Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Your post has nothing to do with the Portal but I would love for you to explain how so?

Has quite literally everything to do with the portal. BTW I'm eating crow if I'm wrong here right now, or eating crow for throwing dirt on Mike Woodson's name for 3 months. Sorry if initial post wasn't up to the standard, was rushed and still am with work so will explain within next few hours. I have seen much more egregious examples of not pertaining to the thread in a post though. 

Rice, Hickman/Carlyle, Tucker, Ballo, NAIA C + more

Seems like the $ is talking loud

On 4/10/2024 at 10:20 AM, Alford Bailey said:

This goes all the way back to Crean. None of these guys who transfer out become stars. Blame the staff for recruiting them but you can squeeze blood from a turnip. Banks and Gunn (along with numerous others over the years) just aren’t very good players at this level.

This has something to do with Transfer portal W IU Interest? Should I direct you to another thread as well, certainly @Chris007 set you straight. 

Just now, realTomCrean said:

This has something to do with Transfer portal W IU Interest? Should I direct you to another thread as well, certainly @Chris007 set you straight. 

Thats old news and all the arguing was done yesterday ... enough already.

Rice shot 27% from 3pt last year and avg 3.8 assists vs 2.6 TO....so that's actually worse than a healthy Xavier Johnson. We would be better off letting Gallo be point and getting in some actual shooters rather than a so-so point who can't shoot very well. IMO. 

14 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Has quite literally everything to do with the portal. BTW I'm eating crow if I'm wrong here right now, or eating crow for throwing dirt on Mike Woodson's name for 3 months. Sorry if initial post wasn't up to the standard, was rushed and still am with work so will explain within next few hours. I have seen much more egregious examples of not pertaining to the thread in a post though. 

He has to win a game against a real team before I even get off my couch to turn on the oven.

Also, I think we are going to land some of these dudes for sure, but don't you think we should land at least one before we start saying how great we are doing in the portal?

15 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

At the risk of losing my #TrueFanClub™ member card that I just received...

Rice, ONE of Hickman OR Carlyle, Tucker, Ballo, NAIA C ... would not be something I am overly excited about. Hickman AND Carlyle, okay... we're getting somewhere in that case, kinda sorta, I guess. Maybe I'm flat out unrealistic about things (granted I've not followed the portal as closely this year) but I'd get probably most excited about: 

• Rice
  • Conwell
  • Hickman
  • Ballo OR Amari Williams 
  • Elijah Malone (NAIA C)
  • A tall 3/4 who can step outside and shoot... I like Humichrous' shooting stroke but A) sounds like he doesn't want a bench role B) don't think he's a must get by any means... 

Obviously the odds we land all those guys is basically 0 IMO. But that is what it would take to get me "excited" right now. 

I don't count Tucker in this list because he's not a portal get. I suppose the group you listed would be the most realistic that we could feasibly afford/offer minutes to, and it would be a good haul. With visits set up we hopefully have a punchers chance to land at least a few of these guys before moving onto 2nd and 3rd tier prospects on the staffs preferred list. 

2 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Rice shot 27% from 3pt last year and avg 3.8 assists vs 2.6 TO....so that's actually worse than a healthy Xavier Johnson. We would be better off letting Gallo be point and getting in some actual shooters rather than a so-so point who can't shoot very well. IMO. 

That was my inital thought too. Some responded that he's more than the sum of his stats. Was Pac12 Freshman of the year, so there is that. 

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

That was my inital thought too. Some responded that he's more than the sum of his stats. Was Pac12 Freshman of the year, so there is that. 

Rice put up very similar stats to JHS in his only year at IU(don't recall where I saw the side by side comparison of the two kids).  Rice was worse for his 3pt shooting though between the two.  If Rice puts up the same numbers or slightly better and ups his 3pt % to say 35%ish it is fair to say he may only be in Indiana for one year depending how the season go.