Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

14 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Rumor is Adam Howard is following Dusty to Michigan. Dont know if he fall under an " assistant coach" per se...but that is only rumblings i have heard. 

Lol that’s one of the few guys I would’ve liked to keep on the staff but what do I know.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Wow. If one of the greatest players in program, history won the national championship as coach of the Indiana Hoosiers, you would want him fired immediately.

Wow. If one of the greatest players in program, history won the national championship as coach of the Indiana Hoosiers, you would want him fired immediately.

Just read that. See if that makes one iota of sense to you.

He used the word "retire", but I question the premise of "one of the greatest players in program history". He was good, he overcame a major back injury/surgery, but there are plenty of players significantly better than Woodson. And setting that whole argument aside for a moment, he's an awful coach who cannot  and will not recruit. He got to the dance twice with Archies players and a few of his own no-effort recruits (guys who literally fell into his lap), and if the scenario that you paint even happens, it will be because the rich donors will have bought him a team. So, yeah, IF he wins it all (less that 1% chance of that happening), then I still want him gone. Retired or fired, that part makes me no difference.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Just read that. See if that makes one iota of sense to you.

Correct.

It’s never happening, though, so it doesn’t matter. The boosters can buy Woodson a team that he’s too lazy to recruit himself, but they can’t buy him a national championship. 

42 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

He used the word "retire", but I question the premise of "one of the greatest players in program history". He was good, he overcame a major back injury/surgery, but there are plenty of players significantly better than Woodson. And setting that whole argument aside for a moment, he's an awful coach who cannot recruit. He got to the dance twice with Archies players and a few of his own no-effort recruits (guys who literally fell into his lap), and if the scenario that you paint even happens, it will be because the rich donors will have bought him a team. So, yeah, IF he wins it all (less that 1% chance of that happening), then I still want him gone. Retired or fired, that part makes me no difference.

If you played for IU from the mid 70s through 1987, you almost had to try not to win a national championship. Mediocre Mike pulled it off though.

15 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

If you played for IU from the mid 70s through 1987, you almost had to try not to win a national championship. Mediocre Mike pulled it off though.

In fact, they won it all in 1976, and they won it all again in 1981. What happened during the four years in between? Mediocre Mike. 

23 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In fact, they won it all in 1976, and they won it all again in 1981. What happened during the four years in between? Mediocre Mike. 

Terrible, terrible takes. 

I cannot even imagine what would prompt these kind of posts. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Criticize Woody the IU coach all you want. There are certainly myriad reasons to do so. And it's deserved. 

But IMO -- let's leave Woody the IU player alone. Dude was damn good. 

Unfortunately, this is what I feared would happen if we hired one of our own and things didn't go well. His legacy as a player is now under fire -- and that just ain't right. 

Then maybe don't lobby your buddy to hire you for a job you know you aren't remotely qualified for.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Bucky-ball.

Go to the 5:20 mark.

Bucky has everything to be a major success down the road. Incredibly cerebral, ultra competitive,  lives and breaths basketball,  and knows how to recruit and develop players for his system.  He's very disciplined and demands that from his players. His dream is to coach a blue blood program or Bama.

Mutual friends of his have told me he won't take just any job. His next step will need to be a good situation with strong administration and NIL support. Vandy was interested in him, but their NIL is terrible.  Gonna be interesting to see what his next move will be, and how it might lead to his ultimate goal. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Bucky has everything to be a major success down the road. Incredibly cerebral, ultra competitive,  lives and breaths basketball,  and knows how to recruit and develop players for his system.  He's very disciplined and demands that from his players. His dream is to coach a blue blood program or Bama.

Mutual friends of his have told me he won't take just any job. His next step will need to be a good situation with strong administration and NIL support. Vandy was interested in him, but their NIL is terrible.  Gonna be interesting to see what his next move will be, and how it might lead to his ultimate goal. 

So IU is out, this administration is a clown show.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

So IU is out, this administration is a clown show.

Sadly, that could be true. Hopefully his competitive nature would lead him to believe he could make it work. We have everything else you could want.

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Stop.

Mike Woodson was an extremely good basketball player and them not winning a National Title (which was much harder to do back then) had nothing to do with Woodson's play. 

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Stop.

Mike Woodson was an extremely good basketball player and them not winning a National Title (which was much harder to do back then) had nothing to do with Woodson's play. 

It was not harder to do then lol stop with that. It's immensely more difficult now. 

Everything else I 100% agree. Some fans struggle on where to draw the line. 

I agree that Mike Woodson the player should have nothing to do with Mike Woodson the coach and shouldn’t be treated as equal, but the worse this gets, it becomes more about Mike Woodson the person, which in turn brings out negative comments about both player/coach. Not saying it should happen, but when Woodson the person starts to say/do the things he’s been saying about how he needs to go about things and giving off the “I don’t give a damn about what anyone else thinks, so screw you and you’re not a true fan if you’re not a fan of Mike Woodson”, I can see how it could make people start to not give a crap about Woodson the player, hence letting their frustrations out by commenting on that to go along with the other stuff.

It’s unfortunate, for I appreciate what he has done for the program as a player, and wanting to try to get the program back to prominence, but people are frustrated, he doesn’t care, and it’s going to ruin how he’s perceived as a person/player/coach if he doesn’t go about ending this with us a certain way. He wants to be remembered as not only a great player for IU, but the coach who brought IU back to the top, but those things will come in a very distant 2nd and 3rd to a 1st of “Guy who burnt down his program because he was too stubborn to not do things the Mike Woodson way, which wasn’t good at all to begin with and he and his buddies didn’t care.”

People know he was a great player, but the state we’re in now is making it go lower on his “Things i did at IU” list. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It was not harder to do then lol stop with that. It's immensely more difficult now. 

Everything else I 100% agree. Some fans struggle on where to draw the line. 

Of course it was. Only two teams per conference through the 1980 season. Sweet 16 teams like Clemson, Alabama, Creighton or Marquette, San Diego State, and NC State wouldn't have even been in the field. 

Last years national champion UConn wouldn't have been in the field either. 

4 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I agree that Mike Woodson the player should have nothing to do with Mike Woodson the coach and shouldn’t be treated as equal, but the worse this gets, it becomes more about Mike Woodson the person, which in turn brings out negative comments about both player/coach. Not saying it should happen, but when Woodson the person starts to say/do the things he’s been saying about how he needs to go about things and giving off the “I don’t give a damn about what anyone else thinks, so screw you and you’re not a true fan if you’re not a fan of Mike Woodson”, I can see how it could make people start to not give a crap about Woodson the player, hence letting their frustrations out by commenting on that to go along with the other stuff.

It’s unfortunate, for I appreciate what he has done for the program as a player, and wanting to try to get the program back to prominence, but people are frustrated, he doesn’t care, and it’s going to ruin how he’s perceived as a person/player/coach if he doesn’t go about ending this with us a certain way. He wants to be remembered as not only a great player for IU, but the coach who brought IU back to the top, but those things will come in a very distant 2nd and 3rd to a 1st of “Guy who burnt down his program because he was too stubborn to not do things the Mike Woodson way, which wasn’t good at all to begin with and he and his buddies didn’t care.”

People know he was a great player, but the state we’re in now is making it go lower on his “Things i did at IU” list. 

Woodson was a great player at IU. It probably doesn't help that for students today and many fans Mike Woodson the player only exists in old pictures. I've got a cousin that goes to IU currently, her parents would've been young when he played.