Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

We have to get a guy that fits our culture and style of play. An Alabama big likely does not fit our style of play, especially as a ten mpg backup -- Pringle was a featured guy for Bama -- he's not coming to be a backup. I'd prefer our Ukrainian friend who is a serious-minded 22 year old.

Pringle played 18 mins/game, Wague played 8 mins/game last year. Their minutes won't change much with the size & skills Bama has coming back (6 guys 6'9 or better). Pringle avg 8 pts/ game, Wague 3 pts/game.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Pringle played 18 mins/game, Wague played 8 mins/game last year. Their minutes won't change much with the size & skills Bama has coming back (6 guys 6'9 or better). Pringle avg 8 pts/ game, Wague 3 pts/game.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Six?! Nate Oats is hoarding all the wings lol

6 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

What a story on our Ukranian friend. Give him some serious NIL cash to send home to his mother and lets go.

Interesting parallel to Yarden Garzon and her sister with their family in Israel.  Can't begin to imagine the mental strain they must deal with.  

Mady Sissoko from MSU is still available. Big body. Decent defender.

Averaged 15 mpg last year, down from 21 the year before. Don't think limited minutes would be an issue.

Only has one year left, which fits.

Improved his free throw shooting from in the 40% range his first two years, to 70% last year.

Tons of experience in high level games. Knows the physicality of the B1G.

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Averaged 15 mpg last year, down from 21 the year before. Don't think limited minutes would be an issue.

Improved his free throw shooting from in the 40% range his first two years, to 70% last year.

Think I saw he’ll be at San Diego state a few days ago 

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Can't consider him a bad option, high level rebounder, I still prefer a better rim protector. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Season School Conf Class G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

2023-24 Monmouth CAA JR 33 32 773 6.8 13.0 .526 6.8 12.9 .528 0.0 0.1 .000 2.2 3.4 .652 13.8 1.6 0.9 1.0 1.9 3.8 15.

He started 32 of 33 games last year; his first season with an 18-15 Colonial Athletic Monmouth team. That team was 7-26 the prior year. His Monmouth coach described him:

“Nikita really fit everything we wanted to do,” Rice said. “I knew the coach who recruited him and he said he could really, really play, and he got hurt last season. He’s a really good passer, and he can score on the block. He’s just not the most athletic dude vertically, but everything else he can really do.”

His per 40 minutes for last year are shown above. Rebounding, fouls committed, and assists per 40 are  good; everything else is decent and with no category that looks terrible. Seems like a full-size big who would be fine with limited minutes. This is the type of player that we're looking at to fill out the roster (assuming Goode commits). Appears that he would be a solid pickup. Two years left to play.

More importantly? He's a grown-@$$ man who clearly has some serious real-world challenges. 22 year old graduate student with international hoops experience, a perfect gpa, and whose family is in Kyiv:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2023/10/12/monmouth-basketball-ukraine-nikita-konstantynovskyi-war/71110572007/

Maybe Walsh following him is a tell. Watching this little bit he shows a big body, physicality, ok post footwork and finishing with both hands. But, man, watch his lateral movement and tell me who he defends. Would like to see some games to see how exploitable he was. I’m with Btownqb in wanting a defensive presence at the rim and he doesn’t look like that at all. But a physical, skilled, experienced big who understands his role would always find a way to help. If this turns out to be the kid they want there’s logic to it.

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

Maybe Walsh following him is a tell. Watching this little bit he shows a big body, physicality, ok post footwork and finishing with both hands. But, man, watch his lateral movement and tell me who he defends. Would like to see some games to see how exploitable he was. I’m with Btownqb in wanting a defensive presence at the rim and he doesn’t look like that at all. But a physical, skilled, experienced big who understands his role would always find a way to help. If this turns out to be the kid they want there’s logic to it.

I will say... 

Rice/Gallo/Cupps

KC/Leal/Newton

MM/Tucker

MR/Goode

Ballo/.... 

I'd go (big guy, big guy) to round out this roster if you do in fact get Goode. Leal, Newton, Cupps are non-rotational guards/perimeter guys is more than enough. 

Maybe you go with this kid, who does have some skill, and then get a defensive 5, too. I'm probably pro- that route. 

More importantly? He's a grown-@$$ man who clearly has some serious real-world challenges. 22 year old graduate student with international hoops experience, a perfect gpa, and whose family is in Kyiv:

Crazy how we get upset over games and here he is overcoming real issues in life.

This is why I do all my yelling during the game. Once it's over, it's over. I don't dwell on it. Too many more important issues

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Season School Conf Class G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

2023-24 Monmouth CAA JR 33 32 773 6.8 13.0 .526 6.8 12.9 .528 0.0 0.1 .000 2.2 3.4 .652 13.8 1.6 0.9 1.0 1.9 3.8 15.

He started 32 of 33 games last year; his first season with an 18-15 Colonial Athletic Monmouth team. That team was 7-26 the prior year. His Monmouth coach described him:

“Nikita really fit everything we wanted to do,” Rice said. “I knew the coach who recruited him and he said he could really, really play, and he got hurt last season. He’s a really good passer, and he can score on the block. He’s just not the most athletic dude vertically, but everything else he can really do.”

His per 40 minutes for last year are shown above. Rebounding, fouls committed, and assists per 40 are  good; everything else is decent and with no category that looks terrible. Seems like a full-size big who would be fine with limited minutes. This is the type of player that we're looking at to fill out the roster (assuming Goode commits). Appears that he would be a solid pickup. Two years left to play.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2023/10/12/monmouth-basketball-ukraine-nikita-konstantynovskyi-war/71110572007/

From that article it sounds like he'd probably be able raise a decent amount of $ to help his family. On top of his initial NIL amount at IU. Might be a perfect match tbh.

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

Perfect for what we need. Kid busts his a$$

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I will say... 

Rice/Gallo/Cupps

KC/Leal/Newton

MM/Tucker

MR/Goode

Ballo/.... 

I'd go (big guy, big guy) to round out this roster if you do in fact get Goode. Leal, Newton, Cupps are non-rotational guards/perimeter guys is more than enough. 

Maybe you go with this kid, who does have some skill, and then get a defensive 5, too. I'm probably pro- that route. 

His usage of the pump fake is spectacular!

Posted (edited)

Jared Coleman-Jones from Middle Tennessee had a nice year.  He would check a couple boxes if he could be incentivized to accept a reserve position.  He has good size, decent range (44% on 3s with limited usage) and he hits his free throws.  There is some versatility to his offensive game and with help from Cliff might be able to steal minutes at the 4.  He played his freshman year at Northwestern with Miller Kopp and played high school ball a half hour from Atlanta, so Ya might have some familiarity with him.

Edited by Blue 2 Green