Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Honestly... I'd have a tough time telling you of any other programs that, before a terrible season has even ended and no momentum on the recruiting trail, would be willing to go into the following season with the same coach. We have HUGE roster holes to fill. We've seen how successful they were (not) with the portal last offseason. Same issues his entire tenure mostly still there. Only a fool would buy the argument that X being injured is the difference between this team being tournament-ready or not.
We couldn't get guards to play here over him and Trey - fine. Are we gonna be able to get ANY players when it's clear they're going to play for a losing team with a coach who is likely gone after the year? Another season like this and we'll be lucky if we can convince even "the next big thing" mid-major candidate to come here. If your stock is high, why on earth would you step into a mess like this? So that leaves us shopping in another undesirable aisle. I don't know how we break the cycle, or if the admin even wants to. 
That is my point after next year's dumpster fire what coach will want to come here. We will clearly probably have to settle for a mid major guy.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Idk how Scott Dolson could believe that this season is just a “fluke.” All the signs were there during Woodson’s first two seasons. 

Year 1 - we lose 7 of our last 9 games to finish the regular season, including 5 straight losses in February. We manage to win a couple of games in the conference tournament to sneak into the NCAA tournament, only to lose by 29 points in the first round.

Year 2 - we go into the season with sky high expectations. So many talks about this is the “deepest IU team in X years.” Had an ok but not great regular season. Lose by 16 points in the second round to a higher seed. Finish 23-12  

Big brain Dolson decides those results merit a million dollar raise. Woodson belly flops during portal season. 

Year 3 - Without an all-time great player in TJD to hide some or the warts, they’re all on display in Mike Woodson’s third season. Lose to UConn by 20 points. Lose to auburn by 28 points. Lose to Nebraska by 16 points. Lose to Purdue by 21 and 20 points. Lose to Wisconsin by 12 points. Lose to Penn State by 14 points. Throw everyone under the bus and blame everyone except yourself.

Can’t wait to see what year 4 has in store for us. 

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

That is my point after next year's dumpster fire what coach will want to come here. We will clearly probably have to settle for a mid major guy.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I don't even think Dusty is necessarily going to be the next big thing that some people do. But at this point, if given the choice between him and Woody next year... I'd consider Dusty a home run lol. Sad state of affairs in Bloomington. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk how Scott Dolson could believe that this season is just a “fluke.” All the signs were there during Woodson’s first two seasons. 

Year 1 - we lose 7 of our last 9 games to finish the regular season, including 5 straight losses in February. We manage to win a couple of games in the conference tournament to sneak into the NCAA tournament, only to lose by 29 points in the first round.

Year 2 - we go into the season with sky high expectations. So many talks about this is the “deepest IU team in X years.” Had an ok but not great regular season. Lose by 16 points in the second round to a higher seed. Finish 23-12  

Big brain Dolson decides those results merit a million dollar raise. Woodson belly flops during portal season. 

Year 3 - Without an all-time great player in TJD to hide some or the warts, they’re all on display in Mike Woodson’s third season. Lose to UConn by 20 points. Lose to auburn by 28 points. Lose to Nebraska by 16 points. Lose to Purdue by 21 and 20 points. Lose to Wisconsin by 12 points. Lose to Penn State by 14 points. Throw everyone under the bus and blame everyone except yourself.

Asking for clarification here... Did Dolson decide to give Woodson a raise or was there some sort of performance (?!?) clause that triggered it. I had assumed the latter, but if it was the former, then Dolson has no business being in his position, either.

39 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

People on here get upset when folks “attack his character,” but Mike Woodson’s attitude absolutely stinks. He exhibits an arrogance that a coach with his college coaching track record really has no business exhibiting. 

Not to mentioned he sucked as a NBA head coach as well.  Sub .500 winning percentage. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

People on here get upset when folks “attack his character,” but Mike Woodson’s attitude absolutely stinks. He exhibits an arrogance that a coach with his college coaching track record really has no business exhibiting. 

Agreed. The old adage "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up" certainly does not apply here.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At this rate my question/concern is whether the problem is Buckner or Dolson...

With Glass and McRobbie out, I'd like to believe Whitten (who I believe understands that athletics can be a real asset for a place like IU) and Dolson, may handle things differently than IU historically has... maybe it's more so the BOT having Dolson's hands tied? Any way you slice it - not smart that Dolson gave Woody a raise after last year. Rookie mistake? Idk... I'm just grasping at straws to find any reason to believe that all hope is not lost yet. 

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Asking for clarification here... Did Dolson decide to give Woodson a raise or was there some sort of performance (?!?) clause that triggered it. I had assumed the latter, but if it was the former, then Dolson has no business being in his position, either.

I don’t know for certain, but the press release at the time makes it sound like he decided to give it to him:

Upon his arrival, Coach Woodson immediately re-inserted our program into the national conversation both in terms of an elevated level of success on the court and in recruiting," said IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Dolson. "I knew that returning our program to the level that Hoosier fans rightfully expect would be a process that wouldn't happen overnight. I have been extremely pleased with the steps we have taken during the last two years. I believe under Coach Woodson's leadership, we have positioned the program to compete at the highest levels in recruiting, which in turn will enable us to compete at the highest levels within the Big Ten and in the NCAA Tournament."

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

At this rate my question/concern is whether the problem is Buckner or Dolson...

With Glass and McRobbie out, I'd like to believe Whitten (who I believe understands that athletics can be a real asset for a place like IU) and Dolson, may handle things differently than IU historically has... maybe it's more so the BOT having Dolson's hands tied? Any way you slice it - not smart that Dolson gave Woody a raise after last year. Rookie mistake? Idk... I'm just grasping at straws to find any reason to believe that all hope is not lost yet. 

The same Scott Dolson got taken behind the woodshed and beaten like a rented mule by Allen's agent.

29 minutes ago, TTT said:

Guys like Woodson and Allen and many others I have to give them credit whether earned or not whether fair or not they are some of the more well off financially people in the world….if they are just average in taking care of the money they have been given.

Throw in Archie on that list as well didn't he get like 10 mil for sucking!

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

The same Scott Dolson got taken behind the woodshed and beaten like a rented mule by Allen's agent.

Admittedly not super tuned into all of Dolson's tenure... but from what I can observe, still better than Fred Glass... not that that's a very high bar. Lol

18 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

@chris if as you say he is back for next year but you think that will be his last, does that mean he leaves next year regardless?  If we just make the NCAA but again are an early out is he still going to be gone (retire)?  If we somehow get to a sweet 16, but the prospects for the following year are questionable would we keep him for year 5?  

My hope is he will have a good year and will feel good turning the program over to someone ready to lead us for the next 20 years.

My brain tells me it goes a lot like this year, he will be told to retire or be fired.

Him & Buckner head off to the golf course in 2025 together

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My hope is he will have a good year and will feel good turning the program over to someone ready to lead us for the next 20 years.

My brain tells me it goes a lot like this year, he will be told to retire or be fired.

Him & Buckner head off to the golf course in 2025 together

I think the time of thinking the coaching hire being for 20+ years are over. I just don't see coaches today wanting to keep coaching at a place for 40+ years. That is why guys like McDermott or Pearl who are in their 60's still should be considered. If a coach can get us a great 8-10 years that is great.

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I think the time of thinking the coaching hire being for 20+ years are over. I just don't see coaches today wanting to keep coaching at a place for 40+ years. That is why guys like McDermott or Pearl who are in their 60's still should be considered. If a coach can get us a great 8-10 years that is great.

I will take what I get, but 20+ years sounds a heck of a lot better than 8-10. But I would like to see 8-10 years of consistency first then we can go 15-20