Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

I've always felt that we could only have portal success for players with only 1 year of eligibility remaining. 

There is no good way to do this. How do you extend Woodson at this point, but at the same time, how do you not extend him and expect to recruit well?

This is so dire.

Right now I'm clinging to Barrel Rick's bombs in the Mullins thread, and hope that a foundation can be set for 2025 regardless of who the coach is. 

As I've said before, I worry about Woodson doing just enough to get in the tournament and the administration considering it acceptable and bringing him back.

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

As I've said before, I worry about Woodson doing just enough to get in the tournament and the administration considering it acceptable and bringing him back.

If he couldnt get there with Ware this year, I don't see him being able to get the cupboard full enough to get there next year.   But hopefully the report we heard that aside from a Big 10 championship and/or final four run next year will be it. 

47 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Are we at a point where we can assume if he actually doesn't get an extension before this season then it’d mean that this upcoming season will be his last, or is it still early enough in his contract for him to still ne able to get an extension even after this next season is over? I just figure with recruiting then something like that would be better to know sooner than later, but at the same time if he just plans on using the dang portal year by year then all those kids need to know is that he’d be there for that season. 

I say give him an extension but remove the buyout clause and before the ink dries fire Woody.

55 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

His contract was 6 years. Good luck recruiting with only 2 years left on the deal, oh wait.

He hasn't recruited since he's been here... so I don't see an issue... but just fire him and be done with it.

If he couldnt get there with Ware this year, I don't see him being able to get the cupboard full enough to get there next year.   But hopefully the report we heard that aside from a Big 10 championship and/or final four run next year will be it. 
Ware is going to be a big loss unless he finds someone like him in the portal. So far I don't really see any ware type bigs in the portal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Redcamaro said:

I think he will be out next HC this time next year!

I honestly knew nothing about him until a couple months ago. The more I learn, the more he sounds like a younger Oats in style and competitiveness.  I haven't seen them play more than highlights, so how would his defensive philosophy be described? I love the aggressiveness of Bucky McMillan at Samford, so I hope he likes to pressure the ball and 3 point shooters.

I find it somewhat telling that Louisville fired its head coach (Kenny Payne) and they have THREE portal commits so far:

C  James Scott
SG Reyne Smith
CG Terrence Edwards, Jr.

Woodson was not fired, needs SIX players and has ZERO commits from the portal.

So, Louisville on auto-pilot has gotten three guys from the portal while IU, with a full coaching staff and no NIT tournament to get in their way has none.

Just fire Mediocre Mike Woodson today.

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I find it somewhat telling that Louisville fired its head coach (Kenny Payne) and they have THREE portal commits so far:

C  James Scott
SG Reyne Smith
CG Terrence Edwards, Jr.

So, Louisville on auto-pilot has gotten three guys from the portal while IU, with a full coaching staff and no NIT tournament to get in their way has none.

1. First, Charleston Head Coach Pat Kelsey takes over at UL
  2. Then, Charleston center James Scott, 5.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg portals to UL
  3. Then, Charleston SG Reyne Smith 12.8, 2.1 portals to UL
  4. CG Terrence Edwards, Jr. (really nice player) portals to UL

It's just not that big of a deal.

16 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

C  James Scott
SG Reyne Smith
CG Terrence Edwards, Jr.

It’s because he’s only looking at players in the top 50, IMO.  He needs to look at role players too.  He seems to want to put all of his eggs in one basket.  Pretty narrowed focused on recruiting and that happens when your coaching style is coaching the best available talent with no clear cut system to recruit to.  

FIRE MIKE WOODSON!!!

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I honestly knew nothing about him until a couple months ago. The more I learn, the more he sounds like a younger Oats in style and competitiveness.  I haven't seen them play more than highlights, so how would his defensive philosophy be described? I love the aggressiveness of Bucky McMillan at Samford, so I hope he likes to pressure the ball and 3 point shooters.

I guess technically he is a “younger Oates,” but only one year younger.

On 4/2/2024 at 12:14 PM, Home Jersey said:

Yes, in interviews when he was hired at Wagner, Rhode Island, and UConn, he's made references to having to convince his wife to let him take the job, because she does not like change and wants to be close to her family in Jersey City, where they are both from. I think Rhode Island at 3.5 hours was about as far as she'd ever be willing to go. UConn feels like a perfect fit for Hurley when you combine that with the fact that basketball is king there... he's already got it rolling and it's fueled by a regional recruiting pipeline he's built over a lifetime. 

I do not think there is any feasible amount of money that would make Danny Hurley jump right now. You never know... but the thing is, the Hurley family has shown time and time again that they're not necessarily motivated by money. Bob SR. could have left plenty of times over the years... a lot of that loyalty mindset exists in Danny... he coached HS for about 10 years and only made the jump to college because his wife essentially gave him the green light since she could see the need for competition burning within him, lol. He said Coach K told him in his final year at URI that he had to make a move now and he said that's what prompted him to being open to a change I believe. 

The only way I could see it making sense for him is if UConn becomes so diminished in conference re-alignments that he feels he can no longer be competitive on a national level (I don't see that happening personally). Even then, I think Hurley is the kind who would take pride in staying put and "beating the odds" despite conference challenges. I also think from an ego perspective, he'd love to be the indisputable top dog over Calhoun, but that's entirely my own speculation... he's just a maniac like that and I think he fits UConn like a glove. 

He does fit UConn …. As Stevens fits IU like a glove and Cal fits Kentucky. Fit matters. I’m not even convinced Hurley could win at IU like he does at UConn. 

53 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. First, Charleston Head Coach Pat Kelsey takes over at UL
  2. Then, Charleston center James Scott, 5.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg portals to UL
  3. Then, Charleston SG Reyne Smith 12.8, 2.1 portals to UL
  4. CG Terrence Edwards, Jr. (really nice player) portals to UL

It's just not that big of a deal.

Fire him anyway. 

Woodson as a top 5 spender needs to hone in and be focused and get the guys that will make us a winner.  No reason he shouldn’t make a big enough splash to get us in the preseason top 25. Top 5-10 spender,  no reason not to build at least a top 25 team. Don’t fill just to fill. Fill with a purpose and build a monster.