Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with this. If Coach Woodson wanted me to play golf with him this afternoon at Pfau I would be there with my best bottle of wine. Which is probably something from Oliver Winery so not very good. We sat and talked for almost an hour at Uptown one night, I loved his stories. I just don't think his coaching style is a good fit. I don't think he can or will or wants to change. I wish he would retire so we don't have to say fire Mike Woodson

Also agree,….. I almost wish he was 10-20 years younger at this point, had descent college coaching experience under his belt prior to IU, then this could/might or maybe be a well written story. JMO

It’s no secret that he has owed most everything to Coach Knight and what he did for him as a player and a man. Unfortunately his approach is a bit outdated and crass. 
I have no doubt that Coach Woodson wants the world for IU Basketball and he knows he’s late to the college game. IMO, He’s most likely living/practicing the old adage, “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”, when it comes to constructing a roster with the NIL.

He may be thinking he’s a little too old and doesn’t have the energy to get out on the rigorous recruiting trail, like seasoned NCAA coaches do. I know this screams, “then why are you gambling with time and IU’s money?”

Finally, I honestly think he wants this one last shot to bring prominence and national notoriety to IU before he retires. Like it or not, If it wasn’t for NIL, Coach Woodson would most likely already be fired. JMHO

35 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not to derail the thread but do you have a favorite IPA these days? I can't find anything new that I like. I'm stuck on Founders all day series mostly because I like buying 15 at a time instead of 6. 

I've heard that Woodson hates beer so for that he should be fired

Here’s my current favorite… 

….nothing fancy, but LOVE the taste!

IMG_6358.jpeg

18 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Coach Woodson has three assistants and Armond Hill to discuss basketball and strategize with.  Randy Wittman and I believe one other person were hired as consultants the last few years to provide input to coach Woodson.  The fact that we don't value the three-point shot and incorporate analytics into our style of play and roster construction is all on Mike Woodson.  The information has to have been provided to him, so I have to assume he just chooses to ignore it. 

It's remarkable that one of the pioneers of basketball analytics, Wayne Winston, works less than a mile from assembly hall, and I don't believe any coach at IU has been receptive to his input or help.   The egos on college basketball coaches are something else.

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You guys know me. I wanted to move on. Especially if it could have been Oats.

Pearl I would have loved more 5 years ago, but still would have supported that.

May, I’m not as sold on as many others but he’s got big potential. But he’s not a sure thing.

The second aspect in all of this is style of play. Taking winning aside.
Alabama, UNC, even Illinois, Purdue. But there are many examples of offenses, probably 150 of them I enjoy over Indiana. That’s ridiculous and that is something that needs changed. But it’s not Woody.

The voluptuous warchest is definitely a glimmer of hope. It’s actually the only hope. And it does lead to some excitement from me. But then I remember our staffs choices thus far and I have reservations again. Tony Perkins, of all the options? Is that really what we want to do?

I’ve lost 100% of my confidence in Woody’s system but I haven’t lost 100% of confidence in what a great roster can do. Do I think our achievement is capped? Yeah.

It’s a mixed bag of emotions but since it’s Woody, at least he’s got a warchest or I’d be checked out.

Next year decides his fate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Bruh. I am tempted to refer to our NIL funds as The Voluptuous Warchest forever now. 

Just now, iu2win said:

First time posting here. Like so many other longtime IU grads/fans, I was disappointed with the outcome this season and I began to have doubts about Coach Woodson’s ability to coach at the college level.  Then, senior night happened; and Woodson brought the “true fans” and “I’m doing my job” and “understand that” comments.  It seemed to me he had burned bridges at that point and IU would have no choice but to head in a new direction.  Instead, IU loaded him up with NIL money and his first “lock” is another 5 star forward who signed with IU (when his NBA second league gig fell through). IU fans see what Woodson obviously can’t see . . . what he is doing isn’t working and more of the same is not the answer!

Welcome to Btownbanners. I think many here understand your concerns. 

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

95% of this thread is totally negative about Woody and I'm on record as having wanted him gone as well.  But to say people are being picked on and attacked is laughable.  If expressing a view that doesn't fit someone's narrative is being attacked then we should completely shut down btb because it happens in almost every thread.

I think it's outside this board.  I'm being attacked but honestly who cares. Ever since I was kid I was sadly raised to question things.  There is kind of an inner peace that comes with trying to be objective in front of the biased whole.  It starts with yourself and having the capability of being ok with being wrong and having the ability readjust appropriately. 

I've seen this administration being a mess for 30 years and I think in order to eventually change the state of things more people need to face some hard truths. More people are starting to get it. We'll get there one day but it comes from people in a respectful manner trying to help others to open up their vision instead attacking them.  

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Generally agree, but understand the speculation. As Stu said: 

The lack of regulation in the landscape and de facto "professionalization" of CBB makes it more similar to the NBA in the financial aspect, i.e. fans have a rooting interest in how their organization manages their budget/payroll.

Another major difference between NCAA/NIL and NBA is the salary cap. In order to (try to) create parity, the NBA limits salary spending. The NIL is completely the wild, wild west. Any team can raise any amount of money and effectively "buy" a better team. Even if the NCAA came up with a way to level that playing field, there's the cheaters (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and others) who would just move the excess inducements back under the table.

43 minutes ago, iu2win said:

First time posting here. Like so many other longtime IU grads/fans, I was disappointed with the outcome this season and I began to have doubts about Coach Woodson’s ability to coach at the college level.  Then, senior night happened; and Woodson brought the “true fans” and “I’m doing my job” and “understand that” comments.  It seemed to me he had burned bridges at that point and IU would have no choice but to head in a new direction.  Instead, IU loaded him up with NIL money and his first “lock” is another 5 star forward who signed with IU (when his NBA second league gig fell through). IU fans see what Woodson obviously can’t see . . . what he is doing isn’t working and more of the same is not the answer!

Welcome! And don't worry, Woodson is in his final year here at Indiana. We'll be under new leadership this time next year. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m sure Woodson loves IU basketball and wants to help it, but the effort (well, lack thereof) he puts in is not that of someone passionate about the job. It’s like he wants to help IU but wants to put in the minimum effort wise to do so. 

I'm sure that he thinks he can help. The part that burns me is that he puts minimal effort in to most of the job, but wants full credit and to be praised for the part of the job that he's actually done. And stuff like ignoring the rest of the athletic department because he thinks that it's beneath him truly irks me.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Not to derail the thread but do you have a favorite IPA these days? I can't find anything new that I like. I'm stuck on Founders all day series mostly because I like buying 15 at a time instead of 6. 

Fat Head Alpha Blocker is my new favorite! I get the mix 12 of Fat Head (west coast) and the Alpha Blocker separately. Love it!!!

17 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'm sure that he thinks he can help. The part that burns me is that he puts minimal effort in to most of the job, but wants full credit and to be praised for the part of the job that he's actually done. And stuff like ignoring the rest of the athletic department because he thinks that it's beneath him truly irks me.

Wow, that was the perfect description of something not allowed to be discussed on this site!

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I saw where Arizona fans were saying the same thing about Tommy Lloyd. Then Caleb Love said they weren't "true fans" Haha 

So, a "true fan" is one that follows blindly to a given program and questions nothing.  Is that about, right?  ;-)

52 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

All hell is breaking loose at work today. Lots of donors and fans are demanding Hubert Davis  get canned for the sweet sixteen appearance. Different objectives I guess. 

I live near some UNC fans and while they aren’t saying Davis should be fired, they wouldn’t be unhappy if he was. They say he can’t win the big games. Yet, they were a little surprised when I told them earlier that I wanted Woodson gone. I honestly believe it’s because it’s been so long since IU was releasing on the national scene. Why would expect better?

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Being in Kokomo, I'm fortunate to live about 5 minutes away from our Sun King.. I'm working thru their mix of IPAs now...✌️ 

oops sorry..

FIRE Coach Pawpaw!!