Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

11 minutes ago, JF87 said:

What starting jobs?  Reneau, MgBako, Perkins, and Tucker would all be promised starting jobs.  That most likely leaves a center that will be promised a starting job.  That leaves Galloway, Leal, Newton, and Cupps as backup guards.  These players we're hoping for backup guards are going to want to play and be promised a certain number of minutes.  That's not going to happen at IU if we get Perkins and Tucker. People on this board need to get realistic on what we can get.  

Coach Cig rule:  Nothing is promised, Everything is earned.  

19 minutes ago, JF87 said:

What starting jobs?  Reneau, MgBako, Perkins, and Tucker would all be promised starting jobs.  That most likely leaves a center that will be promised a starting job.  That leaves Galloway, Leal, Newton, and Cupps as backup guards.  These players we're hoping for backup guards are going to want to play and be promised a certain number of minutes.  That's not going to happen at IU if we get Perkins and Tucker. People on this board need to get realistic on what we can get.  

Tucker isn’t a guard.  If he’s promised a starting job and MM is back, if they are both starting then MM is the 4.  

The assumption that freshman coming in are automatically promised starting jobs is false.  TONS of high ranked players have went to Michigan State and not started and that is where Tucker was assumed to be going.  Think Booker was promised a starting position there?

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Tucker isn’t a guard.  If he’s promised a starting job and MM is back, if they are both starting then MM is the 4.  

The assumption that freshman coming in are automatically promised starting jobs is false.  TONS of high ranked players have went to Michigan State and not started and that is where Tucker was assumed to be going.  Think Booker was promised a starting position there?

This is Indiana.  Mike Woodson definitely promises starting roles to players.  

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

That's definitely not the coach Woodson rule.  :)

I’m not disputing you but asking if you really know that he makes all these “I guarantee you will start” promises.  
By your calculation, if we land those guys, Gallo is definitely on the bench and if we also land Connell he would  automatically join Gallo on the bench due to other promises ?

I really hope that is not what is happening.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You totally glossed over my first point about Tucker.  BTW, Tamar Bates was a high ranked incoming freshman at IU and he wasn’t a starter and he was here two years.

Tucker is a wing.  Most wings can play the small forward or the shooting guard role.  He's now a Hoosier.

Committed: IU basketball lands national top-20 class of 2024 5-star wing Bryson Tucker – The Daily Hoosier

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You totally glossed over my first point about Tucker.  BTW, Tamar Bates was a high ranked incoming freshman at IU and he wasn’t a starter and he was here two years.

And MR was very highly ranked but only started 3 games as a freshman. Guess he didn’t get the coveted promise.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

There have for sure been starting spots promised in the past. If Bates didn't get a promise that is his fault. Mgbako for sure did. Did Tucker, we'll find out later on. 

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

And MR was very highly ranked but only started 3 games as a freshman. Guess he didn’t get the coveted promise.

MR wasn't going to get one with TJD and Race returning as seniors his freshman year

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m not disputing you but asking if you really know that he makes all these “I guarantee you will start” promises.  
By your calculation, if we land those guys, Gallo is definitely on the bench and if we also land Connell he would  automatically join Gallo on the bench due to other promises ?

I really hope that is not what is happening.

I'm assuming Reneau will play the 4 again this year.  That means portal center, Reneau, MgBako, Tucker, and a portal point guard.  Galloway is going to play 25 minutes off the bench and will most likely play more minutes than Tucker this year.  If Connel is not the starting point guard, he's looking at 12 minutes a game.  Does anyone think Connell would come to play 12 minutes a game?  

Just now, Chris007 said:

There have for sure been starting spots promised in the past. If Bates didn't get a promise that is his fault. Mgbako for sure did. Did Tucker, we'll find out later on. 

Promises all depend on need and player.   Also very easy to tell a player what you envision their role being with it not being a lie if it doesn’t work out.   And some coaches (Self) will flat out lie about it to get guys in.  Remember in Bates’ case that he Decommitted after Shaka Smart was fired at Texas and wanted to play for an African American coach.  

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Because we had Trayce and Race.  One was an All-American and the other was a 6th year senior.  

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I'm assuming Reneau will play the 4 again this year.  That means portal center, Reneau, MgBako, Tucker, and a portal point guard.  Galloway is going to play 25 minutes off the bench and will most likely play more minutes than Tucker this year.  If Connel is not the starting point guard, he's looking at 12 minutes a game.  Does anyone think Connell would come to play 12 minutes a game?  

Conwell starts no matter what imho

35 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I know we see things the same way, so I'm not saying this in a combative way. RE: your last sentence, so true. With pretty much a blank slate roster for next year except for a few key players, not sure what exactly is realistic. I know what I expect. I know for all the talk about how talent was an issue this year... and the staff's chosen approach of waiting for the portal to build their roster... they better get as much talent as they can. Don't care how they sell these guys on it, just get them here. Let's see that NIL war chest put to good use. 

Ultimately I think we're expecting the same thing, which will be probably 2 or 3 impact players and then maybe 3 or 4 role players. 

Well luckily no one else is recruiting our targets and we have infinity money... /s

This basically sums up where I am at. 2-3 impact players would be a home run more or less. It is not enough to fix the holes due to the mismanaged roster. My guess is it ends up with one or two impact at positions we actually need, and then stacking the highest talent level we can to fill out a roster. I also see a lot of folks hoping we are waiting for some tournament teams to end. Last year we landed one person who played in the SS or beyond...Walker who had been reduced to bit minutes at Miami. On paper I am fairly confident our transfer class will be in the top-5 once ranked out by 247 and on3, but I think that will be a by-product of size. Parts being greater than the sum so to speak. But, it is fun to speculate on an absolute best case scenario combined with scheme changes. Also, watched some tape on Conwell and I have developed the same love affair as hov. Offer that kid max money the day before he declares for the portal. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

MR wasn't going to get one with TJD and Race returning as seniors his freshman year

That is what I assumed but from what I was reading I thought the implication was that we only landed high level guys by guaranteeing them a starting spot. 
I’ll admit my interpretation of the post might be incorrect.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Point is that lots of high ranked incoming freshman don’t get promises any more because it’s so easy to get a ready made player in the portal.  Ware was a top ten recruit at Oregon and didn’t start.  Nothing ever said about him being promised a starting role there.

in terms of portal players, it’s a mixed bag in terms of what they are looking for.