Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 minutes ago, Shooter said:

And dozens more who have succeeded after first showing their talent at lower levels. Including Bruce Pearl 

Bruce Pearl worked his way up the corporate ladder for nearly two decades before landing a big boy basketball gig. Again, not saying Dusty May can’t or won’t succeed at Indiana, he absolutely can.

But it’s far from the grand slam many people have stated should IU go that route. It’s a bloop double at best.

3 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

My completely uninformed opinion of whatever meeting they have next week and its theme is going to be the administration encouraging Woody to bow out gracefully and to make him understand how incredibly toxic the job will be for him if they are not immediately improved and winning games. Reading all the tea leaves my guess is they try to talk him out of it, but aren’t willing to fire before a 4th year. Hope I’m wrong but who knows.

If that's the case all should be removed from their duties immediately.  If they know he needs to go but they aren't willing to pull the plug themselves they have no business being anywhere near a position of power.

8 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’m not advocating for Collins but some of you are selling him short. NW is a difficult job.  

—In their 120 yr history they’ve been to the tourney 2 times. Both under Collins.  

—Carmody was a heckuva coach, never made the tourney, did have them ranked once…

—to that end, NW’s been ranked 9x in 100+ years. Collins has 5 of those teams  

He’s a pretty good coach at an impossible job

I am one that would attribute some of his success due to the B1G has sucked

My completely uninformed opinion of whatever meeting they have next week and its theme is going to be the administration encouraging Woody to bow out gracefully and to make him understand how incredibly toxic the job will be for him if they are not immediately improved and winning games. Reading all the tea leaves my guess is they try to talk him out of it, but aren’t willing to fire before a 4th year. Hope I’m wrong but who knows.

Woodson thinks everyone loves him he will not believe a word of that. Remember he is the smartest man in the room and he won't quit. Remember Chris said he doesn't even think he is on the hot seat nd nobody will tell him.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

If that's the case all should be removed from their duties immediately.  If they know he needs to go but they aren't willing to pull the plug themselves they have no business being anywhere near a position of power.

I completely agree, I am just saying it doesn’t sound like the pitchforks are out internally in the same way they are externally. And if that’s the case I would imagine it would also be qualified with some extremely stringent regulations. I.E. lower buyout, make tournament at minimum etc to even consider year five. Because for the absolute life of me, I can’t understand why you give home 4 with zero intention of 5. That’s simply not how college recruiting works anymore. 

16 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Man or woman of good taste. Red blooded American cuisine right there

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Obviously, you don’t live in the south

Assume you're Scott Dolson making the decision on whether Mike Woodson is getting a year 4.  What's the most concerning issue?  Won/loss record this year and underperforming last 2 year based on the talent on the roster? Style of play? Roster construction? Lack of recruiting foundation and no in-state recruiting? Offseason player departures tied to his return? 

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

Assume you're Scott Dolson making the decision on whether Mike Woodson is getting a year 4.  What's the most concerning issue?  Won/loss record this year and underperforming last 2 year based on the talent on the roster? Style of play? Roster construction? Lack of recruiting foundation and no in-state recruiting? Offseason player departures tied to his return? 

All the above 

17 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I completely agree, I am just saying it doesn’t sound like the pitchforks are out internally in the same way they are externally. And if that’s the case I would imagine it would also be qualified with some extremely stringent regulations. I.E. lower buyout, make tournament at minimum etc to even consider year five. Because for the absolute life of me, I can’t understand why you give home 4 with zero intention of 5. That’s simply not how college recruiting works anymore. 

Could be completely wrong but I personally would be sort of surprised if Woody were actually there. An impromptu meeting right after the season ends with the BOT (I assume) sounds like it would be around discussing his future and potential replacements. He may have an opportunity to present his case. That may all have to occur prior to the meeting. I'd imagine there will be reports that need read outs, etc... I just doubt he'd be there especially with the BTT looming.

Again we're going off no real info here, but I'd think if you're calling together the "big boys and girls" you need to have a more productive/detailed conversation/plan of action than just letting go of Woody and starting a search or keeping him and seeing how he does. I'd think they'd spend at least a decent amount of time walking through Scott's alternatives, which is where I imagine QB/other Trustees who have concerns about Pearl's past will block him. 

My understanding is that Dolson as the AD, should not get any flak from BOT (beyond normal financial and ethical scrutiny) on a sports related decision. They would have input on a hiring decision for a pivotal role to the university. That's why I think they'd spend the majority of that time talking replacements, not what retaining him looks like.

Anyhow that's enough hot air from me.

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

Yes. Seriously, yes.

His roster construction is horrible - crippled at guard, no shooters, and hell-bent on playing inside-out with dual bigs... as a whole, the team lacks fundamental skills, and at the core of these issues, by and large, is recruiting... he had to be forced to attend an Indiana HS sectional game where his supposed targets were playing... and if the rumors are to be believed, if he comes back, he's gonna have to pretty much go it alone.

35 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I dont believe they vetted anyone. They could get Steven's and went right to woodson. Ther never was a search.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I don’t remember a search either and Beard or Pearl would easily be top choice to replace if it happens this year.

Yes

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If IU decides to keep Woodson, I offer free services for the press release.

Mike Woodson will be the coach at IU next year. He is the right man for the job. We will be making some minor changes.

1) We will hire an assistant who knows the college game to help with game plan, adjustments and player development. Because it’s one area where Mike needs help.

2) We will hire someone to help with high school recruiting. Developing relationships with coaches and players. Again, not one of Mike’s strong suits.

3) We will hire someone to navigate the portal and NIL. It’s an area where Mike needs assistance.

In all other facets of the game, Mike is on point. We are looking forward to a great 2024-2025 season.

13 minutes ago, JF87 said:

1.  Style of play

2.  Lack of recruiting foundation

3.  Player departures

---------------------

Win-loss record this year, while frustrating, is something that a coach can survive if you believe there is reason that it will be better in the near future.  The style of play has an incredibly low ceiling in terms of the ability to win.  Outside of McNeeley, we have no recruits ready or close to signing in 24 or 25.  And with no recruiting and player departures next year could be really, really, really ugly.

3 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

We may not have had as much on court success the last 25 years as we deserve but I can 100% say no fanbase has as much fun with coaching searches as we do and for that I am thankful. Maybe we can start having fun on the court soon. 

We cling to hope pretty damn well.

22 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Bruce Pearl worked his way up the corporate ladder for nearly two decades before landing a big boy basketball gig. Again, not saying Dusty May can’t or won’t succeed at Indiana, he absolutely can.

But it’s far from the grand slam many people have stated should IU go that route. It’s a bloop double at best.

I'll agree with that, May is not a sure thing. Almost nobody is. 

Pearl got his first major job at Tennessee, at age 45, after 4 years as a small school D-1 head coach. Dusty is 47, and has been a small school D-1 coach for 6 years now. Pearl coached D-II before that, while Dusty was a high major assistant - both are valid ways of working up the ladder.

If IU can nab an established coaching star, great. But we haven't been able to do that the last two times around. I would be happy if we end up with May, certainly happier than continuing on with Woodson.