Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He is visiting this weekend.

IF the staff has been in contact with “agents” of players before the portal opened as has been suggested then the way the staff prioritizes kids will differ from visit timelines. For example if they think they have a good shot at player X who is still playing and not in the portal yet but would be an instant impact player for us then he would have priority 1.  If we bring in a guy today that plays his position but is priority 2 or 3 for that spot I could see the staff’s pitch and NIL allocation being for a backup. 

This could go wildly wrong for the staff who may think we are getting several priority 1 guys but actually miss on those guys. Then if they try to pivot to the guys lower on the priority may find them committed elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHuddle said:

"In contact with" does not mean much, at least in my opinion. IU is going to be "in contact with" north of 50 players during this portal cycle. Some of the players they contact will have no reciprocal interest and things will not progress past the first initial text message or DM. Some of those players will tell IU what they are expecting in terms of role or NIL deal or whatever and it will not make any sense for IU and will not progress any further. Everyone is guessing, guys like Trilly and Rabjohns included, but reading between the lines on the information they have shared has me believing the following is IU's current plan:

-PG: serious pursuits right now are Tony Perkins, Sears from UT-Martin, Leland Walker from EKU (unofficial visit this coming Monday)

-Guards: Connor Hickman (visit this weekend), Ryan Conwell (has not entered yet but is going to after ISU's season ends...IU has already made him aware that he is a priority as he should be)

-Wings: Bryson Tucker (it would be very surprising if he was not at IU for the 2024-2025 season, hopefully with Mackenzie Mgbako staying as well)

-Bigs: no clue

I am hoping that there are more guys that are currently not public but that IU has traction with...really hoping. If this was it and IU successfully added Perkins, Sears, Conwell, Hickman and Tucker plus a serviceable big man that would be a very unexpected (on paper) successful portal season. I'm not expecting it but it is hypothetically possible I guess.

Assume that MgBako stays and we get Perkins and Tucker with both being promised starting roles as point guard and the shooting guard.  Why would Sears, Conwell, or Hickman come to IU?  They would be competing with Galloway, Leal, Newton and Cupps for backup minutes at the guard spots.  

48 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I think we're in a great place with him. I normally wouldn't be wishing for a kid to leave ISU, but realistically he's outta there so it might as well be to Indiana.

If I haven't been clear, I would literally die for Ryan Conwell.

In the spirit of fairness and to play devil’s advocate on myself…the freedom and spacing of ISU’s offense is an AYCE buffet of looks for Conwell. He (and the other 4 on the floor) can get just about any look they desire at any point in the clock. They regularly turn down looks that would be as open as you’d ever see an IU player for even better ones. That…has not been the case at IU. Would he be set up for success here?

Just now, Hovadipo said:

In the spirit of fairness and to play devil’s advocate on myself…the freedom and spacing of ISU’s offense is an AYCE buffet of looks for Conwell. He (and the other 4 on the floor) can get just about any look they desire at any point in the clock. They regularly turn down looks that would be as open as you’d ever see an IU player for even better ones. That…has not been the case at IU. Would he be set up for success here?

He makes and takes tough 3’s too 

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I think we're in a great place with him. I normally wouldn't be wishing for a kid to leave ISU, but realistically he's outta there so it might as well be to Indiana.

If I haven't been clear, I would literally die for Ryan Conwell.

Unfortunate.

If you literally DIED for him you’d never get to see him play for IU (or anywhere else).

8 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Assume that MgBako stays and we get Perkins and Tucker with both being promised starting roles as point guard and the shooting guard.  Why would Sears, Conwell, or Hickman come to IU?  They would be competing with Galloway, Leal, Newton and Cupps for backup minutes at the guard spots.  

Countless reasons, including, but not limited to thinking they can win that starting job, location, and money

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’s not Woodson’s job to get him shots……..

As has been pointed out,, Tucker and Perkins would be good additions, but still leaves a huge hole at outside shooting. I think it’s a pipe dream that Woodson would not start Galloway, so unless he is willing to go with one big, we will once again have a starting five that….cant shoot well. But still tons of time left, so let’s see what happens.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

There was another name on Alex Bozich's list that I missed earlier --  Javon Small (G) from Oklahoma State with 1 year remaining.

Best guard to fit IU’s needs 

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

President of the Ryan Conwell Fan Club checking in. Absolutely. He would've been our best guard this season and it wouldn't have been particularly close, not that the bar was sky high. Big, strong lefty at 6'4 195 and I'd buy a little heavier than that. Can pull up from anywhere, catch and shoot, drive, has a solid handle. Trees aren't known for locking anyone up this season, but his physicals don't give me much pause as far as guarding at this level. In the NIT he's played against 3 P6 schools (counting SMU going to the ACC next year) that featured big, long athletes and has taken over all 3 games at certain points.

The no-brainiest of all no-brainers.

Agree physically he won’t have a problem. But I expect his numbers would dip simply from the offense of Schertz vs Woodson 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Countless reasons, including, but not limited to thinking they can win that starting job, location, and money

What starting jobs?  Reneau, MgBako, Perkins, and Tucker would all be promised starting jobs.  That most likely leaves a center that will be promised a starting job.  That leaves Galloway, Leal, Newton, and Cupps as backup guards.  These players we're hoping for backup guards are going to want to play and be promised a certain number of minutes.  That's not going to happen at IU if we get Perkins and Tucker. People on this board need to get realistic on what we can get.  

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

What starting jobs?  Reneau, MgBako, Perkins, and Tucker would all be promised starting jobs.  That most likely leaves a center that will be promised a starting job.  That leaves Galloway, Leal, Newton, and Cupps as backup guards.  These players we're hoping for backup guards are going to want to play and be promised a certain number of minutes.  That's not going to happen at IU if we get Perkins and Tucker. People on this board need to get realistic on what we can get.  

This would be the worst perimeter shooting team any of us have seen in IU history. 

36 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

AJ Storr in the portal. Also declared for the draft.

Will be pretty surprised if he doesn’t stay in the draft. Imagine he’ll work out well enough to get a promise late in the 1st rd.

1 minute ago, FightFor6 said:

This would be the worst perimeter shooting team any of us have seen in IU history. 

You're correct, adding Perkins and Tucker as guaranteed starters to what we have would be a bad three-point shooting team.  I just keep reading that people think all these portal guards are willing and come and sit at IU.  We can get a starting point guard and a starting shooting guard.  The backup guard minutes will be eaten up by Galloway, Leal, Newton, and Cupps.  

7 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I know we see things the same way, so I'm not saying this in a combative way. RE: your last sentence, so true. With pretty much a blank slate roster for next year except for a few key players, not sure what exactly is realistic. I know what I expect. I know for all the talk about how talent was an issue this year... and the staff's chosen approach of waiting for the portal to build their roster... they better get as much talent as they can. Don't care how they sell these guys on it, just get them here. Let's see that NIL war chest put to good use. 

Ultimately I think we're expecting the same thing, which will be probably 2 or 3 impact players and then maybe 3 or 4 role players.