Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

All correct. And it will fall on deaf ears. The VOLUME of 3 point shots is the problem, and it has never mattered who we had to shoot, it's Woodson's offensive scheme to play through the post (but I don't know what play through the post means....). What I am very much hoping for is to see that change this season -- there will be no excuse if it doesn't. And really, if Woodson has us shooting next season I'll be at the front of the line applauding him. Let's go Woodson, bring the modern offense, you've got the players.

We will play through the post plenty next year and the 3 point volume will increase by simply having legit 3 level scorers in the back court. Nearly every team in college basketball “plays through the post” to one degree or another. It doesn’t mean what you think it means.

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

We will play through the post plenty next year and the 3 point volume will increase by simply having legit 3 level scorers in the back court. Nearly every team in college basketball “plays through the post” to one degree or another. It doesn’t mean what you think it means.

"Good Lord" you ignore everything and repeat the same BS. It's a tired act man, I understand you're a Woodson apologist, I get it. Later.

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

"Good Lord" you ignore everything and repeat the same BS. It's a tired act man, I understand you're a Woodson apologist, I get it. Later.

Promise? You said the same thing yesterday.

12 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Ya think? 1145 pages and counting of the same regurgitated drivel.

And I bet if things don’t improve this year, I predict over 2000 pages by the end of December.  

And it’s been both sides, not just one!  And you have participated in that too, you aren’t innocent!

15 hours ago, go iu bb said:

He has his chance since he didn't get fired. You seem to be trying to tell people they are wrong to be skeptical of his coaching. You're not going to change the minds of anyone with your excuses. The team next year will either convince people or not, but you won't no matter how much you defend Woodson.

Also, it's not just last year. Even his first two seasons, while better than Miler (not hard), didn't exactly build confidence that he could do the job well. So this isn't just 1 bad year and people turned on him. This is people unconvinced through 2 years then last year. To add to the disaster that was last year, he repeatedly refused to take any blame for it, always blaming others and often throwing the players under the bus.

You like to make it seem that last year was the 1st year that there were complaints about the offense and not taking enough 3-point shots. That has been consistent under Woodson. In '22-'23, they were 48th in 3-point percentage but 341st (!) in attempts. Should they have been taking more 3-pointers that year? Absolutely. You like to point out Purdue and their shooting. They had Edey which tremendously helped their outside shooting. IU had TJD which had a similar effect. They were able to shoot well despite Woodson's scheme, not because of it. ("It's not my job to get him shots.") This showed last year. So not only did he not get better guards, he didn't adjust his scheme to compensate for the ones he had.

100%

Apologist(s) saying "who do you want shooting more 3s last year?" is deflecting the offensive concerns from all 3 years.

image.thumb.png.1cfb996cb9f2002a4df91ceaee59d703.png

443 in 3P rate over his career. 

Something to ponder - was last year the only year Woodson met expectations? He certainly did not in year 2 and the case can be made he did not in year 1 (forgotten by many since it was celebrated we made the tournament after the Crean/Miller drought).

44 minutes ago, cybergates said:

100%

Apologist(s) saying "who do you want shooting more 3s last year?" is deflecting the offensive concerns from all 3 years.

443 in 3P rate over his career. 

Something to ponder - was last year the only year Woodson met expectations? He certainly did not in year 2 and the case can be made he did not in year 1 (forgotten by many since it was celebrated we made the tournament after the Crean/Miller drought).

IMO, all 3 years his teams have played at a level which is less than the sum of their parts. They just seemed like better years than they were because Miller was his opening act and after him it's not hard to look good.

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

100%

443 in 3P rate over his career.  Trib

For all the excuses as to who could be relied on to shoot the three, IU was just slightly below the national average,  a bit more than a single percentage point off the mean  (1.6% below the median), yet they were last of any major conference team in attempt rate and damn near last in the whole of the NCAA.  This visual is alarming: major schools and then IU isolated.

image.thumb.png.849d38ac91b7e240473e68f6fb70c33b.pngimage.thumb.png.c8173ebaf7895dc9dabac57f0519a9cb.png

45 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

For all the excuses as to who could be relied on to shoot the three, IU was just slightly below the national average,  a bit more than a single percentage point off the mean  (1.6% below the median), yet they were last of any major conference team in attempt rate and damn near last in the whole of the NCAA.  This visual is alarming: major schools and then IU isolated.

image.thumb.png.849d38ac91b7e240473e68f6fb70c33b.pngimage.thumb.png.c8173ebaf7895dc9dabac57f0519a9cb.png

Low efficiency on low volume, could only imagine how bad the numbers would have looked on more volume. 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Question:

Would you rather be medium efficiency, low volume threes, or low efficiency, medium volume?

Medium efficiency, low volume unless you can rebound the hell out of the basketball. Ideally you’re high efficiency/medium volume or medium efficiency/high volume. If you’re neither, stick to what you’re good at. Shooting “3’s because they’re worth more than 2’s” for the hell of it isn’t an offensive strategy no matter how many times you read Analytics 101 for Dummies.

Medium efficiency, low volume unless you can rebound the hell out of the basketball. Ideally you’re high efficiency/medium volume or medium efficiency/high volume. If you’re neither, stick to what you’re good at. Shooting “3’s because they’re worth more than 2’s” for the hell of it isn’t an offensive strategy no matter how many times you read Analytics 101 for Dummies.

Fielding a team that can’t shoot 3’s worth a lick in the modern basketball era is/was a fireable offense. Absolutely zero reason not to see this coming. I did.

You can’t continually ignore this all goes back to Woodson choosing to rock with this roster. Train the roster. Scheme this roster.

And even still basketball analytics might have something to say about still shooting more 3’s if YOUR biggest frontcourt in the conference could dominate the boards like they were recruited to do.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Fielding a team that can’t shoot 3’s worth a lick in the modern basketball era is/was a fireable offense. Absolutely zero reason not to see this coming. I did.

You can’t continually ignore this all goes back to Woodson choosing to rock with this roster. Train the roster. Scheme this roster.

And even still basketball analytics might have something to say about still shooting more 3’s if YOUR biggest frontcourt in the conference could dominate the boards like they were recruited to do.

For the umpteenth time, Woodson failed constructing the roster. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Good point. For how big his teams have been, Woodson hasn't been able to get them to rebound very well. Thanks for pointing that out.

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

For the umpteenth time, Woodson failed constructing the roster. 

For the umpteenth time, you're still in the Fire Mike Woodson thread! I'm okay with giving him another year (deserved or not), because we don't a choice. But isn't it okay for people to still want him fired? Roster construction is just one issue, of many. All the questions will be answered from November-March.

For the umpteenth time, you're still in the Fire Mike Woodson thread! I'm okay with giving him another year (deserved or not), because we don't a choice. But isn't it okay for people to still want him fired? Roster construction is just one issue, of many. All the questions will be answered from November-March.

I don’t even necessarily want him fired. I just think the fans and others being pissed about last year and Woodson taking the blame was what needed to happen. Woodson and staff should have understood they dropped the ball. They behind the scenes, seem to realize this but they outwardly blamed the fans for their ineptitudes on the season.

Roster construction is the most glaring concern but as you say, other questions on the court will need answered.

I’m thankful he cares and wants to win. I’m thankful our Nil and his backers ponied up to create what should be a solid roster. Now Is his chance to prove all the doubters wrong. Of which, there are many.