Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

We do not all agree.

About five or ten posters on this board have been repeatedly clear that they strongly agree with each other. Most posters on this message board, a place for airing of grievances, disagree with what you stated as something we “all” agree with.

You sound like a Woodson apologist!  I meant the ones that have the same feelings as I do, honestly didn’t mean everyone on this board but way to show your skill of bolding and underlying my post.  Also, you come across as the Btown Banner police and everyone seems to coward down to you.  Why is that?  I guess you are the Btown Police.  

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

Last time I will post in this thread.

Said it before, some folks are holding on to stuff because they want to be butthurt.

No one here was personally affected by anything CMW has said or done. No one had their reputation ruined. No one had their careers affected. No one lost money over his actions.So what, he said some things or acted some way that some people don’t care for. You and I are not paying his salary, we have nothing invested in him other than the emotional value we place on our fandom. 
It’s almost like it’s easier to just keep repeating the same thing rather than saying that, at least for this next year, Woodson is the coach.

All for this season being make or break for CMW and his staff. With the money that has been devoted to the program, there can be no excuses for less than a stellar season. But regardless of the outcome, my life won’t change and I will not be tethered to the comments, perceived slights, or whatever is communicated by Woodson or his staff 

Fans don’t need to be personally affected to have opinions on the character Mike Woodson has demonstrated over the past year. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

There can be a fine line between confidence and arrogant but there is a difference.

Things I've heard from Cignetti sounds like someone very confident in his system and coaching, a few comments can come across arrogant but generally just seems very confident. With his track record, albeit at lower conferences, it's warranted but he'll still adjust his style of play or incorporate new things he sees. He was also willing to speak to another IU team when asked.

Woodson doesn't have that track record and so far hasn't shown much ,if any, willingness to change his way of doing things; this roster is better but it's TBD if he actually adjusts. Yet he'll refer to himself in 3rd person, says "I don't have to answer that to you or the fans", says he did his job while missing the tournament, refused to speak to another IU team and according to Chris has little to no respect for the women's program that's currently better than the men's. Woodson even had to be told to go to sectionals.

I think a large part of the disconnect is that Woodson feels like he does have that track record - based on his playing career and NBA coaching resume. That's why he bristles when fans or local media question him. On the other hand, the fans only look at his IU coaching results and think "this guy has accomplished very little, why is he so arrogant".

If Woodson acts the same way but has us in the top ten this year, it won't be a problem. He just needs to win.

Edited by Shooter

15 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Meh... at the end of the season you had program cheerleaders from Rabjohns and Peagram to Assembly Call openly criticizing both the on court results and the conduct of the staff.  It's hardly relegated to "five or ten posters on this board." I know lifelong IU fans that have never heard of this board who are sick of Woody.  

The portal has given him a temporary shot in the arm.  Everybody loves a comeback story so if he can make it work he can easily regain much goodwill.  We'll see what happens.  

We had a family get together today at my cousins daughters house and one of her friends stopped by with her husband and they both were wearing IU shirts.  The very first time I met them and neither one had a nice thing to say about Mike Woodson.  They both wished he would have gotten fired and they said now that he has a good team that money can buy, he better prove he can actually coach because he won’t have all his excuses to fall back on.  They said the same or similar stuff we all have.

The real pressure is on now on MW.

Just a note:  I was one that liked the MW hire but with everything that went down this past year, I have lost all respect for him.  I can’t root for us to lose, but I do want him gone.  It will take a lot for him to get me back as a supporter of him.  Maybe  winning a national championship will go along way in that area, lol!

35 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I think a large part of the disconnect is that Woodson feels like he does have that track record - based on his playing career and NBA coaching resume. That's why he bristles when fans or local media question him. On the other hand, the fans only look at his IU coaching results and think "this guy has accomplished very little, why is he so arrogant".

If Woodson acts the same way but has us in the top ten this year, it won't be a problem. He just needs to win.

He probably does feel that way, but he was mediocre as an nba player and an nba coach too. Won 46% of his games and won three playoff rounds in nine seasons. He was there a long time, but nothing about his time in the nba was remarkable. Certainly not remarkable enough to warrant the way he acts. But you’d think he’s a HOFer with the way he acts. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Meh... at the end of the season you had program cheerleaders from Rabjohns and Peagram to Assembly Call openly criticizing both the on court results and the conduct of the staff.  It's hardly relegated to "five or ten posters on this board." I know lifelong IU fans that have never heard of this board who are sick of Woody.  

The portal has given him a temporary shot in the arm.  Everybody loves a comeback story so if he can make it work he can easily regain much goodwill.  We'll see what happens.  

Everyone loves a good comeback story

Sorry, I'm going to hell.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He probably does feel that way, but he was mediocre as an nba player and an nba coach too. Won 46% of his games and won three playoff rounds in nine seasons. He was there a long time, but nothing about his time in the nba was remarkable. Certainly not remarkable enough to warrant the way he acts. But you’d think he’s a HOFer with the way he acts. 

And he has this sense of entitlement 

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

I'm not just looking at his IU results. He was sub .500 as an NBA coach and his Knicks teams had the same problems we're seeing. His head coaching career was over until IU called.

College is a completely different beast, coaches like Pitino and Calipari that stunk in the NBA and went back to college were already college coaches with varying degrees of success.

This team will under achieve and won't be better than the sum of it's parts. It might make the tournament, but with IU that's good enough. They replaced standards and expectations with excuses; making excuses is one if the few things IU has been consistently good at over the last 25 years.

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yep. He was a journeyman for 10 years as a player. His coaching career was mostly an assistant; sub par as a HC and after the Knicks fired him his HC career was over because no one wanted him.

4 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Yep. He was a journeyman for 10 years as a player. His coaching career was mostly an assistant; sub par as a HC and after the Knicks fired him his HC career was over because no one wanted him.

I never paid attention to the NBA when Woody played but your post made me want to check out his playing career. He played for more teams than I realized but he did average 14 a game for his career and just missed scoring11,000 points by 19. In the current era he would have made a ton of cash (as an example Cody has averaged 7.9 ppg, scored 4,376 points but has earned nearly 79,000,000…yowza)

I never paid attention to the NBA when Woody played but your post made me want to check out his playing career. He played for more teams than I realized but he did average 14 a game for his career and just missed scoring11,000 points by 19. In the current era he would have made a ton of cash (as an example Cody has averaged 7.9 ppg, scored 4,376 points but has earned nearly 79,000,000…yowza)

So, Woodsons NBA career scoring stats, during the 9 yrs he played, were very much in line with journeyman Scottie Pippens.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

So, Woodsons NBA career scoring stats, during the 9 yrs he played, were very much in line with Scottie Pippens.

Yeah, I don’t get the comments about his playing career. Criticize away about his coaching, but you don’t last as many years in the NBA and have a career avg. in double digits without being a good player.

What’s the percentage of players who even make it to the league?

Yeah, I don’t get the comments about his playing career. Criticize away about his coaching, but you don’t last as many years in the NBA and have a career avg. in double digits without being a good player.

They don't like it, but CMW's winning percentage is the 3rd best of any IU coach over the last 60 yrs. Salt, meet wound.

18 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

They don't like it, but CMW's winning percentage is the 3rd best of any IU coach over the last 60 yrs. Salt, meet wound.

His winning percentage is slightly better than the other post-Knight duds, better throw him a victory party for his one ncaa tournament win. He’s 31-29 in what has been a very mediocre Big 10. If anything, your statistic just shows that IU basketball was Bob Knight and without him we’re just another average P5 program. 

58 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Career PER of 15.0, which is the league average. Below average career TS%, negative career BPM. 1-12 career playoff record as a player. 0 all-star teams, 0 accolades of any kind as a professional player. 

Was he a bad nba player? No. But this was the initial post that started the conversation:

”I think a large part of the disconnect is that Woodson feels like he does have that track record - based on his playing career and NBA coaching resume. That's why he bristles when fans or local media question him.” 

Mike Woodson’s nba career was unremarkable and so was his nba coaching career. Absolutely nothing in his nba career warrants the arrogance he’s displayed during his IU coaching tenure. 

Posted (edited)

Career PER of 15.0, which is the league average. Below average career TS%, negative career BPM. 1-12 career playoff record as a player. 0 all-star teams, 0 accolades of any kind as a professional player. 

Was he a bad nba player? No. But this was the initial post that started the conversation:

”I think a large part of the disconnect is that Woodson feels like he does have that track record - based on his playing career and NBA coaching resume. That's why he bristles when fans or local media question him.” 

Mike Woodson’s nba career was unremarkable and so was his nba coaching career. Absolutely nothing in his nba career warrants the arrogance he’s displayed during his IU coaching tenure. 

Small problem with your argument. Woody’s biggest supporters are all old heads who don’t believe in those fancy schmancy advanced stats. Witness the absurd comparison to Scottie Pippen based merely on ppg. 

It’s not your fault. You wouldn’t understand since you’ve never played high level sports.

Edited by hoosierhoo

His winning percentage is slightly better than the other post-Knight duds, better throw him a victory party for his one ncaa tournament win. He’s 31-29 in what has been a very mediocre Big 10. If anything, your statistic just shows that IU basketball was Bob Knight and without him we’re just another average P5 program. 

Also shows how bad IU has been at hiring coaches. At some point it seems they'd reevaluate their process, if they were actually trying to get it right.

32 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

Small problem with your argument. Woody’s biggest supporters are all old heads who don’t believe in those fancy schmancy advanced stats. Witness the absurd comparison to Scottie Pippen based merely on ppg. 

It’s not your fault. You wouldn’t understand since you’ve never played high level sports.

Yeah, I'm one of those old guys, but I do understand statistics. He left one out though. You know, that one where 1.2% of all college players get drafted to the NBA. And the statistic for those that last 14 years in the league has to be infinitesimally smaller than that. 

It's not your fault if you've never been at the top of a career ladder for an extended period of time.

34 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, I'm one of those old guys, but I do understand statistics. He left one out though. You know, that one where 1.2% of all college players get drafted to the NBA. And the statistic for those that last 14 years in the league has to be infinitesimally smaller than that. 

It's not your fault if you've never been at the top of a career ladder for an extended period of time.

My career is doing just fine, but thank you so much for your concern :)

Mike Woodson played 11 seasons, not 14 seasons, and he only played 15 games his last season. Please tell us what he did during those 11 seasons to warrant the arrogance he’s displayed over the past year as IU’s coach. He was a journeyman player, he was a journeyman coach, but he walks around like he was LeBron on the court and Phil Jackson on the sideline.