Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

incrediboy

Dakich: Blackmon couldn't guard a chair

Look, I don't care if people agree with Dakich or not. I happen to most of the time, but that's not the point.

Dakich isn't full of himself. Dakich gives a damn. And I love him for it. Yes, he's old school; but think about who his mentor was. He also has a dad who he frequently praises for being tough on him. Good for Dad. Good for Dan. The world needs more tough love. We have enough "soft."

I edited out the bulk of the post for no reason other than for the sake of brevity.

I agree 100% with this post. I wish I could "like" it about a thousand times.

Like I said, I don't think he's wrong. But Those kind of comments pointing out certain players should be done on his show, not as a commentator of college basketball games. As a commentator he can point out how Blackmon is struggling with defense but to put him down is not necessary. I really could care less how much insight he has on IU basketball.

Dakich could have said it better but he said exactly what all of us have been thinking at times.  JBJ did some good things today---dived out of bounds for a loose ball, had a good post feed to TB,  and played good D at times-- but his D is still the weakness in his game. I hope JBJ will use the criticism from Dakich and Hoosier Nation to motivate him to get in the gym and keep working on the D. There is no denying he is a great shooter--but truly great basketball is played on both ends of the floor!

I'm not enamored with JBJ's overall play especially on defense, but yesterday he was our second leading rebounder with 8 total boards of which 3 were offensive rebounds.  And, he only turned it over twice vs. Yogi's 4 and Troy's 5.

His work on the boards has been consistently strong.

I don't get why Yogi gets a pass on defense as well. For someone who's supposedly our best defender sure gets beat a lot. I think that whole blow up earlier this year between Thomas and him was because of defense as well. Yogi really needs to do a better job on man to man because it's leading to too many easy buckets. I agree completely that he is a good scorer but not a great pg. I almost blew a lid when he ran that fast break spot up 3 to tie the game. I've seen so many games last year where he did that and missed and completely gave away our momentum. He really needs to step up and be a supposed leader of this team.

I don't get why Yogi gets a pass on defense as well. For someone who's supposedly our best defender sure gets beat a lot. I think that whole blow up earlier this year between Thomas and him was because of defense as well. Yogi really needs to do a better job on man to man because it's leading to too many easy buckets. I agree completely that he is a good scorer but not a great pg. I almost blew a lid when he ran that fast break spot up 3 to tie the game. I've seen so many games last year where he did that and missed and completely gave away our momentum. He really needs to step up and be a supposed leader of this team.

I think some overrate how good of a defender Yogi is.  He rates out as one of our worst, and for the past 2 seasons has rated out around Jordan Hulls level.  There are some things he does well, I'm just not convinced that defense is one of them.  I do agree there are things he gets a pass on.

Maybe he should have tried being a competent coach.

Has Crean? Crean has had several years to prove his competence. DD went 3-4 after the departure of Sampson. They lost 1st round of B1G tournament, something Crean is notorious for and they lost as an 8 seed to a 9 seed in the NCAA. That, is a very common occurrence. So, coach gets fired, players are beyond out of control and he still managed to finish the regular season 3-2. Yeah, what was Crean in year 1? It is a lame argument to imply DD was a failure of a coach at IU given the only sample size was 7 games after Sampson was run out of town. By your standard, Crean should have been fired midway through season 1.

Dakich took over a team 3/4 of the way through a season that just lost there coach for reasons they probably didn't understand. I thought it came out that the players quit playing. Dakich had zero chance in my book at becoming the head coach at iu out of that mess imo. It isn't even fair to try and make some kind of opinion based off that. If you look at his entire career that will probably be a better indicator as to why he isn't the level of coach we need at iu.

Dakich took over a team 3/4 of the way through a season that just lost there coach for reasons they probably didn't understand. I thought it came out that the players quit playing. Dakich had zero chance in my book at becoming the head coach at iu out of that mess imo. It isn't even fair to try and make some kind of opinion based off that. If you look at his entire career that will probably be a better indicator as to why he isn't the level of coach we need at iu.

Agree. DD was a coach on the rise until the West Virginia back out. That killed recruiting for several years and a ton of injuries wiped out any other chances. If he should want to coach again it would have to be at the mid major level and see what happens. I would not be surprised by either success or failure as the book is mixed.

He came in and insisted in rebuilding the culture and the team did not want to give any effort for him. Any IU fan should be appreciative of that.