Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Why don’t you sit next to him and explain everything to us dumb casual fans who didn’t play at your level for the next three games. Or just do the media for him since you speak for him. You are definitely not over it. You are for sure on one today.

What level did @Ngw7183 play at?

2 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Do you really think Shrews would leave ND? Yet he would have a better chance in the B1G at IU, than ND in the ACC for the most success. If that were to ever happen the forums would be in an out of control forest fire with news like that. Ha Ha

I think you could definitely see coaches not in the B1G or SEC trying to jump into one of those conferences for stability especially a coach from the ACC and their uncertainty.   Football driven for sure but basketball gets caught in the crossfire 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Why don’t you sit next to him and explain everything to us dumb casual fans who didn’t play at your level for the next three games. Or just do the media for him since you speak for him. You are definitely not over it. You are for sure on one today.

He's running away with the nomination for president of the Coach Mike Woodson Fan Club. Granted at this point it's almost uncontested.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

I don’t doubt you do but I said most, not all. Recruits can choose to talk about anything and I could post quote after quote of recruits bringing up the positive of the offensive system. 

You have to try real hard to not see the opportunity to burry 3s all game long. We just don’t have many guys confident to shoot them. MM is the most but you can still tell he isn’t that confident.  

Most of the 3p shots coming from these teams is not some crazy system. Some do for sure but not most. They simply use a high screen, pull up or off a kick out.

Now big ten play as a whole, yeah. It for sure scares guards away. 

That isn’t true for 3 year spans. If guys truly have a green light, our 3p volume would be much higher. Guys at most levels, especially this level, have to be told not to shoot it. There is no way for 3 years in a row we just keep bringing in kids that don’t have enough confidence to volume shoot. They are very obviously coached to be selective. 

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not sure but he said he was smarter and played at a higher level than everyone else on here earlier today. 

He has been directly asked several times exactly what level he played at, as well as what level his son played, and he continues to avoid answering the question. Despite making 928 other posts and responding to every other comment in the thread. He has chosen his words carefully, and I personally don’t think it was even basketball he played “at a high level.” My personal guess is he got a yellow belt in youth karate.

That isn’t true for 3 year spans. If guys truly have a green light, our 3p volume would be much higher. Guys at most levels, especially this level, have to be told not to shoot it. There is no way for 3 years in a row we just keep bringing in kids that don’t have enough confidence to volume shoot. They are very obviously coached to be selective. 

We also are instructed not to crash the offensive glass and to get back in transition which is bananas to me. Their are multiple reasons why shooting a lot of 3s is an advantage and not just because 3 is greater than 2. Offensive rebounds on 3 point shots is easier. It just is. More unpredictable and longer rebounds. So PPP goes up because offensive rebounding goes up.

Our offensive rebounding effort has always bothered me under Woodson. I can’t count the number of times we shoot a 3 and no one crashes the glass. Like, how is this possible?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, hoosierhoo said:

He has been directly asked several times exactly what level he played at, as well as what level his son played, and he continues to avoid answering the question. Despite making 928 other posts and responding to every other comment in the thread. He has chosen his words carefully, and I personally don’t think it was even basketball he played “at a high level.” My personal guess is he got a yellow belt in youth karate.

I’m guessing he has a lot of participation trophies at home. I honestly really had a lot of respect for him. But he’s really making me think about taking a break around here till after the season. 

2 hours ago, IU Prof said:

One thing I think would be interesting to hear from those who think Woodson should get another year is what the expectation should be for 24-25 if he returns? W/L, conference standing, NCAAs, etc. 

People may be talking past each other to some extent, with those advocating for another year simply having lesser standards for the program, thus the difference of opinion on Woodson's chances of "turning it around."

This is a great question and honestly one of the bigger reasons I'm ready to move on this year. If he comes back, we're likely looking at a big amount of roster turnover. The portal can fill holes quickly. But didn't we see recently that all teams with at least 7 portal additions this season are not going to make the tournament?  We could be in the position to take on that much roster turnover. A huge rebuild in year 4 at his age is concerning.

As well, my opinion is not just based on this season. The last 2 were a step in the right direction but I would say I was only pretty content, not thrilled. There have been flaws with Woody's team each season that have not been addressed. He doesn't play modern basketball. We got destroyed in all of our marquee OOC games. Plenty more to point out. I'm nowhere near convinced that changes.

So, we look at how recruiting is stacking up. He's a coach on the hottest of hot seats and that will not change any time soon. If 2025s don't want to play for him now, what changes next season? Do we believe things turn around enough to change minds? But, let's say they do....

In which case, back to your original question. It's hard to put a number on W/L's and a specific finish in the conference. I'd like to say top 4? Making the tournament is the minimum. But I truly believe that last season was the ceiling for a Mike Woodson team. Round of 32. This season we got to see what the floor of a Mike Woodson team is (though we might get to see the actual floor next year). And even if he pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets us back to the tourney and advances to the 2nd round.....does he even want to stick around past that? There's as good a chance that he just retires after getting things "back on track" as there is we fire him. If I truly believe there are way too many things that have to go right for next season to go well, and even in the unlikely event that happens I also truly believe there is still a significant chance we have a coaching change next season anyway......well I'm dusting off the open letter I posted several days ago highlightng why Mike Woodson deserves to enjoy an early retirement starting now (end of season).

Sorry....I really hate super long posts. I generally skip all of them. I don't know why I'm making it longer right now.

I think Dwight from the office had a yellow belt.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We also are instructed not to crash the offensive glass and to get back in transition which is bananas to me. Their are multiple reasons why shooting a lot of 3s is an advantage and not just because 3 is greater than 2. Offensive rebounds on 3 point shots is easier. It just is. More unpredictable and longer rebounds. So PPP goes up because offensive rebounding goes up.

Our offensive rebounding effort has always bothered me under Woodson. I can’t count the number of times we shoot a 3 and no one crashes the glass. Like, how is this possible?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Would agree. But I think the most obvious sign that we are poorly coached, not just poorly constructed, is when we play situational basketball (think Malik’s 5th foul last night), our guys are completely lost. These things should be practiced over and over, and no drew up in a timeout. Last night when we were fouling to close the gap on our fouls to give in case we needed to foul, everyone should’ve know exactly what to do and exactly how to execute it. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I mean the name of the thread is Fire Mike Woodson but we can’t even talk about it without someone telling us how wrong we are on what we see, we hear, what we want in the next coach. Pretty much anything. We should probably rename the board after him.

Woodson will make the needed changes, he said so. Nevermind that we're seeing some of the same problems Woodson's Knicks teams had like bad shooting and bad perimeter defense.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

No, we don’t have enough guys confident in taking them. MM is a freshman and is attempting more already than anyone last 3 years at 4.4 per game when top guys in conference are around 5.5.  I bet Liam shoots 5.5 to 6 in the same system. 

Now if we had guards who can create, confident and can shoot, that is where our team average falls. 

Said many of times it is the roster and Woody has to own that no matter the reasons. 

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I don’t think guys pass up good threes to put it on the floor and settle unless they’ve been coached to. And that doesn’t mean Mike Woodson is yelling not to shoot, but I do believe it’s made very clear what shots he prefers. I’m not there, so I’m not going to say I know what is happening, but a 3 year span is a pretty good sample size.