Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) SG Rawle Alkins to Arizona

I just don't see a junior Blackmon being much different than Rawle in that lineup. You would have 4 great defenders around him so his defense doesn't get exposed as much as normal, plus you have 2 freshmen on the floor instead of 3. Rojo *could* be the guy that gets you buckets, but Jimmy is already an elite scorer.

I don't think we lose with either JB or Rawle, but all I'm saying is if you said I could choose between an elite scoring junior surrounded by good defenders or losing the elite scorer and *maybe* getting a very (VERY) good freshman, I'm keeping Jimmy 11 times out of 10.

I agree it's potentially a great problem to have. I just don't like the fact better teams will look to take Jimbo when they need a bucket. I would love a lineup that other teams look at and say "shit, where do we go to score". I do worry a bit where the offense will come from if Troy and JBJ are gone with Yogi and Z3(4) leave. Maybe we'll dump it down to TB and DD more?

I agree it's potentially a great problem to have. I just don't like the fact better teams will look to take Jimbo when they need a bucket. I would love a lineup that other teams look at and say "****, where do we go to score". I do worry a bit where the offense will come from if Troy and JBJ are gone with Yogi and Z3(4) leave. Maybe we'll dump it down to TB and DD more?

Would be interesting for sure. I would really hope you were right and Rob became the go-to guy for big shots because we would need scoring badly.

Would be interesting for sure. I would really hope you were right and Rob became the go-to guy for big shots because we would need scoring badly.

Or OG just blows up over the summer and secures a starting wing spot, RoJo unleashes his inner Yogi, and a frosh guard steps up. We have a balanced roster that can straight lockdown offenses and we need not worry about JBB or Alkins...?

Or OG just blows up over the summer and secures a starting wing spot, RoJo unleashes his inner Yogi, and a frosh guard steps up. We have a balanced roster that can straight lockdown offenses and we need not worry about JBB or Alkins...?

Yes please.

Good discussion.  Count me in the OG fan club---predict we see major jumps (literally) between year 1 and 2 and then 3. I have been impressed with him and there have been lean IU BB years in which he would have been a starter this year.  Thankfully, we have the luxury this year to bring him along slowly. 

Back on topic---I'll still take Rawle every day of the week and hope we end up with him. I think there is a real chance if JBJ leaves early.

Unless he really misses home, you have to think St Johns is out...

UNC, if they get hammered, I can't imagine will be too much of a threat but they do have great pull and he is in NC. 

NC State, he is near them at his prep school, may have a good relationship with the staff. Not sure how their make up on the court is

We make a lot of sense if this is a basketball decision if JBJ leaves IMO

I love Rawle and would be thrilled to get him, but I wonder how much difference there would be between 1-and-done (assuming) Rawle and a junior Jimmy. If we miss on Rawle because a junior Blackmon stays, I can't say that I would complain at all. I know they're different players with different skill sets, but I would almost rather Jimmy stay. (Which I have doubts about, but that's another conversation)

I dont mean this to be a slight towards JB but Rawle Alkins is a better overall player right now than JB will ever be, IMHO. I think Rawle Alkins and I compare his impact to that of Eric Gordon. He's a winner and competitor and JB is a scorer.

We make a lot of sense if this is a basketball decision if JBJ leaves IMO

I've had the same thoughts until today.  As much as CTC and staff have developed and imo deserved the identity of a "developmental program", it would not surprise me if the staff crafted their pitch to Rawle or any other guards such that JB as well as all the back court players will account for quality blocks of time on & off the offensive ball.  So the focus would be more of a rotation rather than it's  JB at the 2 or Rawle at the 2.  Could be way wrong... just a different angle on that thought.

I think after missing on BB we have space for Rawle no matter what.  Rawle would likely start even if Blackmon stays.  At this point playing time is not the reason IU will miss on Rawle if we do indeed.  With BB, playing time was going to be tight if JB returned, that problem is now squashed. 

Rawle, Rawle, Rawle.  Keep that Mickey D streak alive.