. So if anyone on here is currently a student, watch for that.

They are getting use to the level of competition at their new schools at the HPER haha

Archie has to do what's best for Indiana basketball. That's what he gets paid to do. It happens at every program. Nobody feels sorry for the coaching staff when they lose because it's their job to put the best product on the floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie has to do what's best for Indiana basketball. That's what he gets paid to do. It happens at every program. Nobody feels sorry for the coaching staff when they lose because it's their job to put the best product on the floor.

Bottom line.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

28 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

True but there's long term and short term thinking.  Creaning is a short term benefit with long term costs 

41 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Yea, really like all the new videos Indiana MBB is putting out. Already feels like Archie is trying to keep the fans more in the loop. Looks like the guys are working hard.

I believe he said he wants our social media to be the best of the best. 

True but there's long term and short term thinking.  Creaning is a short term benefit with long term costs 

Toms shotgun theory of offering lots of kids is not the best approach. As a matter a fact I hate it! Just give a smaller number of recruits more attention and stick to it. Crean had a high turnover rate running his own guys off. I'm not asking for that, but offering kids that are not even close to the level of high D1 isn't good and it's not Archie's fault either.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don't think you can blame Archie for the situation Crean left him.  Archie didn't sign 3 additional incoming freshmen to a roster that already had 12 guys on scholarship for 2017-18 (and now 13 with Hartman's redshirt).  I think Archie feels obligated to support all of those players equally, but obviously tough decisions may have to be made.  I don't see how any reasonable person can hold him accountable for the scholarship crunch that Crean left him with.

3 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

I don't think you can blame Archie for the situation Crean left him.  Archie didn't sign 3 additional incoming freshmen to a roster that already had 12 guys on scholarship for 2017-18 (and now 13 with Hartman's redshirt).  I think Archie feels obligated to support all of those players equally, but obviously tough decisions may have to be made.  I don't see how any reasonable person can hold him accountable for the scholarship crunch that Crean left him with.

I agree but the same argument about doing what's best for the team is what Crean supporters used as he did it to epic proportion. 

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Does anybody read Sun Tsu's "Art of War"?  Basically the most successful outcome to a conflict is to win, and to preserve as much as possible.  It makes no sense to take a city that you have just blown up the infrastructure, pissed off the subjects, and burned all the resources.  Archie came in with a preservation objective, and I think it is the right one.  Keep the team in tact, keep the recruits he had.  Build from there.

Let 2018 be the first class of Archie's guys.  And 2017 is going to be very good regardless.  

Not to get too far off topic but generally I would agree with you. But there are some modern counter arguments to that logic

The occupations of Germany and Japan went off relatively peaceful because of the devastation they had endured.