Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

NCAA President Mark Emmert steps down, effective June 2023

Today, NCAA Board of Governors Chair John J. DeGioia announced by mutual agreement with the board that Mark Emmert will be stepping down as president of the NCAA.  He will continue to serve in his role until a new president is selected and in place or until June 30, 2023.  

"Throughout my tenure I've emphasized the need to focus on the experience and priorities of student-athletes," said Emmert.  "I am extremely proud of the work of the Association over the last 12 years and especially pleased with the hard work and dedication of the national office staff here in Indianapolis."

"With the significant transitions underway within college sports, the timing of this decision provides the Association with consistent leadership during the coming months plus the opportunity to consider what will be the future role of the president," said DeGioia. "It also allows for the selection and recruitment of the next president without disruption."

NCAA member schools adopted a new constitution in January and are in the process of transforming the structure and mission to meet future needs.

Ouch!

Pat Forde Tweet --  Mark Emmert is stepping down as president of the NCAA, ending an era of ineptitude. The association's problems are far too big for him to handle -- maybe too big for anyone, but he certainly wasn't the man for the new era.

Rick Bozich Re-Tweet -- Translation: The Barney Fife of NCAA administrators is saying goodbye.

Back in 2018 Oregon was put on 2-year probation for issues in both its men's and women's bball programs.  One of the findings at that time --

"...men’s basketball coach Dana Altman failed to monitor his director of basketball operations, Josh Jamieson."

And guess who was hired by Kenny Payne today as an assistant coach.................. Josh Jamieson!

https://www.si.com/college/2018/12/05/oregon-basketball-ncaa-investigation-two-year-probation-penalties

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Back in 2018 Oregon was put on 2-year probation for issues in both its men's and women's bball programs.  One of the findings at that time --

"...men’s basketball coach Dana Altman failed to monitor his director of basketball operations, Josh Jamieson."

And guess who was hired by Kenny Payne today as an assistant coach.................. Josh Jamieson!

https://www.si.com/college/2018/12/05/oregon-basketball-ncaa-investigation-two-year-probation-penalties

Interesting. I believe Louisville’s deal with Adidas is coming up soon. Payne has been a Nike guy forever and is obviously reaching out to Nike guys. We’ll see if they flip affiliations.

9 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Ouch!

Pat Forde Tweet --  Mark Emmert is stepping down as president of the NCAA, ending an era of ineptitude. The association's problems are far too big for him to handle -- maybe too big for anyone, but he certainly wasn't the man for the new era.

Rick Bozich Re-Tweet -- Translation: The Barney Fife of NCAA administrators is saying goodbye.

Truth

But I kind of liked Barney Fife

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is a major gut-punch to Calipari and UK. Jai Lucas has been the lead recruiter for every five star recruit they've gotten for the past few years. And he did this with the portal still open, rather than wait until after May1st!

MAJOR gut punch to Big Blew.

Good.  I hope they have an eternity like our last 20 years and the fleas of a thousand camels give them an itch they can't scratch.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Good.  I hope they have an eternity like our last 20 years and the fleas of a thousand camels give them an itch they can't scratch.

I hope Duke, UNC, UK and more all have our past 20 years. Hubert Davis had his Mike Davis moment last month and Scheyer is on deck!

On 4/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, JSHoosier said:

This won't happen!  I would rather wish good luck on our team, then ill-will on an opposing team!

Just because we f***ed ourselves doesn't mean every other blue blood will!

And IUc2016 is not a fan of Hunter Dickheadson. 

Maybe I am missing something but what does Mark Adams have to do with Shannon needing summer credits to get into Michigan? why would he be required to keep open a scholarship for shannon when shannon is the one who decided to transfer?

20 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

And IUc2016 is not a fan of Hunter Dickheadson. 

Maybe I am missing something but what does Mark Adams have to do with Shannon needing summer credits to get into Michigan? why would he be required to keep open a scholarship for shannon when shannon is the one who decided to transfer?

You are correct, Adams can’t reasonably be blamed for Shannon not taking summer courses. He can’t require that OR prevent it.

We don’t know the whole story, of course, but that’s simply not how course registration works. I know, it’s my field.

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

You are correct, Adams can’t reasonably be blamed for Shannon not taking summer courses. He can’t require that OR prevent it.

We don’t know the whole story, of course, but that’s simply not how course registration works. I know, it’s my field.

Like it’s possible it’s a cost issue, but you’d think a UM booster could throw summer tuition at Shannon if that’s all he needed. And I don’t know if that’s the case, anyway, I don’t know that Adams can just prevent his scholarship from covering summer classes out of spite.