Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

What the hell makes him think the best players are in the portal.  Except for a handful of guys like Dickinson, Most of the portal guys are dudes looking for playing time.  They aren't super stars.  And our ability to attract those stars is suspect at best.  Next two months are going to be interesting.  
To make any difference he needs three or four guys like ware and Dickinson. All the top programs will be on those guys. He may get one but most will be sparks type players

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Man I really hope Coach Cig comes through because he is already on a really high pedestal.

I know it’s off topic, for the Woody/administration sucks thread, but looking forward to seeing if the Marlboro Man lives up to the hype (I think/hope he will).

If you understand anything about truly successful people (and I am not saying you don't), you'll learn that they focus on the process not the results.  Guys like Cig have a process that they have developed and trust.  That's why he's successful everywhere - they just drop the process into their new location.  Guys like Archie don't have that.  They can succeed at a place like Dayton which has the processes in place.  But becomes a failure at places without.  

We may not win them all next season, but I guarantee we'll be in a lot of games.  We will win some nobody expected to.  We'll be bowl eligible.  Book it.  :)   

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

If you understand anything about truly successful people (and I am not saying you don't), you'll learn that they focus on the process not the results.  Guys like Cig have a process that they have developed and trust.  That's why he's successful everywhere - they just drop the process into their new location.  Guys like Archie don't have that.  They can succeed at a place like Dayton which has the processes in place.  But becomes a failure at places without.  

We may not win them all next season, but I guarantee we'll be in a lot of games.  We will win some nobody expected to.  We'll be bowl eligible.  Book it.  :)   

Good. I'll plan on going back to spending money in the football program, already spend quite a bit for baseball, and no money going to basketball.. I'm not even sure how much time and energy I'll put into men's basketball. 

2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Twitter has some of the most delusional iu fans I have ever seen in my life. Now because we beat three bad teams they are doing cartwheels and are convinced everyone except ware is returning. They think Woodson will kill it in the portal and have a top 20 team. They are 100% convinced mm and trey are both coming back.

Where is that "Pot Meet Kettle" photo I saw the other day? Could uses it now.

6 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

To make any difference he needs three or four guys like ware and Dickinson. All the top programs will be on those guys. He may get one but most will be sparks type players

Oh what a picture you paint.  :)  

Do I understand Glass’ tenure correctly?

- Hired because power vacuum filled by Aussie / Gonso (no other schools would have sniffed him)

- Didn’t fire Tom in 2011 after year 3 of Crean was worse than year 2 to hire Stevens 

- Extended Crean, outbidding only ourselves in 2013, and thus unable to fire after the Syracuse loss and losing out again with Brad Stevens 

- Was still unable to evaluate Creans tenure and may have been forced to fire Crean? (That’s scary)

- Disrespectful to old IU guard, thus leading us to being forced to hire Woodson years later

-Poor evaluation of Archie during interviews

-Missed 7 of 11 tournaments for bball under his tenure

- Skimped on budget leading to poor seeding in 2016, Apr issues / bill of rights unable to bring McKinley Wright… also hamstrung us with recruits

- IU pays $24.5M to fire all of his hires. 2X football coaches fired 2X Basketball coaches fired

- Wrote a book after he was let go that he rebuilt Indiana athletics

- 3 years after he left almost every program gets immediately better, basketball still in the thick of the mess that he created.

10 years of the Aussie and Glass and we’re still feeling the impact today. 

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is correct. Woodson doesn't think HS kids can contribute their freshman year unless they are 5*. So he wants to build his team through the portal from here on out. He will only see HS kids if he has too. He also wants to get the new GM so they can go to AAU events so he doesn't have too. 

Oh that'll work splendidly. Kid want to have some sort of relationship with the HC, nothing could go wrong.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good. I'll plan on going back to spending money in the football program, already spend quite a bit for baseball, and no money going to basketball.. I'm not even sure how much time and energy I'll put into men's basketball. 

Same, I am not a rich man, but I donate what I can. Anything that could be used for basketball is done. It’s a petty and small protest, but it’s what I can do since running for BOT isn’t an option lol

Once again I feel like I have to share this every couple of years. I have never said I'm an insider, I've never said anyone should believe anything I say, I've never pushed anything I've heard as fact. I've never said you need to read anything I write or hear. All I have ever said is I will always share what I hear. If the mods want me to stop doing that I'm fine with that.
I didn't show up yesterday with an agenda. I've been here for many years. If you feel the need to take your shots at me, go for it, I'm a big boy. As someone told me yesterday I should disappear and come back with a different name. But I enjoy this board and the many friends I have made over the last 10 years. 
Dude screw em'. Keep doing what you do.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Once again I feel like I have to share this every couple of years. I have never said I'm an insider, I've never said anyone should believe anything I say, I've never pushed anything I've heard as fact. I've never said you need to read anything I write or hear. All I have ever said is I will always share what I hear. If the mods want me to stop doing that I'm fine with that.

I didn't show up yesterday with an agenda. I've been here for many years. If you feel the need to take your shots at me, go for it, I'm a big boy. As someone told me yesterday I should disappear and come back with a different name. But I enjoy this board and the many friends I have made over the last 10 years. 

Only shots that should ever be involved with you Chris are ones with tequila. 

31 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ll save football for another day but the basketball program is in much better shape than football was when Dolson finally moved Allen out. If people think Woody is out of his league, he is light years ahead of where Allen was. 

The goal isn’t to have basketball better than IU football, that’s a low bar. The goal is to be the best basketball program in the Big Ten and to compete with Kansas, UConn, Etc for national titles. So being in better shape than football is still miles away from where the fanbase expectations are for the program. 

Is there a legitimate plan to reach a final four and national championship under Woodson? If so, does the plan also include a firm foundation for the next coach to come in after Woodson retires to not have to rebuild a roster from scratch because the previous coach didn’t recruit multi year high school players?

I wonder if the old guard who craved an iu guy who played for knight is loving this nba farm team approach Woodson has. I think Woodson and happy would be best friends if happy was a real person.

10 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

Pretty pathetic if that’s true. We’re talking about the guy who was hired with no coaching search and who got a huge extension after Penix made him look better than he was. The future of IU basketball is probably the lowest it’s been since right after Kelvin Sampson and if that’s still better than football that’s sad. The IU athletic department has done a horrendous job with the football and basketball programs over the past 20 years. Most schools can seem to at least be successful at one but IU has done a fantastic job at being consistently bad at both. Congrats to you all, impressive work

I can't believe that she had the nerve to bring up the football program.  We all told you when Allen was hired that this carnival barker wasn't remotely qualified to be a P5 HC.  We all told you the COVID season where they didn't play in front of fans and didn't beat a single team that finished in the top 25 was a total hoax.  Yet you hired him and gave him that ludicrous extension and $35M buyout anyway.  Unbelievable how dumb these people are.

57 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

The same people who just retained Woodson are basically the same people (same mindset at least) who made this abomination our HC for 6 years.  Sorry if I have no faith in the decision making.

Same school but not the same people. 

37 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Man I really hope Coach Cig comes through because he is already on a really high pedestal.

I know it’s off topic, for the Woody/administration sucks thread, but looking forward to seeing if the Marlboro Man lives up to the hype (I think/hope he will).

Maybe that's the plan. Even if Cignetti is wildly mediocre, which would be an improvement for IUFB, they can point to the s***show that IUBB is with Woodson as a way things could be worse.

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is correct. Woodson doesn't think HS kids can contribute their freshman year unless they are 5*. So he wants to build his team through the portal from here on out. He will only see HS kids if he has too. He also wants to get the new GM so they can go to AAU events so he doesn't have too. 

Did he have to run this strategy/plan by anyone? Or was it autonomous? Because I would think this would be a very bad look for the program and the university. To tell high school kids -- particularly those in Indiana -- that IU will not have an interest in you unless you are a five-star seems to be sending us down a rabbit hole from which it would be difficult to extricate ourseves. Hope I'm not sounding too dramatic, but it seems as if it could cause irreparable harm to relationships with high school coaches and effectively kill recruiting in the state. 

Am I supposed to feel better because Woodson apparently isn't as atrocious as Tom friggin Allen? 

It's very hard to interpret this all as anything other than internal dysfunction, lack of direction, etc... frankly it looks like there is a total absence of "having a clue" among our administration. I'll definitely cheer for the team next year but I expect the same results and won't invest my time, money and energy into a program that's apparently controlled by good old boys from the glory days who want to act like a middle school posse at the expense of the program. Sure Dolson may not have generated all that smoke but somebody did.

Whatever you believe happened, there is no way around the fact it's been "messy" over there. For years, but this is the latest milestone on our journey to restoring the glory of Old IU....................

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Did he have to run this strategy/plan by anyone? Or was it autonomous? Because I would think this would be a very bad look for the program and the university. To tell high school kids -- particularly those in Indiana -- that IU will not have an interest in you unless you are a five-star seems to be sending us down a rabbit hole from which it would be difficult to extricate ourseves. Hope I'm not sounding too dramatic, but it seems as if it could cause irreparable harm to relationships with high school coaches and effectively kill recruiting in the state. 

You're not being dramatic, it most certainly will for at LEAST 2 or 3 years