Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, TadQueasy said:

I know he ultimately wanted Alford, but I recall an interview he did with Woody right after the hire and he just gushed about getting an IU guy and such.   

Yes, he was pumping the whole thing up. Dan even talked about how Dolson called him about woody and Dan was all for it. 

It’s not going to happen. Maybe he retires at year end, but doubtful. Best bet for a turnaround is NIL money spent on guards and wings this offseason. Problem is IU will have to overpay to get the quality needed to turn it around. 

They won't. Money will dictate him getting at least next season. Quinn will try to dictate God knows what. The IU coaching carousel continues to turn, in flames mind you, until the Board has the right people at the table. 

If he's done this year, it's only by his choosing.

It’s not going to happen. Maybe he retires at year end, but doubtful. Best bet for a turnaround is NIL money spent on guards and wings this offseason. Problem is IU will have to overpay to get the quality needed to turn it around. 

Multiple problems with this.

Do we trust the staff to identify the right pieces?
Do we trust the staff to put the pieces of the puzzle together correctly?
Do we then after all that trust the system on the court to get the results we need?

For me,as of this year, my answer is no to all 3 questions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Multiple problems with this.

Do we trust the staff to identify the right pieces?
Do we trust the staff to put the pieces of the puzzle together correctly?
Do we then after all that trust the system on the court to get the results we need?

For me,as of this year, my answer is no to all 3 questions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh I didn’t say it’s ideal. I’ve literally watched a combined 4 games all season. Been scarce on the boards for a good while now. IU Basketball has been dull and boring to watch even in wins the last 7-8 years. Found better things to do with my time. If IU isn’t going to take the their basketball program seriously, then as I fan I won’t either. I just think he made the dance the last 2 years and they will make a concerted effort to support him this offseason before making any move for change after 1 bad year. 

I agree with you that the talent evaluation  isn’t right. Watched Ledlum a little today and he was a guy they were all over. Not a good fit for the modern game. 

Whenever a change is made, I’d look at a proven winner to get things going. Drew would be the idea candidate but why leave Baylor. I’d look at McDermott, Moser, May, Oats, and Beard. Honestly don’t care about the baggage, just win. 

Been thinking in my misery.  Let's not forget the Dolson narrative when Woodson was hired.  NBA lifer gives a path for IU kids to get to the NBA,  supplemented by 2 college lifers in Matta and Fife.  Matta/Fife could provide direction regarding the college game, recruiting, etc.  Made some sense if Woodson was going to be the hire.  Then Woodson's ego gets in the way and decides to blow it up firing Fife and probably pushing Matta out.  

I was one who was willing to give it a chance.  I thought it was great he was able to keep TJD and build a roster around him.  Bringing in guys like JHS, Malik, MM, Ware, and McNeely -- all great jobs.  But an epic failure to get guys surrounding them -- your core 3-4 year players, if you will.  We should have probably 4 HS kids signed to come next year to build the future off of.  We don't.  

So aside from the on court issues -- schemes, bad losses, no quality wins, and the likelihood of missing the tourney, there are the foundational reasons why Woodson should retire (and if necessary be fired). 

There is really nothing he could do right now.  Is he going to right the recruiting ship with 2025s?  If you're going to make a change, now is the time.  Sure you may lose McNeely, MM, Ware and Malik.  Maybe Gallo, Cups and Leal stay -- two Indiana kids and a lunch bucket kid.  Build from there.  Grab some portal players and kids down at the hyper and rebuild.  The cupboard is bare and there is no foundation -- it's a house of cards at this point.  This sucks.  

34 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

I know he ultimately wanted Alford, but I recall an interview he did with Woody right after the hire and he just gushed about getting an IU guy and such.   

He didn't think the administration would be dumb enough to hire anyone but Alford who was the only remotely qualified IU guy available.  He wanted an IU guy but everyone knew what that meant.

Looking at the remaining schedule I only see 1/2 more wins. That would have us playing day one in the big ten tournament as like a 11/12 seed. In year 3….. That seems worthy of being fired. Honestly can see Iu losing in the Big Ten Tourney to whomever. Can Dolson really be impressed by Woodson. He barely got in the NCAA tourney year 1. Last year that miracle comeback vs Michigan on Senior saved him from a Quad 3 loss. Probably a 6/7 seed in the NCAA tourney

39 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Absolutely NO on Alford... and the "must be an IU guy" has been an epic failure... can we please move on from that?

Woody is the consummate "IU guy" - was here 40 years ago, and he brought 40-year-old culture and playing style to IU... just no thanks.

They won't. Money will dictate him getting at least next season. Quinn will try to dictate God knows what. The IU coaching carousel continues to turn, in flames mind you, until the Board has the right people at the table. 
If he's done this year, it's only by his choosing.
I will argue money will dictate them firing him. Nobody wants to see this continue. He will need to land some more recruits and have a few stay publicly to save him

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Absolutely NO on Alford... and the "must be an IU guy" has been an epic failure... can we please move on from that?

Woody is the consummate "IU guy" - was here 40 years ago, and he brought 40-year-old culture and playing style to IU... just no thanks.

If it absolutely has to be an IU guy, it should've been Alford though. If he were hired instead of Woodson, he'd be the best coach post-Knight. I still can't believe Woodson got the job in the first place. 

1 minute ago, GoIU8 said:

If it absolutely has to be an IU guy, it should've been Alford though. If he were hired instead of Woodson, he'd be the best coach post-Knight. I still can't believe Woodson got the job in the first place. 

Buckner loves Woody more than Stevie.

8 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

I'd still say Sampson was the best coach post-Knight. Of course then we treated the program like a Taco Bell bathroom and blew it up.

I don’t think he should be fired after year 3 but would LOVE it if he chose to walk away.  I’m so sick of him taking credit after wins and throwing his team under the bus after losses, not to mention playing the injury card every chance he gets.

CMW loves him some CMW.