Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

Thoughts on WSU Coach Gregg Marshall

They took away a lot of what we like to do. When we drove they often collapsed on our shooters. When we did that handoff weave they often contested the handoff (led to a couple of steals) and they hedged strong with Yogi backing him up.

Meanwhile we run the same thing time and time again. With our shooters it just seems odd we do not run our shooters off screens.

They took away a lot of what we like to do. When we drove they often collapsed on our shooters. When we did that handoff weave they often contested the handoff (led to a couple of steals) and they hedged strong with Yogi backing him up.

Meanwhile we run the same thing time and time again. With our shooters it just seems odd we do not run our shooters off screens.

Marshall had us scouted well. So true about our offense. Completely rely on drive and kick.

Marshall had us scouted well. So true about our offense. Completely rely on drive and kick.

The TV crew nailed it too when we were up 5. They said a lot of times if your offense is not working well you have to make up for it with great D.

Feel like it'd be a lateral move

Is that just because he is at a mid major? You have seen how many times he has won his conference championship both at Winthrop and WSU right?

He is not my top guy but with him I see us having a much better chance to compete regularly for the BT championship. There was nothing in Creans background that compared except the one FF run for both

Is that just because he is at a mid major? You have seen how many times he has won his conference championship both at Winthrop and WSU right?

He is not my top guy but with him I see us having a much better chance to compete regularly for the BT championship. There was nothing in Creans background that compared except the one FF run for both

No, from looking at his career, I see a lot of similarities to Crean. His off-court persona/quirks, his demeanor, and personality lead me to believe they'd be similar.

I remember a 2013 Yahoo Sports Blog, "The Dagger " by Blogger ? ? Eisenberg regarding Gregg Marshall. Some interesting comments about money, family and happiness. Might be a good read for some that want more general info on him.

No, from looking at his career, I see a lot of similarities to Crean. His off-court persona/quirks, his demeanor, and personality lead me to believe they'd be similar.

He's not a homerun, but career wise the only comparison is the one FF run.  Aside from that Marshall literally blows Crean clear out of the water.

Marshall's teams play defense; something we haven't seen in 7 years. If we want to talk about quirks, it's not even close. If someone wants to compare the two on quirks, you better have a long list. Plus, he just beat us as a mid major team without a fraction of the facilities nor recruiting budget. More of the same isn't championships which Marshall delivers. Those that can't recognze that need to penn their eyes. He would be a great hire and infinitily better than what we have which is roll the balls out and outscore your opponent. How's that done in 7 years?

Yeah, I'd say it would be a little better than Crean, but definitely not a home run. Basically, not worth dedicating 3-5 years to and potentially missing out on a hire that would make us a transcendent power in that time frame.

Creans championships are counted on one hand minus a couple fingers. Marshall you need to take off his socks. Marshall actually coaches and wins just like Bo Ryan on a smaller level. When has Crean consistently won on any level? He is easily worth the risk vs getting the same crap year after year with Crean.

Creans championships are counted on one hand minus a couple fingers. Marshall you need to take off his socks. Marshall actually coaches and wins just like Bo Ryan on a smaller level. When has Crean consistently won on any level? He is easily worth the risk vs getting the same crap year after year with Crean.

I'm not disputing he would be a good coach, certainly better than Crean. Marshall wins conference championships. 

But it would be neglecting that what he does is on a very small scale compared to IU. I feel like for "up and comer" candidates, there needs to be a youthful exuberance to them. I question why Marshall hasn't made the leap yet, as he is fairly old. 

Everything I hear about his personality doesn't make me think he would be able to recruit well or deal with the politics.

I don't doubt if you went to the playground and gave Marshall a team to coach he would whoop Crean coached teams, but I'd like to hold out for someone who is:

younger/less quirky, proven to recruit better, and wins in march