Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

27 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

TBF even the best coaches miss out on players. The overall roster building strategy of going after a 29% 3 point shooter when we have galloway who can't shoot is infuriating.

Mediocre Mike is in a class all by himself missing on players.  :)  

29 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

TBF even the best coaches miss out on players. The overall roster building strategy of going after a 29% 3 point shooter when we have galloway who can't shoot is infuriating.

Yeah, it's not that missing out on Foster is so bad. It's that the approach to recruiting seems to be throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. We rely on being more talented than other teams with this play style, and the staff has not done a good job of evaluating talent (on the roster or recruiting trail). We're casting a wide net and unlikely to land the talent we actually need. Instead we will out spend and overpay for, likely mediocre at best, results.

I see on Twitter to "just wait" because "there are others still playing who have not hit the portal yet, we have to be picky, don't want to fill up too quickly" (lmao NGW). There are only 16 teams left. SURELY some of the players currently in the portal would be takes. Two teams currently playing in the tournament have already landed portal commitments. I guess getting the kids on campus is nice, definitely a step in the right direction. Does it inspire any confidence for me? Nope.

It doesn't look like they know what they are doing. If they land 2 "studs" and some nice role players, I still won't be convinced they "know what they are doing." or that it's all part of some master plan... or that talent is the only issue here (its one of many). 

Edit: sorry mods, thought this was the FMW thread. I will not pile on from here.

32 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah, it's not that missing out on Foster is so bad. It's that the approach to recruiting seems to be throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. We rely on being more talented than other teams with this play style, and the staff has not done a good job of evaluating talent (on the roster or recruiting trail). We're casting a wide net and unlikely to land the talent we actually need. Instead we will out spend and overpay for, likely mediocre at best, results.

I think if you followed any P5 division 1 program as closely as you followed IU you'd see the same approach in the portal.  IMO, IU contacted too few portal players last year and didn't have any plan B in mind and this season IU has to replace more spots than in the past. 

Take a look at Kansas, for example.  They've contacted (probably more than just this list, but these have been public):  Michael Ajayi, Ja'Kobi Gillespie, Jeff Nwanko, Jayden Stone, Leland Walker, Jalen Leach, Brandon Garrison, Clark Slajchert, Amari Williams, Gibson Jimerson.  Of note is that I believe two of those have already committed to other schools now, one is a JUCO player and another played for one win Detroit Mercy.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

I think if you followed any P5 division 1 program as closely as you followed IU you'd see the same approach in the portal.  IMO, IU contacted too few portal players last year and didn't have any plan B in mind and this season IU has to replace more spots than in the past. 

Take a look at Kansas, for example.  They've contacted (probably more than just this list, but these have been public):  Michael Ajayi, Ja'Kobi Gillespie, Jeff Nwanko, Jayden Stone, Leland Walker, Jalen Leach, Brandon Garrison, Clark Slajchert, Amari Williams, Gibson Jimerson.  Of note is that I believe two of those have already committed to other schools now, one is a JUCO player and another played for one win Detroit Mercy.

Yeah, I could have worded my post better. I don't mind casting a wide net, but the fact they don't have a good track record of evaluating talent makes me think they don't actually know what they want/are looking for. Just someone rated highly who will say yes, because they trust their ability to put players in the best position to win. That's how the approach feels to me. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

The idea that we have a giant war chest is amusing to me. Yup we have a ton of money but need to buy a roster of players. Other programs can focus their money on 1-2 players, so don’t need the massive war chest that IU supposedly has. 

IIRC doesn’t Xavier have 1or 2 guys in the portal too? Opening for Foster fwiw

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

There is a huge issue comparing Kansas and IU when it comes to building a roster for next year. Yes, Kansas, and most schools, cast a wide net because portal season is so short. It’s hard to zero in on recruits when you only have a couple weeks before they commit. BUT…. Kansas has 3 top 50 high school kids coming in. They are plugging holes with the portal, not building a roster. When Kansas casts a wide net and only land one or two, they are still fine. Not IU. IU is casting a wide because they need a lot of players. There is a massive difference.

6 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

There is a huge issue comparing Kansas and IU when it comes to building a roster for next year. Yes, Kansas, and most schools, cast a wide net because portal season is so short. It’s hard to zero in on recruits when you only have a couple weeks before they commit. BUT…. Kansas has 3 top 50 high school kids coming in. They are plugging holes with the portal, not building a roster. When Kansas casts a wide net and only land one or two, they are still fine. Not IU. IU is casting a wide because they need a lot of players. There is a massive difference.

So what should IU do since they need to build through the portal, cast a small net?  I don’t like the lack of 24 recruits but you can linger on what you don’t have or try to advance forward.  The net should be a broad one.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So what should IU do since they need to build through the portal, cast a small net?  I don’t like the lack of 24 recruits but you can linger on what you don’t have or try to advance forward.  The net should be a broad one.

Pray?  lol

Yes, they need to cast a wide net…and maybe contact some 2025 recruits?

3 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Pray?  lol

Yes, they need to cast a wide net…and maybe contact some 2025 recruits?

I don’t disagree that they need 25 recruits but we’re talking what to do for the upcoming season.

13 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree. As long as you have a vision for how you want to play, you’ve identified the traits you’re looking for and the kids you’re reaching out to embody those I don’t care how many kids you contact. 

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I see on Twitter to "just wait" because "there are others still playing who have not hit the portal yet, we have to be picky, don't want to fill up too quickly" (lmao NGW). There are only 16 teams left. SURELY some of the players currently in the portal would be takes. Two teams currently playing in the tournament have already landed portal commitments. I guess getting the kids on campus is nice, definitely a step in the right direction. Does it inspire any confidence for me? Nope.

It doesn't look like they know what they are doing. If they land 2 "studs" and some nice role players, I still won't be convinced they "know what they are doing." or that it's all part of some master plan... or that talent is the only issue here (its one of many). 

Edit: sorry mods, thought this was the FMW thread. I will not pile on from here.

There are more than 16 teams left though, if you count the NIT and some of the lesser tournaments. Could be some candidates from those teams as well 

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

There are more than 16 teams left though, if you count the NIT and some of the lesser tournaments. Could be some candidates from those teams as well 

Sure, there's 6 teams in the NIT right now and the CBI tournament is wrapping up now, so that's 8 total. Probably a few more. My point still stands, and you are still pedantic as hell lol. Surprised people on your ignored users list can still quote you

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Sure, there's 6 teams in the NIT right now and the CBI tournament is wrapping up now, so that's 8 total. Probably a few more. My point still stands, and you are still pedantic as hell lol. Surprised people on your ignored users list can still quote you

Really. You just can’t respond without a dig. 

Just saying.

I’ve read a lot of strong opinions that we have to hit multiple home runs with our seven likely open spots.

I know it hasn’t happened yet, but if a five star freshman and the second team all Big Ten point guard are the first two additions? That’s pretty ******* strong.