Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Is there a chance any of the players qualify for an academic scholarship? Are any of them in position to graduate early and qualify for a graduate (academic) scholarship?

Or, even though it hasn't been done for awhile, what if one or two of them could get an IU scholarship in another sport? Anyone know if any of the guys played baseball in high school and would be considered for a scholarship that way? Any other sports that would consider doing this for a year to help the basketball team, and perhaps themselves?

Is there a chance any of the players qualify for an academic scholarship? Are any of them in position to graduate early and qualify for a graduate (academic) scholarship?
Or, even though it hasn't been done for awhile, what if one or two of them could get an IU scholarship in another sport? Anyone know if any of the guys played baseball in high school and would be considered for a scholarship that way? Any other sports that would consider doing this for a year to help the basketball team, and perhaps themselves?

You can't give basketball players academic scholarships and keep them on the team. I'm not sure about how giving kids scholarships for other sports would work though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You can't give basketball players academic scholarships and keep them on the team. I'm not sure about how giving kids scholarships for other sports would work though.

Would an academic scholarship not allow them to change their status to that of a walk-on?

Obviously, they would need to actually qualify to earn it.

Would an academic scholarship not allow them to change their status to that of a walk-on? Obviously, they would need to actually qualify to earn it.

Nope. I'm not sure about what they can do with academic scholarships regarding incoming freshmen, but if a player was already on an athletic scholarship the school can't take him off that and put him on an academic one to have him be a "walk-on". The kid could decide to give up his scholarship to become a walk-on and pay his own way, but the school can't give him an academic scholarship.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nope. I'm not sure about what they can do with academic scholarships regarding incoming freshmen, but if a player was already on an athletic scholarship the school can't take him off that and put him on an academic one to have him be a "walk-on". The kid could decide to give up his scholarship to become a walk-on and pay his own way, but the school can't give him an academic scholarship.

I did not know that. Thanks for the insight.

40 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love that Hartman is coming back. But I think it really threw a wrench into roster balancing and incoming recruits. I'm of the opinion we need 2 recruits to come in this year, otherwise Archie is going to struggle with class balancing for a couple years. Next year could potentially be a 6-7 man class if he would fill all the spots. That is way too large..

I'm guessing it will be a 5 freshman class with 2 grad transfers. At least 1 of the freshman could be a one and done as well. Hopefully his name is Romeo.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I remember reading something a while back pertaining to scholarships and multi-sport athletes. There is a definite "pecking order" for deciding which sport scholarship the athlete receives... but I don't recall the specifics... will try to find that article...

43 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That's our solution Devonte's brother can pay for him.

Edited by Hoosier DaDa

That's our solution Devonte's bother can pay for him.

Idk man, it's gotta be tough scraping by on $10 million a year. He might not be able to afford that haha.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2015/7/1/8817317/danny-green-contract-spurs-signs-nba-free-agency

Here's one article... it's written from the perspective of Big 12 Football (Texas A&M)... but lays out the process fairly well... and it talks about the athlete having been recruited for a sport (or sports), and how that lines up with awarded scholarships. Interestingly, also, is that the process was instituted to prevent circumvention of the rules...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-4-multi-sport-sas.pdf

"In football, a counter who was not recruited and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) must be counted in the sport of football."

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I remember reading something a while back pertaining to scholarships and multi-sport athletes. There is a definite "pecking order" for deciding which sport scholarship the athlete receives... but I don't recall the specifics... will try to find that article...

I remember, a bunch of years ago, the basketball team had a couple football players on the roster after Knight had let go of some players. I think Cam Cameron was one of them. They remained under scholarship from football at that time.

Just now, Tom White said:

I remember, a bunch of years ago, the basketball team had a couple football players on the roster after Knight had let go of some players. I think Cam Cameron was one of them. They remained under scholarship from football at that time.

Football seems to factor into this in a big way... maybe because of the size of the teams and number of scholarships (vs basketball, or water polo).