Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm just saying why we are adding that kind of talent. We aren't getting much more to commit to play 7 minutes a game and be cool with it. Sparks this past season averaged 7 minutes in 13 conference games. He completely sat in 7. Pretty much what we are looking for out of basically the 3rd string center behind Ballo and Reneau. He's a body really. He probably has better hands and footwork than Sparks and a better shooter. Probably not the same motor but it's a least an even considering the role he's taking over. I'm going to trust a lot of people with the ball before I ever trusted Sparks(which was terrifying).

I realize that. I prefer a different skill set, but if this is literally all we could add, meaning we turned over every stone, I understand it. 

Hatton's rebounding numbers were pretty solid. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He just isn't athletic, he isn't overly long. Those were the two attributes I preferred the most. 

He’s 6’10”.

People define athleticism differently. He’s not a pogo stick player but the foot speed is fine and he’s a decent rebounder.

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm just saying why we are adding that kind of talent. We aren't getting much more to commit to play 7 minutes a game and be cool with it. Sparks this past season averaged 7 minutes in 13 conference games. He completely sat in 7. Pretty much what we are looking for out of basically the 3rd string center behind Ballo and Reneau. He's a body really. He probably has better hands and footwork than Sparks and a better shooter. Probably not the same motor but it's a least an even considering the role he's taking over. I'm going to trust a lot of people with the ball before I ever trusted Sparks(which was terrifying).

If Sparks could even hit a free throw he might have seen the court more.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He’s 6’10”.

People define athleticism differently. He’s not a pogo stick player but the foot speed is fine and he’s a decent rebounder.

For sure a decent rebounder. Again, I just preferred a different skillset and a more athletic player. I understand he's 6'10, that doesn't make him long, though. 

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He’s 6’10”.

Yep, I'm more interested in his defense & rebounding anyway. Of course, I'd love to have a solid offensive post option off the bench, but what is a necessity is a competent back-up big that won't get torched when your main guy is out of the game. If Hatton isn't that guy, then keep looking, but I'm not too finicky. 

57 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

This add will take Spark's minutes and some of Walker's

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess I’d warm up to it. Mediocre seeming center on a bad team. We can’t really expect him to be anything more than a stopgap. I don’t trust his defense to translate. Ballo staying healthy will be supremely important for this teams success. Or Reneau being the 5, in inferred case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Better than an open scholarship.

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Maybe more of a Bielfeldt than a Tom Pritchard.

MB was the Big Ten 6th POY.   Played in 35 games and helped IU win the Big Ten regular season.  He got 15 points on 3-of-5 shooting from the 3-point line against North Carolina in the regional semifinal of the NCAA Tournament. 

Now that would be out-freaking standing.  Make it so.

1 hour ago, J34 said:

If all this guy would bring, is to keep teams honest at the arc, and set good screens, it will open the floor for our dynamic guards/wings to get downhill easier. At this spot on the roster, I would take him in a heartbeat.

BK utilized a good screen setter and won.  I believe it was called Sloan Screen 45 or something like that.  If this guy can set good screens, rebound, guard his man on D, and score a few points and that is the minimum he should do.  Anything else over that will be a freaking bonus, IMO.  It is up to MW to put capable scorers on the floor with him to offset his lack of possible scoring punch.  

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

MB was the Big Ten 6th POY.   Played in 35 games and helped IU win the Big Ten regular season.  He got 15 points on 3-of-5 shooting from the 3-point line against North Carolina in the regional semifinal of the NCAA Tournament. 

Now that would be out-freaking standing.  Make it so.

I don't think he's going to be that good or even that integral to the success of the team. But he definitely seems to play closer to that style.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He likely won't get any of Walkers minutes because all of those minutes will get ate up my Reneau and Mgbako.

Walker did get some minutes alongside Reneau where Walker really played the 5.  Walker played 31 minutes against Illinois (Sparks played 2) and 29 minutes against Kennesaw State when Ware was out.  Point is, Walker did play minutes at the 5.

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Walker did get some minutes alongside Reneau where Walker really played the 5.  Walker played 31 minutes against Illinois (Sparks played 2) and 29 minutes against Kennesaw State when Ware was out.  Point is, Walker did play minutes at the 5.

I wouldn't consider 60 minutes of a season to be noteworthy. Walker playing quite a few minutes in some games, but he was brought in for that role. Hatton isn't being brought in to play those kinds of minutes, unless there is an injury or foul trouble.