Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And yet the year before when he had one really good guard it was soooooo much better.

I wouldn’t call it so much better but we did make the tournament but I felt our record should have been a little better than it was

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Makes perfectly good sense. Won 19 games while hamstrung with one of the worst backcourts in major college basketball. Not only is that not the case this year, the backcourt and wing play is actually the strength of this team. 

He had three off seasons to get the backcourt of his choosing prior to last year. You consistently blame the exact players he chose to recruit and/or keep, yet absolve MW of all blame. How you don't see your hypocrisy is baffling.

10 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

He had three off seasons to get the backcourt of his choosing prior to last year. You consistently blame the exact players he chose to recruit and/or keep, yet absolve MW of all blame. How you don't see your hypocrisy is baffling.

Good Lord you're dense. I've literally blamed the staff for poor roster construction at least three different times in the last 24 hours alone. I haven't absolved blame from anybody. But keep trying though...

On 7/22/2024 at 1:27 PM, AH1971 said:

Woodson/staff's greatest failure by far and away was their grave misevaluation of Xavier Johnson as a starting PG in this conference. 

17 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Staff messed up not getting a lead/ball dominant guard in the portal last offseason. That issue has been addressed and then some this offseason.

6 hours ago, AH1971 said:

As far as the rest of your nonsense goes, I've said repeatedly that Woodson and the staff's misevaluation of Xavier Johnson and Trey Galloway as a lead guard was unacceptable. Not landing someone like Love or Knecht from the portal doomed last season. 

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And yet the year before when he had one really good guard it was soooooo much better.

I mean if MW can get an all time IU greats to stick around for their 3rd and 4th seasons and recruit 6'-6" 1 and done McD AA point guards with consistency, I'm on board.

We are totally locked in for the triennial Sweet 16 appearance and can pummel those naysayers with his better than Coach Archie Miller stats.

Toot toot.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Good Lord you're dense. I've literally blamed the staff for poor roster construction at least three different times in the last 24 hours alone. I haven't absolved blame from anybody. But keep trying though...

Yet you call him hamstrung, which in sports connotes him, not of his doing, being put in the undesirable position. Which side of your mouth are you talking out of now, I can't tell by your typing?

9 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I mean if MW can get an all time IU greats to stick around for their 3rd and 4th seasons and recruit 6'-6" 1 and done McD AA point guards with consistency, I'm on board.

We are totally locked in for the triennial Sweet 16 appearance and can pummel those naysayers with his better than Coach Archie Miller stats.

Toot toot.

Jalen Hood Schifino was pretty good but not great as a point guard. He was an inconsistent freshman who shot 41.7% fg, 33% 3pt, and a 3.7/2.8 A/TO rate. Pretty damn good and a whole lot better than anything else the last two years, but there's no reason Rice and Carlyle shouldn't improve on that.

With JHS we were ranked, tied for second in the conference at 12-8, a top 20 team most of the season, and a top 16 seed in the NCAA tourney.  Not dominant, but solid.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Jalen Hood Schifino was not an all-time great as a point guard. He was an inconsistent freshman who shot 41.7% fg, 33% 3pt, and a 3.7/2.8 A/TO rate. Pretty damn good and a whole lot better than anything else the last two years, but there's no reason Rice and Carlyle shouldn't improve on that.

With JHS we were ranked, tied for second in the conference at 12-8, a top 20 team most of the season, and a top 16 seed in the NCAA tourney.  Not dominant, but solid.

Myles Rice had a better freshman season than JHS if you can believe it and we potentially get him for 3 more seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Jalen Hood Schifino was not an all-time great as a point guard. He was an inconsistent freshman who shot 41.7% fg, 33% 3pt, and a 3.7/2.8 A/TO rate. Pretty damn good and a whole lot better than anything else the last two years, but there's no reason Rice and Carlyle shouldn't improve on that.

Psst... TJD was the all time great that is being talked about here.

7 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Yet you call him hamstrung, which in sports connotes him, not of his doing, being put in the undesirable position. Which side of your mouth are you talking out of now, I can't tell by your typing?

It’s Woodson’s fault he didn’t surround his bigs with better guards last season. 4th time saying it. Do I need to type it in French next time?

Just now, go iu bb said:

Psst... TJD was the all time great that is being talked about here.

Yes - understood.

But the point I was making is that other than JHS (and Gallo as a nice defensive and complimentary piece), for the last two years our guards have really been subpar. In college basketball that is a death sentence for serious success.

Just now, AH1971 said:

It’s Woodson’s fault he didn’t surround his bigs with better guards last season. 4th time saying it. Do I need to type it in French next time?

C’est la faute de Woodson s’il n’a pas entouré ses grands de meilleurs gardes la saison dernière.

46 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Maybe don't excuse MW for last season's debacle because of the  guards shooting in the very next post then.

8 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Still haven't answered the question. Who else did you want attempting more 3's? Galloway? Gunn? Galloway shooting 200 3's vs 100 3's is a better formula for winning? I'd love to hear the analysis behind that. 

My guess, anyone that had an open look. At least keep the defense honest.The more attempts you take, the more opportunities you get without being double teamed on the block. We had 7 guys average above 30% on 3's last year(and Trey was not one). Not great by any stretch, but shoot the damn ball. 

1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

Maybe don't excuse MW for last season's debacle because of the  guards shooting in the very next post then.

Except I never excused Woodson, have literally now said that 5 different times now. We all agree that last year was a disaster, the only difference is that I (and a few others on here) believes deserved a chance to fix it.

57 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Except I never excused Woodson, have literally now said that 5 different times now. We all agree that last year was a disaster, the only difference is that I (and a few others on here) believes deserved a chance to fix it.

He has his chance since he didn't get fired. You seem to be trying to tell people they are wrong to be skeptical of his coaching. You're not going to change the minds of anyone with your excuses. The team next year will either convince people or not, but you won't no matter how much you defend Woodson.

Also, it's not just last year. Even his first two seasons, while better than Miler (not hard), didn't exactly build confidence that he could do the job well. So this isn't just 1 bad year and people turned on him. This is people unconvinced through 2 years then last year. To add to the disaster that was last year, he repeatedly refused to take any blame for it, always blaming others and often throwing the players under the bus.

You like to make it seem that last year was the 1st year that there were complaints about the offense and not taking enough 3-point shots. That has been consistent under Woodson. In '22-'23, they were 48th in 3-point percentage but 341st (!) in attempts. Should they have been taking more 3-pointers that year? Absolutely. You like to point out Purdue and their shooting. They had Edey which tremendously helped their outside shooting. IU had TJD which had a similar effect. They were able to shoot well despite Woodson's scheme, not because of it. ("It's not my job to get him shots.") This showed last year. So not only did he not get better guards, he didn't adjust his scheme to compensate for the ones he had.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

You can’t in reality and seriousness  blame the season on our inept backcourt that Woody and Staff chose to go to war with. I’ve seen your crew defend this by saying “woody was showing faith/AND/nobody would commit to IU with X and Gallo in the backcourt”

NONE of this jives with reality.  Woody needed to just suck up his pride and admit he didn’t put a good enough team together from jump.  No one else to blame. **** happens. But Woody and staff completely fumbled the off-season and roster construction and if he had fallen on the sword people might have more respect for him. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

3 hours ago, AH1971 said:

You're calling people dense...

image.gif.df50a1cd30d245f686f1ba8ed0b799e4.gif

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

He has his chance since he didn't get fired. You seem to be trying to tell people they are wrong to be skeptical of his coaching. You're not going to change the minds of anyone with your excuses. The team next year will either convince people or not, but you won't no matter how much you defend Woodson.

Also, it's not just last year. Even his first two seasons, while better than Miler (not hard), didn't exactly build confidence that he could do the job well. So this isn't just 1 bad year and people turned on him. This is people unconvinced through 2 years then last year. To add to the disaster that was last year, he repeatedly refused to take any blame for it, always blaming others and often throwing the players under the bus.

You like to make it seem that last year was the 1st year that there were complaints about the offense and not taking enough 3-point shots. That has been consistent under Woodson. In '22-'23, they were 48th in 3-point percentage but 341st (!) in attempts. Should they have been taking more 3-pointers that year? Absolutely. You like to point out Purdue and their shooting. They had Edey which tremendously helped their outside shooting. IU had TJD which had a similar effect. They were able to shoot well despite Woodson's scheme, not because of it. This showed last year. So not only did he not get better guards, he didn't adjust his scheme to compensate for the ones he had.

All correct. And it will fall on deaf ears. The VOLUME of 3 point shots is the problem, and it has never mattered who we had to shoot, it's Woodson's offensive scheme to play through the post (but I don't know what play through the post means....). What I am very much hoping for is to see that change this season -- there will be no excuse if it doesn't. And really, if Woodson has us shooting next season I'll be at the front of the line applauding him. Let's go Woodson, bring the modern offense, you've got the players.

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You can’t in reality and seriousness  blame the season on our inept backcourt that Woody and Staff chose to go to war with. I’ve seen your crew defend this by saying “woody was showing faith/AND/nobody would commit to IU with X and Gallo in the backcourt”

NONE of this jives with reality.  Woody needed to just suck up his pride and admit he didn’t put a good enough team together from jump.  No one else to blame. **** happens. But Woody and staff completely fumbled the off-season and roster construction and if he had fallen on the sword people might have more respect for him. 

That is the reality of last season. He went for the home run in the portal (Love, Knecht, etc) and when those guys went elsewhere he put too much blind faith in TG and XJ without exploring secondary options. Clearly he knows he f**** up, he went out and revamped his entire back court and added some shooting. 

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

All correct. And it will fall on deaf ears. The VOLUME of 3 point shots is the problem, and it has never mattered who we had to shoot, it's Woodson's offensive scheme to play through the post (but I don't know what play through the post means....). What I am very much hoping for is to see that change this season -- there will be no excuse if it doesn't. And really, if Woodson has us shooting next season I'll be at the front of the line applauding him. Let's go Woodson, bring the modern offense, you've got the players.

Right. When he was hired he talked about a 4-out offense then immediately reneged on that. "He has TJD" was the excuse. So people expected something different last year only to get... surprise, surprise... more the same except without TJD.