Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

realTomCrean

IUBB vs Penn St - Thursday, 03.14.24 @ 9PM on BTN

While I’m all for the win maybe we should do as told and  chill a little bit.  We won by 2 on a last second tip in.  Penn State missed how many layups?  Couldn’t buy one in the first half.  Also underperformed on their threes.  Tired legs having played the night before?  Buzzsaw may be in our future.  

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Well… since Woody said not having X was a huge problem and since X’s return we’ve won five straight games?

Woody’s take doesn’t seem so much like an excuse. It seems more like an accurate explanation.

The disingenuous part is that we had X for the first 6 games of the season, and we were terrible. We initially got better after his first injury - the first two games without him were a blowout over Maryland, and a road win at Michigan (a quad 1 or 2 win at the time).

Then he came back and we still stunk... he got hurt again and we continued to stink.

I am happy we are playing well over the last 5. X has been part of it - his defense helps, and he was very good in the comeback vs Maryland. The other four games, he has a total of 14 points, 15 assists,  and 16 turnovers. Let's just be honest about his impact.

29 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

While I’m all for the win maybe we should do as told and  chill a little bit.  We won by 2 on a last second tip in.  Penn State missed how many layups?  Couldn’t buy one in the first half.  Also underperformed on their threes.  Tired legs having played the night before?  Buzzsaw may be in our future.  

Though it was a somewhat ugly game, IU definitely wanted it more. I credit IU's upgraded defensive play as well as X relaxing a bit. Remember, both losses to Penn St. were brutal, and no X. The first loss at home was by 14 and we gave up 12 3's, the second one at Penn St. was by 9 and we gave up 9 3's. 

You have to admit, there is something to this 5 game win streak. The real test will be tonight vs. the Huskers. We will see how well our defense has improved if we can slow down and limit Tominaga. I just hope we get enough rest.

3 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Though it was a somewhat ugly game, IU definitely wanted it more. I credit IU's upgraded defensive play as well as X relaxing a bit. Remember, both losses to Penn St. were brutal, and no X. The first loss at home was by 14 and we gave up 12 3's, the second one at Penn St. was by 9 and we gave up 9 3's. 

You have to admit, there is something to this 5 game win streak. The real test will be tonight vs. the Huskers. We will see how well our defense has improved if we can slow down and limit Tominaga. I just hope we get enough rest.

I agree.  Does not dismiss concerns about the long term trajectory of the program but 5 wins in a row with the 2 at home vs Wis and MSU is still something to take notice of.  We also seem to move the ball a little better and have been looking for the 3 a little more.

18 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

I’ll give Woody some credit and say he’s seemed to get us on a mini roll at the end of the season every year. It was barely enough year 1. Looks like it won’t be enough this year, unfortunately.

Cbbanalytics on/off court comparisons have shown that the players most valuable for IU being on the court are Galloway, Ware, and Mgbako and Reneau (in that order) but there really isn't much difference between the top 3 and Reneau's on court compared to off court is very valuable as well.  Leal, Cupps, and X have all had about the same on v off court value -- IU's offense has actually been most efficient when Cupps is on the floor (maybe because he doesn't turn it over much) but defensively IU is better with X or Leal on the court.

The important part has been to keep Gunn off the floor.  Not only has the offense been the least efficient when he is on the floor, the defense has as well.

9 hours ago, JF87 said:

The sad thing is that it took the staff half the year to realize the value of Leal's experience and understanding of the rotations.  He's a good player to bring in off the bench.  Who knows what our ratings would be if Leal had played more earlier in the year.  

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

The difference is Ware.  They pulled him off the block.  We are not hearing him and Malik talking about “buddy ball” anymore.  It’s much more open now and Ware has that little fade away working.  

The first two PSU games they over performed on their threes, something like 40%.   This game they underperformed, less than 30%.  Season average was mid 30s.  

23 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’ll give Woody some credit and say he’s seemed to get us on a mini roll at the end of the season every year. It was barely enough year 1. Looks like it won’t be enough this year, unfortunately.

Maybe next year he’ll start game 1.  

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Cbbanalytics on/off court comparisons have shown that the players most valuable for IU being on the court are Galloway, Ware, and Mgbako and Reneau (in that order) but there really isn't much difference between the top 3 and Reneau's on court compared to off court is very valuable as well.  Leal, Cupps, and X have all had about the same on v off court value -- IU's offense has actually been most efficient when Cupps is on the floor (maybe because he doesn't turn it over much) but defensively IU is better with X or Leal on the court.

The important part has been to keep Gunn off the floor.  Not only has the offense been the least efficient when he is on the floor, the defense has as well.

You nailed it.  I was looking thru the box scores last week and noticed the same thing.  The winning is not that X is back so much it is that Leal/Cupps/X are sharing minutes without Gunn.  No offense to Gunn, not trying to crap on him, but the stats are speaking for themselves. 

That is what drives me nuts about this year.  They could have easily been in the tourney, if Coach played the ball-players and not the athletes.

Just an Old Fart's ramblings.

If you've never taken the time to read through an entire game thread after the game is over you really should especially a game like last night.  Emotional roller coaster --  despair, madness, sadness, elation.

Leal certainly has his warts but every kid should be able to experience hitting the game winner.  And for the 24 min. he played, he had the highest +/- at +10.  Next best was Sparks and Walker  both +4 who played a combined 11 min.  

@Loaded Chicken Sandwich glad to know you and your family are OK after last night.

Rabby spoke with Sparks briefly after the game and Sparks had just finished talking by phone with his parents.  They're OK but did have some stuff blow into their house.  Didn't sound like any major damage.  Several others on here have family/friends in the WInchester area and I hope they're all OK as well.  Reports this morning indicate this was a serious storm with lots of injuries; dozen people hospitalized and 4 unconfirmed deaths. 

Finally, for your morning enjoyment.

image.png

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

The disingenuous part is that we had X for the first 6 games of the season, and we were terrible. We initially got better after his first injury - the first two games without him were a blowout over Maryland, and a road win at Michigan (a quad 1 or 2 win at the time).

Then he came back and we still stunk... he got hurt again and we continued to stink.

I am happy we are playing well over the last 5. X has been part of it - his defense helps, and he was very good in the comeback vs Maryland. The other four games, he has a total of 14 points, 15 assists,  and 16 turnovers. Let's just be honest about his impact.

In conference games we are now 11-10.

1-6 without Xavier Johnson, 10-4 with him.

While correlation is not causation, that seems like a pretty convincing correlation.