Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t think he should be fired after year 3 but would LOVE it if he chose to walk away.  I’m so sick of him taking credit after wins and throwing his team under the bus after losses, not to mention playing the injury card every chance he gets.

CMW loves him some CMW.

There's a lot of bad aspects to the Woodson era, and this might be the worst. The audacity to just throw everyone under the bus when they lose but take all the credit when they win is reprehensible.

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

During one of our coaching searches, word was that Bucker said as long as he was around, there's no way Alford would ever coach at IU. 

Honestly, I can't listen to him during Pacer games without shivering at the thought of him at the reigns of IU basketball. I'm sure he's good as a person, but just going by things I've heard and read he seems misguided by his own judgement.

3 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

Who would you guys like to make the hire.  If it has to be within IU I would say I would like the President to do it (in this instance). I just don't have any faith in the athletic department and trustees at this point.  

Can Cignetti get hiring powers to build the basketball staff? 

6 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t think he should be fired after year 3 but would LOVE it if he chose to walk away.  I’m so sick of him taking credit after wins and throwing his team under the bus after losses, not to mention playing the injury card every chance he gets.

CMW loves him some CMW.

This is where his leadership is weak. He's had decades of lighting fires under grown men, and in a different generation at that. And he can connect with these young players, but only when things are good. When things are bad, it seems the only tactic he knows is calling them out and thinking/hoping they can man up themselves. Kids today (oh Lord, I finally uttered that phrase without sarcasm) can't respond to that. They can't connect with that. He doesn't have the team anymore. 

35 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

He didn't think the administration would be dumb enough to hire anyone but Alford who was the only remotely qualified IU guy available.  He wanted an IU guy but everyone knew what that meant.

Okay I'll bite... What did that mean? 

43 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Been thinking in my misery.  Let's not forget the Dolson narrative when Woodson was hired.  NBA lifer gives a path for IU kids to get to the NBA,  supplemented by 2 college lifers in Matta and Fife.  Matta/Fife could provide direction regarding the college game, recruiting, etc.  Made some sense if Woodson was going to be the hire.  Then Woodson's ego gets in the way and decides to blow it up firing Fife and probably pushing Matta out.  

I was one who was willing to give it a chance.  I thought it was great he was able to keep TJD and build a roster around him.  Bringing in guys like JHS, Malik, MM, Ware, and McNeely -- all great jobs.  But an epic failure to get guys surrounding them -- your core 3-4 year players, if you will.  We should have probably 4 HS kids signed to come next year to build the future off of.  We don't.  

So aside from the on court issues -- schemes, bad losses, no quality wins, and the likelihood of missing the tourney, there are the foundational reasons why Woodson should retire (and if necessary be fired). 

There is really nothing he could do right now.  Is he going to right the recruiting ship with 2025s?  If you're going to make a change, now is the time.  Sure you may lose McNeely, MM, Ware and Malik.  Maybe Gallo, Cups and Leal stay -- two Indiana kids and a lunch bucket kid.  Build from there.  Grab some portal players and kids down at the hyper and rebuild.  The cupboard is bare and there is no foundation -- it's a house of cards at this point.  This sucks.  

I think the key that you mentioned when Woodson was hired with no college experience whatsoever was the fact that he was supposed to have Matta and Fife around to help him with his transition to the college game.  Matta left for whatever reason, I think Woodson’s ego ran him off, and Fife was let go and I think that is where we are now with Woodson not knowing how to properly construct a roster that fits his style of play.  Heck, he probably doesn’t even know what style he plays and instead he thinks he needs to go after mostly 5 star and highly rated 4 star players because he thinks that will hide his coaching deficiencies.  And again, here we are.  

23 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

There's a lot of bad aspects to the Woodson era, and this might be the worst. The audacity to just throw everyone under the bus when they lose but take all the credit when they win is reprehensible.

I’ve really been turned off by Woody’s personality. Both because he throws his players under the bus and because he acts like he’s above answering reporter’s legitimate questions. Like dude, your team stinks. Sometimes you have to answer the tough questions when that happens. 

30 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

Dolson can’t truly be happy with the results. He has been around basketball long enough to know the product on the court is hard to watch. 

I’ve thought that about the IU administration for 20-some years. Yet nothing really changes, so it’s hard to conclude that they really care.  

If this were happening at Kentucky the only discussions being had would be if they change coaches now or at the end of the year. 

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’ve thought that about the IU administration for 20-some years. Yet nothing really changes, so it’s hard to conclude that they really care.  

If this were happening at Kentucky the only discussions being had would be if they change coaches now or at the end of the year. 

If Kentucky hired a guy that hadn't been a HC in nearly 10 years and they'd also be asking if the AD gets fired too.

Im not a Doyle guy or a Indy Star guy but they seemed to have turned against Woody now. They usually seem like the last line of defense of “protecting the coach with positive narratives.” 

12 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

Im not a Doyle guy or a Indy Star guy but they seemed to have turned against Woody now. They usually seem like the last line of defense of “protecting the coach with positive narratives.” 

Peegs and Rabby were always pro current IU staff under Archie and Crean weren’t they?  Could be wrong on that but I thought Rabby had a dog at the current situation recently which i thought was notable. 

Just now, realTomCrean said:

Keep updating the page to hope someone who knows something say “boosters talking”, “word is he’s gone at end of year”. I’ll stay dreaming while this pain of being mediocre keeps stinging 

I think you're dreaming. Having to ask for Woodson's buyout right after having to ask for Allen's? Not happening, even though it should.