Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

I hate to tell you this but most power conference hires don't come from other power conferences. It will come from the mid major programs or assistants from high major programs. Mike Decourcy last night said in the last 10 years only 15% of power conference hires came from other power conference.

Again, does Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas hire mid major flavor of the month? Do you want to win or not?

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

If you had Millers resume at UD next to Mays resume at FAU without the names attached you would hire Miller 10/10.

No, I absolutely wouldn't, because I understand the situations they went into.  Just looking at numbers doesn't come close to fully evaluating the two.

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

Again, does Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas hire mid major flavor of the month? Do you want to win or not?

You really want to go with Duke and UNC.

Duke Scheyer no head coaching experience

UNC Davis no HC experience.

I have posted many times that most of the all time great coaches started at a mid major or lower. You just don't see great coaches leaving their jobs to go to other power conference teams

Oats Buffalo to Alabama

Musselman Nevada to Arkansas.

I post these two because these guys came up just like May did.

8 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

You really want to go with Duke and UNC.

Duke Scheyer no head coaching experience

UNC Davis no HC experience.

I have posted many times that most of the all time great coaches started at a mid major or lower. You just don't see great coaches leaving their jobs to go to other power conference teams

Oats Buffalo to Alabama

Musselman Nevada to Arkansas.

I post these two because these guys came up just like May did.

The last time you tried to make the mid major argument I told you these schools hire top assistants or proven coaches. None of those programs hire Dusty May.

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Archie Miller had a better resume coming out of UD in a tougher conference. Can’t believe fans think Dusty May is the answer.

Gosh how many times do we have to do this. I accept that no one can say Dusty is a sure thing. But no one can say definitively that he will fail either. 

And Anthony Grant got fired from Alabama and he probably has an even better resume than Archie at UD. Everyone wins there. Nobody has ever won at FAU. 

18 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

The last time you tried to make the mid major argument I told you these schools hire top assistants or proven coaches. None of those programs hire Dusty May.

Duke 

Coach K Army to Duke 

Scheyer No HC experience

UNC 

Smith NO HC experience

Guthridge No HC experience

Daugherty 1 year at ND 22-15

Williams got lucky he was a former assistant and a UNC alumni

Davis no HC experience.

So you would be happy if Fife stayed on our staff and then we hired him as our next coach.

UK hired Calamari despite never coaching in a power conference. Memphis and UMASS. Memphis is in the same conference as FAU

3 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Duke 

Coach K Army to Duke 

Scheyer No HC experience

UNC 

Smith NO HC experience

Guthridge No HC experience

Daugherty 1 year at ND 22-15

Williams got lucky he was a former assistant and a UNC alumni

Davis no HC experience.

So you would be happy if Fife stayed on our staff and then we hired him as our next coach.

UK hired Calamari despite never coaching in a power conference. Memphis and UMASS. Memphis is in the same conference as FAU

Calipari before UK:

IMG_8455.thumb.png.a8bb3a9ed1a7bae37495f0f794bc3ee1.pngIMG_8456.thumb.png.60f91540c9e42368753f1193b5ba36f3.png

In what world is that anything like Dusty May? 

Also you can't just say you can never hire another mid major coach because one failed. Just show me all of these great coaches who leave a power conference job for another power conference program. Don't need to believe me but like I said Decourcy said it only has happened 15% of the time in the last 10 years

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Exactly. It’s an IU love story. You HAVE to hire a proven guy

NOBODY proven is coming to IU.  If that is what you want you may as well switch teams.  

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Archie Miller got a ton of mileage out of being Sean Miller's brother. The media loved the idea that two brothers could coach winning college basketball teams and proceeded to blow Archie's success out of proportion. 

Last 4 seasons at Dayton he averaged 26 wins, made the tournament all four years and won the A10 twice.

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Woodson on radio show says we have played good basketball in spurts. Just not long enough to win. He needs to keep working with these guys to get them over that hump.
We have another hump to get over!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Please let it stop

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

NOBODY proven is coming to IU.  If that is what you want you may as well switch teams.  

Why? Louisville is gonna hire a proven guy. We should be able to hire a coach equivalent to Louisville or better based on history and conference affiliation.

Just now, Scotty R said:

I am not even saying I want May as the next coach but it is stupid to just say you should not hire another mid major coach because one failed

Literally no one is saying that. We’re saying we don’t want to hire a mid major coach with one great season in his coaching career at a time when the program is on life support. 

1 hour ago, kottke said:

Serious question: What proven guy are we going to hire? 

Beard = doubtful because of baggage 

Pearl = doubtful because of baggage and buyout 

Drew = maybe?, but he’s got a good thing going and apparently isn’t liked by Indiana high school coaches 

What does “proven” even mean?  Anything short of a national championship — that at least proves you can win the big one.  

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

Why? Louisville is gonna hire a proven guy. We should be able to hire a coach equivalent to Louisville or better based on history and conference affiliation.

Like who

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

It’s the ‘woe is us’ defeatist attitude that the administration wants us to have so they can excuse cheaping out and making a mediocre hire. It’s not “IU can’t.” It’s “IU won’t.” Use some of that surplus and offer $7 million a year. If you still can’t get a proven coach (they definitely could) then just shut down the program completely.