Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not to get too far off topic but generally I would agree with you. But there are some modern counter arguments to that logic

The occupations of Germany and Japan went off relatively peaceful because of the devastation they had endured. 

Yeah?  I learned that the atomic bombs were really what saved Japan from devastation.  Had we not dropped them in an awesome show of power, we would have been engaged instead in a long, bloody battle on their homeland that would have wrecked their population, culture, and infrastructure.  Instead we kept Japan mostly intact, as we were just then getting all the way across the Pacific.

And regarding Germany.... what are you going to do.  It was a 6 year war, and it took all 6 to win it.  Clumsy bombing techniques like loading huge B-17s with tons of bombs and dropping in the vicinity of the target was the best we could do, hence the damage. 

Aaaaaanywho...  Did we ever reach a consensus on whether or not Aver's is any good?  

I agree but the same argument about doing what's best for the team is what Crean supporters used as he did it to epic proportion. 

I don't think Crean supporters used that argument because IU hadn't had a transfer in a few years. Before that most of the players that left he wanted to keep but kicked them off due to punishment. We actually haven't been on par with most schools and their 350 transfers every year. I think most every school "Creans" their players. As we should this year if it sets up a roster for success.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah?  I learned that the atomic bombs were really what saved Japan from devastation.  Had we not dropped them in an awesome show of power, we would have been engaged instead in a long, bloody battle on their homeland that would have wrecked their population, culture, and infrastructure.  Instead we kept Japan mostly intact, as we were just then getting all the way across the Pacific.

And regarding Germany.... what are you going to do.  It was a 6 year war, and it took all 6 to win it.  Clumsy bombing techniques like loading huge B-17s with tons of bombs and dropping in the vicinity of the target was the best we could do, hence the damage. 

Aaaaaanywho...  Did we ever reach a consensus on whether or not Aver's is any good?  

So to recap...

Archie = Eisenhower (supreme commander)

Flint = Patton (help is on the way)

Crean = Hitler (started this whole mess)

Glass = FDR (declared war on Crean, and brought in Archie to fix the problem)

Blackmon = Stalin (he's on our side, but some are skeptical of his intentions)

OG = Switzerland (he'll be walking away with all the $$$ in the end)

And Avers is alright, but personally I preferred Pizza Express and Mother Bear's.  I also miss Greek's Pizza.

Not to get too far off topic but generally I would agree with you. But there are some modern counter arguments to that logic
The occupations of Germany and Japan went off relatively peaceful because of the devastation they had endured. 

The occupation of Japan went off relatively peaceful because the emperor told the people to comply. If the emperor wouldn't have accepted the occupation it would have been messy. I've actually had deep conversations with Japanese elders that the atomic bombs were necessary to save lives.

So to recap...

And Avers is alright, but personally I preferred Pizza Express and Mother Bear's.  I also miss Greek's Pizza.

Oh my... We're comparing Crean to Hitler now...

In fairness- you have to start with a clean slate as a leader in a new position. The decisions come as identified in your interview process. Probably expedited in this case due to so many moving parts. As opposed to "creaning"-I like the word "fit"

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The occupation of Japan went off relatively peaceful because the emperor told the people to comply. If the emperor wouldn't have accepted the occupation it would have been messy. I've actually had deep conversations with Japanese elders that the atomic bombs were necessary to save lives.

He did this because he didn't want to see his people suffer. Or to continue suffering from the devastation they had endured. 

Because of the devastation Japan and Germany were dependent on the US for rebuilding and for protection. Plus they came to blame their previous governments for leading them into the disastrous war. 

Internet laws of nature at work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]‍—‌that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler.

Lmao, there's a law! Hahaha

41 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

So to recap...

little bit of Crean=Mussolini too.. (his own people turned against him)

4 hours ago, VO5 said:

I like that Al's committed to IU and is excited about coming here. At the same time, I really don't see why we didn't let him walk. We have an abundance of guards this upcoming year and the 2018 class is loaded with good ones. I just don't see where he fits in.

Durham seems like a good kid, but I would've strongly preferred to go after big 2018 guards. 

50 minutes ago, indy317219 said:

In fairness- you have to start with a clean slate as a leader in a new position. The decisions come as identified in your interview process. Probably expedited in this case due to so many moving parts. As opposed to "creaning"-I like the word "fit"

You have to wonder if the subject of "over-signing" came up during Miller's interview with Glass. Glass had to know, and inform Miller, what the possible circumstances (too many players, not enough roster spots) would be for this coming year.

29 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Durham seems like a good kid, but I would've strongly preferred to go after big 2018 guards. 

I don't think that's an "or" situation. We'll still have guard spots in 2018.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I already thought it was going to happen, but I think this confirms Green will be back. Good things are ahead! 

image.thumb.png.5e2d81284e74d75e6beffcfc77551eaa.png

Everyone but OG and Gelon are coming back. OG off to the Nuggets while Gelon is off to Grace College. 

Everyone is buying in, the boys finally have a coach that knows basketball. That has played basketball...