Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs Illinois Post Game Thread

I thought we did a lot of nice things...We have been limiting our defensive mistakes but playing softer on shooters because we have no protection in the lane and we have such trouble keeping people out of the lane. That led to Illinois getting looks with their feet set early. 

Despite that, only really the 21-2 run was on us. Early in the game we got good looks and missed which gave them that early lead. The second mini run for Illinois was similar, but we righted the ship quickly.

The 21-2 run was full of bad shots by us and some of those defensive miscues...alot of that was communication. One time Hoetzel and Williams and Hartman were on the floor together and Illinois did a High low interchange and Troy was low and didn't call out the switch which led to an open three....Things like that gave them a few more open looks than would be best.

But, everyone contributed...

Ferrel has been doing exactly what he ought to as a point guard...I'd like to see him attack more during our droughts and take it on himself to make sure we are moving the ball in those times when shots aren't falling, but he has really taken care of the ball, hit some timely shots (still doesn't look that comfortable).

Blackmon is starting to get the mojo back and has picked his spots in driving a bit better.

Johnson was rock steady and has continued to improve in the little things.

Holt played really well and just missed an exclamation with the put back.

Hartman did all the little things and really negated Egwu (along with Holt)

Williams was good...mostly finisher rather than creator so I would rather give props to people setting him up, but his rebounding was great and much tougher than against PSU where he was pushed around a bit.

Zeisloft gave leadership and steady confidence when we needed big shots.

Robinson was a bit less fluid but I would have liked to have seen Crean and staff give him a chance on Nunn when he was hitting all those shots.

Some great sub choices including Hoetzel to exploit what Illinois was trying to do with Egwu defensively...put that fifth shooter on the floor and hit one immediately.

Wish we would be a bit more judicious in switching to the zone...left Nunn open late and it almost cost us.

On his off shooting night----great to see Yogi get 9 assists and only 1 turnover!

Only 9 turnovers the whole game for IU on the road in the Big Ten is acceptable!

I don't know if "acceptable" is the word I'd use. Maybe "something I can live with" better describes it.