Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Just now, mdn82 said:

Remember when Mark Gottfried, Tom Crean, and Turgeon was the next wave of great coaches? I do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Lol I saw something where they are expecting Crean to have Georgia in the top half is the league based on the talented freshmen he has. 

They need to get prepared for some disappointment. 

Remember when Mark Gottfried, Tom Crean, and Turgeon was the next wave of great coaches? I do.

I was wrong on Turgeon. He did so well building really strong teams at the midmajor level. At Wichita St he was there long enough to show that he could recruit and the lead his recruits to success.

I guess he has not been terrible at Maryland but I did think had the potential to be very good

I was wrong on Turgeon. He did so well building really strong teams at the midmajor level. At Wichita St he was there long enough to show that he could recruit and the lead his recruits to success.

I guess he has not been terrible at Maryland but I did think had the potential to be very good

Maryland has had enough talent to be top 10 teams. That team in 15-16 with Trimble, Sulaimon, Layman, Carter and Stone underperformed. That was one of the best starting 5’s in the nation and should have been competing for a national title. Instead finished 3rd in the B1G and went to the S16(the furthest Maryland has went since he’s been at Maryland).

Me too. I never thought much of Gottfried. I always thought Crean would be the second best of the group. I suppose he was, but my mind had all 3 going at least somewhat better.

4 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Me too. I never thought much of Gottfried. I always thought Crean would be the second best of the group. I suppose he was, but my mind had all 3 going at least somewhat better.

I think Crean is the best of that group. He’s gone to a Final Four, won two Big Ten Titles, been to another 3 Sweet Sixteens, and put the most guys in the NBA out of the group. 

I think Crean is the best of that group. He’s gone to a Final Four, won two Big Ten Titles, been to another 3 Sweet Sixteens, and put the most guys in the NBA out of the group. 

And that I couldn’t disagree with that. Crean’s career at IU we went to the Sweet 16s. Got us a 1 seed. Turgeon has dramatically underperformed in the tournament. But during the regular season since they came to the B1G I would have taken Turgeon’s consistency over Crean. At some point when you have that many pretty good teams it will pay off. But neither one is exactly someone I would feel overwhelmingly strong about.

8 hours ago, mdn82 said:

And that I couldn’t disagree with that. Crean’s career at IU we went to the Sweet 16s. Got us a 1 seed. Turgeon has dramatically underperformed in the tournament. But during the regular season since they came to the B1G I would have taken Turgeon’s consistency over Crean. At some point when you have that many pretty good teams it will pay off. But neither one is exactly someone I would feel overwhelmingly strong about.

Did you look at Turgeon’s record? He’s got two second place finishes in the Big Ten and a 3rd, otherwise it’s a bunch of 5th-8th place finishes. I know Creanchad his issues, but at least to this point I’d take Crean’s Big Ten Titles, #1 ranking, wins of top 5-10 teams and the 3 Sweet Sixteens over Turgeon’s in a heartbeat. 

Did you look at Turgeon’s record? He’s got two second place finishes in the Big Ten and a 3rd, otherwise it’s a bunch of 5th-8th place finishes. I know Creanchad his issues, but at least to this point I’d take Crean’s Big Ten Titles, #1 ranking, wins of top 5-10 teams and the 3 Sweet Sixteens over Turgeon’s in a heartbeat. 

For sure I was talking mainly about his time in the B1G.