Pagoda Posted September 24 Posted September 24 13 minutes ago, str8baller said: Yes, I think so. But since it’s an emergency stay application I would count on it being an all-or-nothing deal. The NCAA has to file a proposed order with the stay, I think, and so we’ll see what they’re asking for. I’d bet they’re asking for relief from the whole thing. I suppose the good news here is that if the court gives them the stiff arm on this, the odds go way up for the players. As we thought, last night the NCAA filed an emergency motion with the trial court to stay the injunction and asked the court to rule within 24 hours. TBD if the court meets that deadline, but it will deny the motion. The NCAA will then file the same motion with the Court of Appeals. I’m reading this from random anon accounts who seem knowledgeable. skhoosier2, Stuhoo and ronzo4IU 1 2 Quote
Hoosier987 Posted September 24 Posted September 24 22 minutes ago, Pagoda said: As we thought, last night the NCAA filed an emergency motion with the trial court to stay the injunction and asked the court to rule within 24 hours. TBD if the court meets that deadline, but it will deny the motion. The NCAA will then file the same motion with the Court of Appeals. I’m reading this from random anon accounts who seem knowledgeable. Yes. The emergency stay will likely get denied (as it’s the same Judge that ruled in favor?) allowing Daley, Wyatt and others to remain eligible. Then the ncaa will likely take it to the appellate courts later down the road (how long that is, I’m not sure). Quote
str8baller Posted September 24 Posted September 24 9 minutes ago, Pagoda said: As we thought, last night the NCAA filed an emergency motion with the trial court to stay the injunction and asked the court to rule within 24 hours. TBD if the court meets that deadline, but it will deny the motion. The NCAA will then file the same motion with the Court of Appeals. I’m reading this from random anon accounts who seem knowledgeable. Ah…I assumed they were filling with the appellate court. I’m not aware of an emergency stay to the trial court, but is been a while since i dealt with IN civ pro. Generally you can appeal an injunction by right. I see what they’re saying now with regard to “playing time,” I guess. I doubt the trial court bites. Probably setting up the same argument for tomorrow with the appellate court knowing there’s a Fri football game. Seems flimsy. You’re correct that this is a pro forma filing that will be denied. We’ll see what they file with the court of appeals. Pagoda 1 Quote
ronzo4IU Posted September 24 Posted September 24 What does the NCAA get out of waging this battle is what I don't get? 68Hoosier, Artie86, cthomas and 1 other 4 Quote
Home Jersey Posted September 24 Posted September 24 3 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said: What does the NCAA get out of waging this battle is what I don't get? Frustrating enough people that the general public has a big enough appetite for Congress to give the NCAA the legislation it wants. The Protect College Sports Act aka The Protect ESPN Profits Act that they're rolling Saban out to promote 24/7 like a low budget carney. str8baller, AZ Hoosier, ronzo4IU and 2 others 4 1 Quote
str8baller Posted September 24 Posted September 24 2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said: Frustrating enough people that the general public has a big enough appetite for Congress to give the NCAA the legislation it wants. That and I think there’s a case to be made for legitimacy. I.e. if you won’t even enforce your own rules, what’s the point in having the NCAA? This is just a dumb hill to die on. With that said, the players/agents overplayed their hands with the Kiffin and Sorsby stuff. There’s been some backlash and the NCAA senses they have some momentum, so I see why they’re going ahead. The problem for them is this is such a dumb hill to die on. FWIW, I was reading about a couple of the amendments offered for the Protect whatever Act and it reaffirms my initial thought that it is unlikely to pass. skhoosier2 and Home Jersey 2 Quote
Home Jersey Posted September 24 Posted September 24 Just now, str8baller said: That and I think there’s a case to be made for legitimacy. I.e. if you won’t even enforce your own rules, what’s the point in having the NCAA? This is just a dumb hill to die on. With that said, the players/agents overplayed their hands with the Kiffin and Sorsby stuff. There’s been some backlash and the NCAA senses they have some momentum, so I see why they’re going ahead. The problem for them is this is such a dumb hill to die on. FWIW, I was reading about a couple of the amendments offered for the Protect whatever Act and it reaffirms my initial thought that it is unlikely to pass. IMO an alternative to the NCAA just needs to emerge at this point. Time to evolve. pumpfake and FWHoosier84 2 Quote
ronzo4IU Posted September 24 Posted September 24 1 hour ago, Home Jersey said: IMO an alternative to the NCAA just needs to emerge at this point. Time to evolve. Yep Home Jersey 1 Quote
TheWatShot Posted September 24 Posted September 24 4 hours ago, ronzo4IU said: What does the NCAA get out of waging this battle is what I don't get? A sense of power and control. ronzo4IU 1 Quote
skhoosier2 Posted September 24 Posted September 24 1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said: Since this goes back to the same court most think this stay request is denied then they move to the appellate court on appeal. From what I’ve read on X this is all the expected next steps in the battle. The NCAA has had success winning stays with appellate courts. If they are denied there most think it plays out that they don’t go to court before football season is over ala Louis Moore case. Stuhoo, Home Jersey and BtownStrength 3 Quote
DChoosier Posted September 24 Posted September 24 7 hours ago, ronzo4IU said: What does the NCAA get out of waging this battle is what I don't get? I agree. It’s a weird hill to die on. The NCAA recently proclaimed 5 and 5 so why not allow the 2022 HS class to participate within the rule the NCAA itself just put together?? I might be in the minority but, even though I loathe Kiffin/LSU, I would also allow their “pro” players to play. They were not valued draft picks but declared for the NFL because they did not know the 5 years to play rule would go into effect. Going forward, players will know the rules, in regards to 5 for 5, so they will make more informed decisions at which point I would agree with no “pros” playing in college.lll Home Jersey, 323SGrant, ronzo4IU and 1 other 4 Quote
Class of '66 Old Fart Posted Monday at 08:11 PM Posted Monday at 08:11 PM Michael Niziolek: The NCAA has filed an emergency motion in court under appellate Rule 56 (A) to have the the Indiana Supreme Court assume immediate jurisdiction over its appeal, here's the text of said rule: Quote
skhoosier2 Posted Monday at 08:22 PM Posted Monday at 08:22 PM 15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said: Michael Niziolek: The NCAA has filed an emergency motion in court under appellate Rule 56 (A) to have the the Indiana Supreme Court assume immediate jurisdiction over its appeal, here's the text of said rule: Good lord they are really concerned about this so much they are going right to the top. Maybe they like their chances better with Indiana Supreme Court. Appears posters on X think they will lean on Braun to get the court in line or threaten to leave Indiana if they don’t rule in favor of NCAA. I really am just baffled at how they are going to do everything in their power to keep the 2022 class from getting this extra year. RaceToTheTop 1 Quote
Pagoda Posted Monday at 08:31 PM Posted Monday at 08:31 PM I do not know what technically constitutes an emergency of “great public importance” — but some ‘22 class players getting their 5th year is not it. This seems fine for the Court of Appeals. cthomas, skhoosier2 and RaceToTheTop 3 Quote
Home Jersey Posted Monday at 08:49 PM Posted Monday at 08:49 PM This organization deserves to burn and have something new fill its place AZ Hoosier, BtownStrength and skhoosier2 2 1 Quote
str8baller Posted Monday at 11:20 PM Posted Monday at 11:20 PM 2 hours ago, Pagoda said: I do not know what technically constitutes an emergency of “great public importance” — but some ‘22 class players getting their 5th year is not it. This seems fine for the Court of Appeals. It’s not. It’s kind of laughable on its face. I think there desperation is probably good for the players. I know the NCAA is headquartered in Indy, but I find it hard the Ind Sup Ct would really care. Generally, you might see an emergency application get taken up like that where time is of the essence like in an elections case. I think somewhat recently the Sup Ct took up an emergency petition when the original attorneys were kicked off in the Delphi murders case. You can see how election laws getting upended weeks or days away from an election might constitute an emergency, but saying who is or isn’t eligible for a football game? C’mon… Pagoda and skhoosier2 2 Quote
cbp4iu Posted Tuesday at 12:04 AM Posted Tuesday at 12:04 AM 42 minutes ago, str8baller said: It’s not. It’s kind of laughable on its face. I think there desperation is probably good for the players. I know the NCAA is headquartered in Indy, but I find it hard the Ind Sup Ct would really care. Collegesports news Generally, you might see an emergency application get taken up like that where time is of the essence like in an elections case. I think somewhat recently the Sup Ct took up an emergency petition when the original attorneys were kicked off in the Delphi murders case. You can see how election laws getting upended weeks or days away from an election might constitute an emergency, but saying who is or isn’t eligible for a football game? C’mon… I could also see Braun caring less too. Especially with local elections and stuff coming up… I think Braun also truly enjoys the success of the Hoosiers Quote
cbp4iu Posted Tuesday at 12:18 AM Posted Tuesday at 12:18 AM Also wasn’t there new information found like Saturday. The group that represented Daley and Wyatt. Quote
DChoosier Posted Tuesday at 12:57 AM Posted Tuesday at 12:57 AM The NCAA, that easily gave up when UNC, Kansas, Duke etc were caught cheating in basketball, with much of it on tape, but for some reason that same NCAA is hellbent on stopping guys that graduated high school 5 years ago from playing even though they just passed a 5/5 rule. I mean WTF ??? WayneFleekHoosier and skhoosier2 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.