Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Did that happen.   If anyone got a call i would think DD would have gotten one.  

He didn't come out and say who but I think he insinuated or even flat out said he got calls from Bloomington when he was on the Hysterics Emergency Podcast

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

I think it's fairly likely they'll both go somewhere else and produce more. I think Woodson killed their confidence with his rotations early in the year... I'm sure they could have also worked harder to "stay ready" too (they are who I assume those comments from Leal were directed at earlier in the year). We rarely looked like a team that was having fun this year. That's part of why it sucked so much. 

Fact is, Woodson himself said he couldn't "afford to wait on" those two to be ready this year. He didn't get them ready. Blame is probably not on the staff alone but you certainly can't absolve them of any. 

Every player should have an individual improvement plan -- things they need to work on.  Then it's up to them to get there.  Not really clear who failed here, but I have my guesses.  

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Two young players who are not talented enough.  Definitely need an upgrade in the bench. 

I don't know if I would agree on "talented enough".  For whatever reason they haven't developed.  It could be talent, but it also could be coaching or scheme.  

7 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Because no one is going to tell Mike Woodson how to run his program unless it's someone he trusts. 

You have to remember Woodson thinks he's done a great job. He thinks he will fix this in the portal. 

His delusion is going to lead to a complete implosion. He will strike out on any significant talent in the portal. The roster will be a disaster, filled with middling talent, the best disinterested players money can buy. Woodson will mentally check out, if that is even more possible, by mid season( maybe he goes for a season record for double technical early exits).

I don't even doubt he checks out before next season, when he gets turned down by several players whose names escape him and he realizes this season was as good as he was ever going to have it after TJD and JHS departed.

2 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

Re: Evans on JMV, I would recommend listening to the podcast.  I was driving but in summary.

He thought the low point of the year were a couple of our close wins over Army and Morehead, until the blowouts vs uconn and auburn.  And then the lack of discipline from X and Gunn on their ejections were lower, and then the home losses to Penn State and Nebraska were lower, and then recognizing (in his words) 2 juniors essentially on sr night announcing they are coming back for another year, ( why are we giving them framed jerseys and celebrating their senior night if they have another year?) to then a 75 pt career scorer claiming they’re going to run it back and to chill, to then Woodson dividing the fan base with his comments that if you have a problem and don’t like what you’re seeing from this program, you aren’t a true fan.  He thought that was the lowest point, until Friday night when Woody just decided he didn’t want to be there anymore and got the 2nd T.  That was the lowest point, watching him quit on his team etc.  Worries that it’ll be worse next year and that Woody will ruin his legacy of being a top player historically in the program and end up being booed off the court.  Said he has had talks with Dolson, and implied Scott isn’t able to get rid of Woody, that he has friends in the right places backing him and maybe they’ll throw enough money at mercenaries to field a team.  

This did 2 things for me…confirmed some of our insiders here definitely get legit info, and/or Evans is on this board lol.  

I mean can’t we get these stupid reporters to get Buckner on the record at least. Horrible and inept all the way around.  

42 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Did that happen.   If anyone got a call i would think DD would have gotten one.  

He and Gregg Doyel were reportedly contacted by someone in the athletic department asking them to dial it back a bit. 

8 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

Re: Evans on JMV, I would recommend listening to the podcast.  I was driving but in summary.

He thought the low point of the year were a couple of our close wins over Army and Morehead, until the blowouts vs uconn and auburn.  And then the lack of discipline from X and Gunn on their ejections were lower, and then the home losses to Penn State and Nebraska were lower, and then recognizing (in his words) 2 juniors essentially on sr night announcing they are coming back for another year, ( why are we giving them framed jerseys and celebrating their senior night if they have another year?) to then a 75 pt career scorer claiming they’re going to run it back and to chill, to then Woodson dividing the fan base with his comments that if you have a problem and don’t like what you’re seeing from this program, you aren’t a true fan.  He thought that was the lowest point, until Friday night when Woody just decided he didn’t want to be there anymore and got the 2nd T.  That was the lowest point, watching him quit on his team etc.  Worries that it’ll be worse next year and that Woody will ruin his legacy of being a top player historically in the program and end up being booed off the court.  Said he has had talks with Dolson, and implied Scott isn’t able to get rid of Woody, that he has friends in the right places backing him and maybe they’ll throw enough money at mercenaries to field a team.  

This did 2 things for me…confirmed some of our insiders here definitely get legit info, and/or Evans is on this board lol.  

All valid

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

I think it's fairly likely they'll both go somewhere else and produce more. I think Woodson killed their confidence with his rotations early in the year... I'm sure they could have also worked harder to "stay ready" too (they are who I assume those comments from Leal were directed at earlier in the year). We rarely looked like a team that was having fun this year. That's part of why it sucked so much. 

Fact is, Woodson himself said he couldn't "afford to wait on" those two to be ready this year. He didn't get them ready. Blame is probably not on the staff alone but you certainly can't absolve them of any. 

If we lose a coach, I hope the new coach is a "shot doctor" and can improve our shooting issues.  However, my guess would be that Woodson wants another recruiter.  

15 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

This did 2 things for me…reconfirmed some of our insiders here definitely get legit info, and/or Evans is on this board lol.  

Man, I love Brian Evans.  

2 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

They have TWO "shot doctors" on the bench in administrative position, yet cannot coach shooting. Am I right?

This is what Google says the Director of Player Development does.  I believe this is Calbert's role. 

Monitor and advise on players’ academic performance and off-field conduct, implementing support systems where necessary to maintain eligibility and personal development. Establish and maintain relationships with external development resources, including sports psychologists, nutritionists, and specialized skills coaches. 

4 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Despite our feelings about the program, it’s still good press to include IU on your list until announcing your final decision. Keeps eyes on you and still holds clout as a historic program for those following the recruitment. We’ve seen this with several recruits lately having IU in their finalists to make their announcement a bigger event. 

Why does it matter when we don't land any of these recruits?  It makes us look like always a bridesmaid and never a bride.  Oh look so, so choose someone else other IU nothing new IU doesn't land their target again.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Why does it matter when we don't land any of these recruits?  It makes us look like always a bridesmaid and never a bride.  Oh look so, so choose someone else other IU nothing new IU doesn't land their target again.  

It doesn't matter to us, it matters to kids looking to cash in to have the second largest fanbase on Twitter following them around for a few years.  It helps inflate their followers which can make them $$$.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

image.png.c64376f6886db8502725c6bf34f45190.png

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It doesn't matter to us, it matters to kids looking to cash in to have the second largest fanbase on Twitter following them around for a few years.  It helps inflate their followers which can make them $$$.

Are you talking about during their recruitment? 

2 hours ago, Trish said:

I heard he had a 1-1 meeting with a player today and the player threw a plant at him.

Or maybe that was Tom Crean. 

Read this and thought of Three Dog Night...