Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

MSU, IOWA, Wisconsin, Purdue next tier IMO.  

I not sure OSU would be in the top tier.  If all the players return to UM and TJD comes back I think those two are at the top with MSU.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

According to the Inside Carolina scholarship grid, they were at 14 scholarships -- with Manek and Garcia on scholarship.  With the two of them gone, they would be at 12.....so they would still be one under.

Geez, it's not like Goodman to make a mistake......

I sorta misread his tweet.

He was kinda wrong in saying everyone's back but Manek, but he didn't say that the return of Bacot, Love, Davis, with the three guys coming in put them over the limit. He said they were losing one guy and had three coming in, so I assumed. 

I shouldn't assume. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

He was kinda wrong in saying everyone's back but Manek, but he didn't say that the return of Bacot, Love, Davis, with the three guys coming in put them over the limit. He said they were losing one guy and had three coming in, so I assumed. 

I shouldn't assume. 

I made a mistake as well -- the grid on the Carolina site is a real cluster (It still has Manek on the team for the 2023-4 season, LOL).  Anyway, I looked at what the grid will be for 2022-23.  They lose Manek and Garcia, bring in three freshman, so they currently are one over the limit.

9 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I shouldn't assume. 

I was wrong and they are over by 1 (see post above).  Goodman was wrong in saying it was only Manek that was gone.

EDIT:  Actually, turns out I wasn't wrong and Goodman doubly wrong.  Anthony Harris also in the transfer portal.  Manek, Garcia, and Harris left, they brought in three recruits.  They are not over the limit.

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

MSU, IOWA, Wisconsin, Purdue next tier IMO.  

Really? I know it is likely to change, but tell me about Purdue‘s current guard situation.

and I don’t want to hear “Painter always gets it done”, because that’s not always true.

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Really? I know it is likely to change, but tell me about Purdue‘s current guard situation.

and I don’t want to hear “Painter always gets it done”, because that’s not always true.

Yep Purdue lost a ton of production from ‘19 to ‘20 and would have missed the tournament that got canceled because of COVID even with some decent but inexperienced talent on the roster (Williams, Stefanovic, Hunter). Unless they get a major upgrade at guard in the portal, this could be a really rough year even with their post talent.

Painter is a great coach and I really their bigs. Edey is sometimes unstoppable. Furst or Kaufman, (more likely Furst) will blossom with a bigger role. Furst can do a little bit of everything. I like Gillis.

So even a starting 6 of Morton, Newman, Gillis, Furst, Edey (Kaufman) seems enough to make them 2nd tier. Their guards are weak but their bigs are a strength and painter likes his bigs. Had they got Pack and kept Hunter imo, they’d be fighting for first tier with Michigan, OSU, Indiana (with TJD), and maybe MSU.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Painter is a great coach and I really their bigs. Edey is sometimes unstoppable. Furst or Kaufman, (more likely Furst) will blossom with a bigger role. Furst can do a little bit of everything. I like Gillis.

So even a starting 6 of Morton, Newman, Gillis, Furst, Edey (Kaufman) seems enough to make them 2nd tier. Their guards are weak but their bigs are a strength and painter likes his bigs. Had they got Pack and kept Hunter imo, they’d be fighting for first tier with Michigan, OSU, Indiana (with TJD), and maybe MSU.

I learned a long time ago to not assume Purdue is going to suck. They have a good coach and he will find players who work within his system. And, although I want to beat them at everything all the time, I respect the way they play and do things. On the other hand, I have zero respect for UK.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

While I perpetually underestimate Purdoo, objectively their guards are underwhelming and Furst is out all summer with foot surgery.  Also not sure Edney can stay on the floor more than 20min. Painter is a good coach (until March!) but nothing about this roster makes me think they are top 6 in conference, even in a down year. 

Painter is a good coach and a really good guy? Sure; I’m with you.

Painter always ends up doing well? You’re confusing him with Wisconsin. In the past ten years he’s had an 11th and a 12th place B1G finish. That’s worse than any Archie Miller Indiana team, and the 12th is worse than IU since Crean-pre-Zeller.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Painter is a good coach and a really good guy? Sure; I’m with you.

Painter always ends up doing well? You’re confusing him with Wisconsin. In the past ten years he’s had an 11th and a 12th place B1G finish. That’s worse than any Archie Miller Indiana team, and the 12th is worse than IU since Crean-pre-Zeller.

You can buy those kind of dips with his track record, but it’s also the difference between expectations at IU any PU. Difference also works in an IU coach’s favor, though; one of the reasons expectations are higher is the recruiting capital.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I not sure OSU would be in the top tier.  If all the players return to UM and TJD comes back I think those two are at the top with MSU.

I’d agree with this, OSU would be in the next tier

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

UNC natty favorites next year? Or will they be the 2022 UCLA and underachieve the entire season

This pattern repeats over and over. Steve Fisher, Mike Davis, Bruce Webber, Kevin Ollie... Hubert Davis (likely) and John Scheyer ( up for his 1 and done run next season)

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Thought Newman entered the portal.