Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I thought they were paid bots from Woodson and the IU staff.

I think a few could be... But some of them are big-ish accounts that have been around for years. Funny to me because a few were not as optimistic as they are now, during the season. As you've said before... some people tend to forget how bad it was when they're not actively watching it. We may not be as bad as this year... but I don't think that makes them "right" in any way, especially if our ceiling is what we all suspect (R32, big loss)... just makes it hard to be excited right now. Hope they prove me wrong... tired of saying that

Edit: to clarify, I kinda doubt Woodson and the IU staff are paying for any bots (or necessarily aware they exist). I think he's got loud supporters and twitter is a cesspool of bots programmed to mimic sentiment, be combative, etc.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:32 AM, Chris007 said:

There are always ways around that. If he wanted to make a change he could have. He tried to play both sides and then did nothing. Now he can sit behind my hands were tied. 

Surely though, many can see through that game.

On the surface, it appears that Buckner is calling the shots. And I have been one beating the "it's Buckner's issue" drum. But I can also see another scenario here. Remember when you were younger and were invited to a party/sleepover/camping trip by friends that you really didn't want to go to, and had your parents say "no" for you? That's what I see happening here. Dolson was scared to make a move, so he's pointing to daddy Quinn and trying to shift the blame. But as athletic director, those calls are Dolson's job. It's his job to fight for what he thinks is best. Clearly he's not done squat in that regard.

Fire them all: Buckner, Dolson and Woodson.

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

His job is on the line by having another season like he just had he will be fired whether he and Dolson talked about it or not. I'm told they did. I think his ego is just so big that if he gets the right players he will be right back going 12-8 in the league. Which to him is an amazing job. 

Well, 10-10 in a down league is a crappy job. I don't see a two game swing suddenly making it an amazing season. What are they smoking in Bloomington?

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Well, 10-10 in a down league is a crappy job. I don't see a two game swing suddenly making it an amazing season. What kind of drugs are they all on in Bloomington?

I was just saying Woodson thought he did a great job with TJD and JHS we got the #4 seed but we were 12-8 in the league

So today is the start of the dead period, which runs until the 11th. I assume no commits this week.

When the dead period is over, we'll be coming up on 4 weeks that the portal has been open. Nothing to show for it yet. Deadline for undergrads to enter of May 1, so after the dead period, 2.5 weeks left for any late entries that can be convinced to portal. Then another dead period from May 16-24. From there, it would be only graduates entering the portal + whoever remains uncommitted. 

You'd hope we land some commitments during that 2.5 weeks before the May 1 undergrad entry deadline, since "we have better connection$ thi$ year in the portal" and what not. I'd personally like to have at least 11 slots filled before that May 16 dead period starts, maybe 10, if the staff truly has someone on another team's roster they're trying to lure into the portal (other than Conwell, I doubt it).

Round out the roster with a graduate and a project. Field a full 13. I've seen talk about them likely only using 12 again... if so, would be almost shocking to me the staff hasn't learned that lesson based on this past year. I really don't want us to end up in a situation where we've got multiple guys coming in later than the rest of the group/after summer classes wrap up at other schools. 

I'm somewhat of a Twitter Vet (13 years everyday use). I see the bots for sure, but more than that there is a twitter trend since the 2016 election where an influential account posts "Woodson is great" for example, and then acknowledges RTs/Favs replies that are in accordance with their view. It stokes an echo chamber within the twitter feed until it becomes mainstream narrative for selected users. So, if you're searching IUBB on twitter and it's dominated by a Woodson Stan and proliferated by 10+ accounts, the tweets you will see will be from their camp. The algorithm is manipulated essentially, and there is a fair share of clout chasing by the smaller human accounts. It's more than just IUBB, it's Twitter as a whole. Content creation + Views is the name of the game

18 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Round out the roster with a graduate and a project. Field a full 13. I've seen talk about them likely only using 12 again... if so, would be almost shocking to me the staff hasn't learned that lesson based on this past year. I really don't want us to end up in a situation where we've got multiple guys coming in later than the rest of the group/after summer classes wrap up at other schools. 

Doesn't surprise me at all. Learning a lesson would imply they admitted they did something wrong. I've seen no signs of that happening. 

3 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Learning a lesson would imply they admitted they did something wrong. I've seen no signs of that happening. 

Yeah... almost shocking! :farting_smiley: 

Hardly anything can surprise me with this staff anymore... But geez, you'd like to think fielding a full roster is tablestakes 

We’ll never be great at basketball again. I’m very confident of that. The IU administration doesn’t want it to happen. Bob Knight was the reason IU was great. Without him, we’re just another mediocre program that gives out raises for making the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We’ll never be great at basketball again. I’m very confident of that. The IU administration doesn’t want it to happen. Bob Knight was the reason IU was great. Without him, we’re just another mediocre program that gives out raises for making the tournament. 

The administration has been very good at making the program suck. Never thought I'd see the day when IU women had a better outlook than the men, yet hear we are; one has a good coach and the other has a guy that only got the job because he played here 40 years ago.

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s crazy to me, that 300- 500k got you the best of the best before NIL. 100-150k got you top talent.  Everything has quadrupled. 

Just like everywhere else inflation is a MOFO.

5 hours ago, JF87 said:

This is the NBA arrogance.  They assume since the NBA is better, then the NBA coaches are better.  The skillset for college basketball coaching is different and straight from the NBA guys often don't get it. 

And the crazy thing is we don't even get a NBA coach with a above .500 record, but we did get the coach with the most arrogance. 

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

There have been times in my career where I’ve been told I can make whatever changes I seem necessary but at the same time told the path the c-suite wanted me to take. It’s in those moments you are not really given the freedom to make a change. He would be making the change without the support of his superiors which is setting himself and the new hire up for failure. He may not have had the NIL available if there was a change too. Since the Simons/Cooks etc are backing Woody. Making a change just sets the program back further. But if they all agreed 1 more year and then Woody can retire or they would support a change, then his hands are literally tied to wait a year and then make a move for the best of the program. He maintains support above him, sets the new guy up for success, NIL funds remain available, etc.. Honestly, who care if it means missing on Dusty May, there are other quality coaches to be had. Go get one next year. 

I agree, if next year comes and goes and dolson is still sitting with his teeth in his mouth, then I will put blame on him!