Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah, I could have worded my post better. I don't mind casting a wide net, but the fact they don't have a good track record of evaluating talent makes me think they don't actually know what they want/are looking for. Just someone rated highly who will say yes, because they trust their ability to put players in the best position to win. That's how the approach feels to me. 

I feel the exact same way.  They seem all over the place in the way they are recruiting and the problem is, and not trying to pile on from what should be in the FMW thread, that MW doesn’t have a real college basketball system he recruits to and that makes it difficult to know what players will and could work in his program.  He just goes after the highest talent and then let the chips fall where they may.  The most talented players, specifically guards, don’t want to play for MW regardless on how much money MW throws at them.  They want to play on a team that has a chance to win a conference, make the tournament and potentially a deep run, by getting over half a roster, IU can’t guarantee that.

Tre White from Louisville just entered the portal (again).  I know IU had some interest in him last year when he transferred from USC.  

6'7"

12.3 PPG

29.9% 3PT 

12 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sounds like Kansas is going to recruit Hickman according to Rabjohns 

IU needs to make him commit on the visit. Make him an offer that he won't turn down. Also just show him what Self did with Timberlake and make him question whether to trust Self. 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Alex Bozich's morning update list of players IU has been in contact with includes Connor Essegian, Jalen Blackmon & Otega Oweh (Oklahoma).

Well, that’s a pretty underwhelming bunch. Oweh has a lot of Justin Smith about him in that he’s a spectacular athlete who mitigates it by being a slow mental processor. I’m sure he’ll have a great list because coaches always think they can scheme over that and they’re almost always wrong.  Blackmon and Essegian couldn’t defend 1 decent scorer if they were allowed to double team the kid.

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Alex Bozich's morning update list of players IU has been in contact with includes Connor Essegian, Jalen Blackmon & Otega Oweh (Oklahoma).

What does “in contact” mean?  Seems like they are talking the Muss approach and telling every dude “we’re interested.”  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What does “in contact” mean?  Seems like they are talking the Muss approach and telling every dude “we’re interested.”  

Possibilities are many but IMO it's just an initial feeler to determine if there's any mutual interest and a reason to continue discussion.   The names on the first post in this thread are in chronological order so the fact we've not had any further information about several of those early names suggests to me there was no mutual interest.

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If Perkins were to land at IU, hopefully the staff turns their attention to guards and wings that are spot up shooters.  Perkins is a quality player — great defender, can drive and has handles — but shooting is still a need.  

Well... Conner Hickman was a priority before Perkins..