Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bk4life

Double D laying down a truth bomb right now on 1070!

Actually DD calls a good game fwhen he does IU games. People just don't like hearing the truth about IU playing bad basketball. Back in 2012/13 everyone loved Dan doing the games bc he was spot on.

This is always the comeback is that "people don't like hearing the truth". I agree that they played bad last year during some of the games he called but he was constantly bringing up the same things over and over again. I think he was looking for any small little problem and would just complain and complain about it.
I just think its funny that all of a sudden because he is on ESPN he is some sort of coaching "expert" but throw him into the game as the head coach, and then we can really talk about bad basketball

Actually DD calls a good game fwhen he does IU games. People just don't like hearing the truth about IU playing bad basketball. Back in 2012/13 everyone loved Dan doing the games bc he was spot on.

Back in 2012 everyone I knew felt the same way about Dan calling the games as ever. He's terrible. He doesn't say things because they're "the truth" he says them because he can and because he has a radio show he wants people to listen to. How anyone can say he just speaks the truth after hearing him slobber on Craft's knob with every drooling breath just blows my mind. He has obvious biases, and "speaks the truth" the same way Bill O'Reily or Bill Maher speak the truth, aka if you agree with what he says you believe it regardless of its objective truth.

It's laughable to see so many jabronis who believe they know basketball better than dakich...just because it goes over well on your xbox nba 2015 game, doesn't mean u know basketball....pretty sure the guy is more qualified to talk basketball than 99% of the message board coaches here???even if he can be an ass to callers at times...

It's laughable to see so many jabronis who believe they know basketball better than dakich...just because it goes over well on your xbox nba 2015 game, doesn't mean u know basketball....pretty sure the guy is more qualified to talk basketball than 99% of the message board coaches here???even if he can be an ass to callers at times...

Also considering the types of people who come on his show and respect him. Coach K, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Brad Stevens, etc. He obviously is well respected in the field by people that acutally matter. 

I agree with you 100%. I listen to him not because I like everything he says (he tends to go on soap boxes that are somewhat annoying). I listen to him because he is knowledgeable, well connected, and sometimes really funny.

Also considering the types of people who come on his show and respect him. Coach K, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Brad Stevens, etc. He obviously is well respected in the field by people that acutally matter. 

I agree with you 100%. I listen to him not because I like everything he says (he tends to go on soap boxes that are somewhat annoying). I listen to him because he is knowledgeable, well connected, and sometimes really funny.

Though, also consider that the people who don't agree with him or respect him aren't going to go on his show.

I agree that he knows a lot, but when he goes on his soap boxes is when he shows the gaps in his knowledge and his biases. The things he knows he knows well, but he doesn't admit the things he doesn't know, he just fakes it. That's what I don't like. If he could be impartial and defer to others when he doesn't know something, then he could be a great personality. At the moment, in my opinion, he blows. He lets his personal experiences bias how he calls things, he is hard on IU for things he isn't hard on Michigan for. Or is very very "kind" to Craft for something that he'll disdain Yogi for.

I don't think that he is stupid, or that I'm smarter than him, or anything like that. I think he's blinded by his history. If ESPN had him call ACC games instead he would be great. No one should be calling for their son's team anyway.

Great way to argue the facts man rather than focusing on the use of colorful language. No wonder you like Dakich so much.

I'll let him argue the facts with you while I touch on yours and a few others colorful language tonight. Clean it up a bit folks. Capiche?

And we are turning on each other now. That was inevitable

I haven't been around this board too awful long, but since I have been, I haven't seen anyone be too awful nice to each other on here. I think people have turned on each other for awhile haha a

He did SOOOO well at Bowling Green and as the interim here at IU hahaha. Im not saying that I know more aout basketball than he does nor do I believe anyone else does. But people are right, he is paid to complain and be a shock-jock, just like Stephan A Smith and Skip Bayless. But what makes them all experts? What makes Dakich an expert? He was a good player back in the day and has been a longtime assistant and head coach, but his head coaching record is nothing special. If you listen to Dakich call an IU game vs Knight calling an IU game, there is a big difference. Knight really analyzes that game and says things in a more constructive criticism-like manner while Dakich more or less complains the whole time. I think the man is just bitter. Just my opinion. I know you have your mind made up and you like the guy, thats fine too

He did SOOOO well at Bowling Green and as the interim here at IU hahaha. Im not saying that I know more aout basketball than he does nor do I believe anyone else does. But people are right, he is paid to complain and be a shock-jock, just like Stephan A Smith and Skip Bayless. But what makes them all experts? What makes Dakich an expert? He was a good player back in the day and has been a longtime assistant and head coach, but his head coaching record is nothing special. If you listen to Dakich call an IU game vs Knight calling an IU game, there is a big difference. Knight really analyzes that game and says things in a more constructive criticism-like manner while Dakich more or less complains the whole time. I think the man is just bitter. Just my opinion. I know you have your mind made up and you like the guy, thats fine too

I am not sure how he would do as HC but when you look at his records you really have to understand what your talking about. He took over a Bowling Green team that was terrible. Built them up and after the '02 year when they were 24-8 he took the West Virginia job. After a few days there he found out they were not interested in a clean program and he was able to head back to Bowling Green.

Once back there his recruiting took a bit because everyone now assumed he would leave again. He managed a respectable 5 more years and had a team late that was expected to compete for the MAC again but his top player got injured.

His time at IU should be one we are thankful for. He took no prisoners and dealt severely with trouble.

I would not put him on my interview list for IU but I think your wrong if you think he cannot coach.

I am not sure how he would do as HC but when you look at his records you really have to understand what your talking about. He took over a Bowling Green team that was terrible. Built them up and after the '02 year when they were 24-8 he took the West Virginia job. After a few days there he found out they were not interested in a clean program and he was able to head back to Bowling Green.

Once back there his recruiting took a bit because everyone now assumed he would leave again. He managed a respectable 5 more years and had a team late that was expected to compete for the MAC again but his top player got injured.

His time at IU should be one we are thankful for. He took no prisoners and dealt severely with trouble.

I would not put him on my interview list for IU but I think your wrong if you think he cannot coach.

I know there are "stories" behind every record and year but honestly if he was that good of a coach he would still be coaching. ESPN is a heck of a gig but the guy had marginal success in the MAC so he was a decent coach at best. I guess I get tired of the whole idea of "experts" being people who never really had a great amount of success coaching or playing and just because they work for ESPN they are all of a sudden and expert. Just my opinion

I know there are "stories" behind every record and year but honestly if he was that good of a coach he would still be coaching. ESPN is a heck of a gig but the guy had marginal success in the MAC so he was a decent coach at best. I guess I get tired of the whole idea of "experts" being people who never really had a great amount of success coaching or playing and just because they work for ESPN they are all of a sudden and expert. Just my opinion

That is fair. I think he was an above average MAC coach. There are a lot of ESPN experts that were fired coaches. Our own Lee Corso on the football side. I think they bring a perspective we cannot and they do warrant the expert title but you are right in that some assume expert means great coach.

GREAT post.

Factual and spot on.