Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) SG Rawle Alkins to Arizona

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/the-rawle-alkins-blog-uncs-mj-comparisons-new-earring-psat-and-more-rawle-alkins-word-of-god

Note that he's waiting until the spring to see what players and coaches are there. While he would never say that's about any one team, that describes IU perfectly. I think since IU was in on his recruitment early along with many other factors, that we have been and continue to be his first choice. Can't wait to see him make his official visit.

The way he talked about wanting to say he could go anywhere, (he mentioned this last year), was just him feeding his ego. "I could have gone to Kansas, UK, UNC, IU, anywhere." type of thing.

We were in very early and I think that matters. It certainly did with De'Ron Davis.

I HATE how Coach Calipari can just say, "Yeah, here at UK, we're a training ground for the pros!" Pisses me off

Yeah the thing about coaches matters more with him and that does describe us better than any of his other suitors.  I feel like he really does want to come here.  But we have to show him that he will have talented teammates around him and that he will know who his coach is. 

Really think hes not going to Kentucky they aren't interested and hes an adidas kid

Still watching Rawle closely.  We've put a ton of work in to get him and we offered him early before he blew up big-time.  I hope he remembers that when it comes time to choose.  If it's a close call---maybe that will put us over the top!  I think it did with Davis. Go Hoosiers!

That protects us from him going to UK.  NC State having less talent to put around him might help him choose us over NC State.

I still don't buy any chance he ends up at UK though. 

I think their class is shaping up to have plenty of talent. Your second point, I agree as of now. He is clearly not of their first line of targets and he knows that. A lot of time before his decision though so who knows. 

Does a Brown commit help or hurt with Rawle? Thoughts?

In my opinion it will hurt a little but doesn't have nearly the amount of effect as if JBJ goes pro or not. Rawle should remain a top priority until we get word about JBJ's pro status.

I love Rawle and would be thrilled to get him, but I wonder how much difference there would be between 1-and-done (assuming) Rawle and a junior Jimmy. If we miss on Rawle because a junior Blackmon stays, I can't say that I would complain at all. I know they're different players with different skill sets, but I would almost rather Jimmy stay. (Which I have doubts about, but that's another conversation)

this is honestly exactly how I feel.

I love Rawle and would be thrilled to get him, but I wonder how much difference there would be between 1-and-done (assuming) Rawle and a junior Jimmy. If we miss on Rawle because a junior Blackmon stays, I can't say that I would complain at all. I know they're different players with different skill sets, but I would almost rather Jimmy stay. (Which I have doubts about, but that's another conversation)

Idk... I'm really disappointed in what we're seeing from Jimbo so far. He wants to be a lottery pick, and I'm not sure I want him playing starters minutes with the way he handles the ball and plays defense.

This is where I'm at. Typically, when talent is relatively close I'd always want the junior. But, JBJ just isn't a "winning" player IMO. He's extremely talented and can shoot with the best of them, but I don't think you win big with him. He reminds me of Ricky Davis from his days in the NBA. Remember, Ricky Davis averaged close to 20ppg, 5rpg and 5apg for years, but never won anything. I'm pretty sure he was only in the playoffs once in his career. He was amazingly athletic, but played little D, was money from the mid-range, etc., but just wasn't a guy you won with. He made a lot of mental errors in terms of defense, turnovers, etc.

Idk... I'm really disappointed in what we're seeing from Jimbo so far. He wants to be a lottery pick, and I'm not sure I want him playing starters minutes with the way he handles the ball and plays defense.

It's been 2 games. I'm really not worried about him and can forgive some defensive mishaps if he's giving us 15-20 points a night. Think about him having *another* offseason to develop under Crean too. Having that type of older guy on the court who you can go to for big buckets with a young team next year would be huge.

I see where you're coming from but....
A lineup of RoJo, BB, and Alkins on the perimeter with DD and TB inside gets me giddy. Teams could no longer pass it around the perimeter to the matchup of the weakest defender and then attack. And image another offseason for RoJo under Crean's development. He might be that player that could go and get you a bucket when needed.

I see where you're coming from but....
A lineup of RoJo, BB, and Alkins on the perimeter with DD and TB inside gets me giddy. Teams could no longer pass it around the perimeter to the matchup of the weakest defender and then attack. And image another offseason for RoJo under Crean's development. He might be that player that could go and get you a bucket when needed.

I just don't see a junior Blackmon being much different than Rawle in that lineup. You would have 4 great defenders around him so his defense doesn't get exposed as much as normal, plus you have 2 freshmen on the floor instead of 3. Rojo *could* be the guy that gets you buckets, but Jimmy is already an elite scorer.

I don't think we lose with either JB or Rawle, but all I'm saying is if you said I could choose between an elite scoring junior surrounded by good defenders or losing the elite scorer and *maybe* getting a very (VERY) good freshman, I'm keeping Jimmy 11 times out of 10.