Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Ballo visiting Arkansas 

If nothing else I’m sure Cal feels he can out-recruit IU for any player he wants.

Didn’t Ivisic already commit to follow Cal to Arkansas?

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Trying to set my bias aside, going from Conwell (and Hickman) to Essegian for that spot would be insanely depressing. There will be/are much better players in the portal than that.

Conwell was my favorite player in the portal but it unfortunately seems like the writing is on the wall.

Still, I don't get why we wouldn't be happy with Essegian, he still averaged 11 Pts/game as a freshman at the power five level, we could do a lot worse with a bench shooter. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Trying to set my bias aside, going from Conwell (and Hickman) to Essegian for that spot would be insanely depressing. There will be/are much better players in the portal than that.

That spot hasn’t getting a Hickman or Conwell because it isn’t much of a spot. It’s probably not getting a player like Essigian either. Do the math on the minutes. Most guys know Galloway is going to the bench but even projecting him at 20mpg is iffy. He’s played 28 and 33mpg the last two seasons, I’m sure he’s not expecting to go to 15 all of a sudden off the bench. 

Will have to be the backup 1 & 2 just to get to 20mpg off the bench, so long as we’re playing 2 bigs.

yeah Arkansas is one that’ll outbid us imo. 
I am sure calipari had unlimited money so I guess we will see how much the iu boosters are willing to cough up

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

So the Arkansas news is interesting. And concerning -- at least to me. 

They have big bucks with Tyson chicken, and Cal is a slick salesman. 

He joked that he had no team. If anybody can conjure up a team out of thin air, it's that dude. 

12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

And yet those are most likely players that don’t want to play a role and come off the bench.  Essegian might though 

12 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

If nothing else I’m sure Cal feels he can out-recruit IU for any player he wants.

Didn’t Ivisic already commit to follow Cal to Arkansas?

If you call it out recruiting us with more money 

9 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That spot hasn’t getting a Hickman or Conwell because it isn’t much of a spot. It’s probably not getting a player like Essigian either. Do the math on the minutes. Most guys know Galloway is going to the bench but even projecting him at 20mpg is iffy. He’s played 28 and 33mpg the last two seasons, I’m sure he’s not expecting to go to 15 all of a sudden off the bench. 

Will have to be the backup 1 & 2 just to get to 20mpg off the bench, so long as we’re playing 2 bigs.

That's fair. Is it crazy to think the staff isn't ruling out recruiting over Galloway though? I wouldn't be against it. *ducks*

They're still contacting guys in what I believe to be the Conwell/Hickman tier, so either they're clueless (possible!) or they're not worried about hurting feelings right?

30 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

nothing official with IU at this point? for me he’d be at least as big a “get” as Ballo (or Carlyle for that matter)

Supposedly we have spoken to him and told him how much interest we have but like Hickman I don't think he is interested in coming off the bench. 

19 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Conwell was my favorite player in the portal but it unfortunately seems like the writing is on the wall.

Still, I don't get why we wouldn't be happy with Essegian, he still averaged 11 Pts/game as a freshman at the power five level, we could do a lot worse with a bench shooter. 

He was mine too. But we promised the job to Carlyle. You're not going to get one of these mid-major guys who have started at their schools to come to IU and come off the bench. They have to much interest already

34 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Seems like Conwell isn't happening

I'd really like to see us pivot to targeting Essegian for that 3rd guard spot. 

That guy couldn’t see the floor at Wisconsin.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

True.

But I also wouldn’t blame us for signing Williams or Payne while Ballo takes his other visits.

That would be my approach, I wouldn't slow walk anyone or hold out. He has other options, so does IU. Take the best player you can get to commit. I wll be pleased with Williams or Payne.