Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

If this Hemenway rumor is correct, I am happy for him and his family.  He's battled the injury bug pretty much throughout his college career. He'll contribute in the locker room for sure. Also willing to bet Calbert Cheney might have a lot to do with making this happen. (Cheney was teammates with Celmson's HC during their high school days.)  I believe he's like Goode who always wanted to be at IUBB. I watched him play a lot in high school.  He was teammates with Jack Nundge during his sophomore year at Castle. They were a lot of fun to watch. I think he played against Leal a couple of times as well.  Good kid. Really happy for him. 

25 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

If this Hemingway rumor is correct, I am happy for him and his family.  He's battled the injury bug pretty much throughout his college career. He'll contribute in the locker room for sure. Also willing to bet Calbert Cheney might have a lot to do with making this happen. (Cheney was teammates with Celmson's HC during their high school days.)  I believe he's like Goode who always wanted to be at IUBB. I watched him play a lot in high school.  He was teammates with Jack Nundge during his sophomore year at Castle. They were a lot of fun to watch. I think he played against Leal a couple of times as well.  Good kid. Really happy for him. 

He is visiting  Vandy soon and has an In home visit with Maryland and setting up visits to IU and Rutgers according to Rabjohns 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If NK signs, IU now has at least 3 players that can play the 5.  Do we really need a fourth string center more than someone who is a career 43% shooter from deep?

Meh. I'd rather have someone who can defend the post and rebound in that spot, but I won't cry about more shooting. 

Just better hope we don't have any injuries up front. I don't love Malik sliding over to the 5 only backed up by NK and then sliding Mgbako and Goode over to the 4 on an extended basis if there are injuries. Foul trouble can make things dicey too. 

It would give me more peace of mind knowing we have depth in the front court, that's all. For as much run as Hemenway is likely to get, I feel like we've more likely already got players on the roster who can hit 3s when we need them to than we have players who can defend in the post and rebound for a good amount of time in any given game. 

26 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He is visiting  Vandy soon and has an In home visit with Maryland and setting up visits to IU and Rutgers according to Rabjohns 

If I were a betting man, he's either going to Vandy or IU.  I could be wrong but I'm still willing to bet it.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Meh. I'd rather have someone who can defend the post and rebound in that spot, but I won't cry about more shooting. 

Just better hope we don't have any injuries up front. I don't love Malik sliding over to the 5 only backed up by NK and then sliding Mgbako and Goode over to the 4 on an extended basis if there are injuries. Foul trouble can make things dicey too. 

It would give me more peace of mind knowing we have depth in the front court, that's all. For as much run as Hemenway is likely to get, I feel like we've more likely already got players on the roster who can hit 3s when we need them to than we have players who can defend in the post and rebound for a good amount of time in any given game. 

You’re worried about sliding a guy to the 4 who was 6’8” 217lbs as a Freshman? He shouldn’t be “sliding” there, he should be playing there by default.

Everyone but our coach seems to know he’s a PF.

IMG_8261.png

Edited by Juwan Moye

2 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

You’re worried about sliding a guy to the 4 who was 6’8” 217lbs as a Freshman? He shouldn’t be “sliding” there, he should be playing there by default.

IMG_8261.png

Didn't say I was "worried" I said I don't love it. You're good running with just NK and Reneau at the 5 if Ballo gets injured and spends 6-8 weeks in the walking boot of doom?

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Didn't say I was "worried" I said I don't love it. You're good running with just NK and Reneau at the 5 if Ballo gets injured and spends 6-8 weeks in the walking boot of doom?

Yes. I could say the same thing a number of our players.

Id MUCH rather have Malik play the 5 than some random guy we could get from the portal who is willing to come in as a third stringer. We’re not getting top tier talent for that spot, just a body.

Just now, Juwan Moye said:

Id MUCH rather have Malik play the 5 than some random guy we could get from the portal who is willing to come in as a third stringer. We’re not getting top tier talent for that spot, just a body.

Okay, agree to disagree I guess. Ballo gets injured, Reneau playing significant time at the 5 = foul trouble galore and we are running out with NK and Mgbako as our 4 and 5. Good luck winning many games relying on them for defense down low in key moments. I'd prefer it being more balanced/more options in the front court... not going to be mad about Hemenway though if he comes here. 

2 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

And that’s about as good as we will get at this point.  NK is probably better than Sparks.  I would like to see us go after a big that just finished his freshman year at a P5 school but played a backup role and willing to come to IU to play the same role but take a chance that Woodson will develop him and get him to the NBA or get to play cause people keep talking about injuries and putting a jinx on this team, but we know that isn’t going to happen.

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

Okay, agree to disagree I guess. Ballo gets injured, Reneau playing significant time at the 5 = foul trouble galore and we are running out with NK and Mgbako as our 4 and 5. Good luck winning many games relying on them for defense down low in key moments. I'd prefer it being more balanced/more options in the front court... not going to be mad about Hemenway though if he comes here. 

I’m confused as to what caliber of player you think we’d be able to get in here for that role.

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Please, enough with the injury talk.  Not a wonder we have so many injuries, Home Jersey is a big jinx,  lol

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

And that’s about as good as we will get at this point.  NK is probably better than Sparks.  I would like to see us go after a big that just finished his freshman year at a P5 school but played a backup role and willing to come to IU to play the same role but take a chance that Woodson will develop him and get him to the NBA or get to play cause people keep talking about injuries and putting a jinx on this team, but we know that isn’t going to happen.

Yeah, bringing in an NK type makes sense. But bringing in a guy who is likely even worse than NK, to sit at the end of the bench just in case of injury, could be fine I guess but is far from important.

In that scenario I’d have to think we’re better with Malik at the 5 and then trying to hide his weaknesses, probably by playing some zone, or by ensuring the guys manning the 3 and 4 are better defending and rebounding options.

Onyenso from UK would be another intriguing back-up! Not sure if that is what these guys want, but if they could wait one year to be "the guy", this would be the place to be!

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

The option to back up the back up aren't going to be guys that you can trust to do a whole lot.  Rather go small than count on a guy fourth on the depth chart at center.

29 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Onyenso from UK would be another intriguing back-up! Not sure if that is what these guys want, but if they could wait one year to be "the guy", this would be the place to be!

He played 19 minutes per game last year on a top 20 team.  Really doubt he is looking for a smaller role.

1 hour ago, Juwan Moye said:

IMG_8261.png

One of the selling points for MM coming to IU was that he would be playing the 3.  Coaches make those decisions all of the time, whether it is worth playing a guy for a certain amount of time or at a certain position is worth losing them over.  I have to say that if MM weren't here last year, the amount that our perimeter shooting hurt was would have soooooooo much worse than it was.